UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First hand news from SDCC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: If the GITD Stay Puft/ GB2 Venkman sold out, does that mean us non-attendees have to resort to ebay or if we put in a pre-order with say AFX, will we get them there? Was a certain amount put aside for on-line retailers soliciting the SDCC sets or was it more like "what ever is left over you guys can have. If we sell out at the show, you get nadda."?

Nothing is certain in the new world of Minimates especially pre-orders. I would imagine however that it would be unlikely that any retailer would take all there stock to SDCC purely because of the logistics of doing so. The GB stuff is however very new territory & anything might happen. Happier now :no:

Seems like it would be bad business to take preorders and then not follow through on them.

But then again, we've had a string of that behavior happen recently with some of the Marvel stuff, haven't we?

I'm inclined to think that the set being sold out at the DST booth means exactly that, that it is sold out at their booth. If you preordered from another store, booth, etc, then you should probably be good to go.

I'm inclined to think that the set being sold out at the DST booth means exactly that, that it is sold out at their booth. If you preordered from another store, booth, etc, then you should probably be good to go.

there are plenty of them at many other retailers around the con. There shouldnt be a problem getting one if you want it.

On a side note, the base body under the stay puft suit is also glow in the dark, but, alas, there are no extra normal hands and feet to make a glowing blank. I was kind of bummed about that. Chuck and Matt shot me a blank stare when I asked them if they had thought about that. :blush:

Edited by Lobsterman

Normally this would go in the eBay thread, but here are some of the SDCC mates:

AFX keychain - blue Fanboy

green Fanboy

Dark Avengers 2 boxset (Ares, Ms Marvel, Hawkeye, Sentry) on-hand

Ghostbusters blank

I thought only the first DA set was being sold at SDCC?

I thought this one was at SDCC while the one with Iron Patriot and Daken would be at TRU.com and TRU's.

Both sets are here; I've seen the set with ares and ms marvel at DST, AFX and a number of independent retailers. I've only seen the set with Iron Patriot at the Entertainment Earth booth. Also, it's six bucks more for some reason.

Both sets are here; I've seen the set with ares and ms marvel at DST, AFX and a number of independent retailers. I've only seen the set with Iron Patriot at the Entertainment Earth booth. Also, it's six bucks more for some reason.

posted by Julius Marx on his Twitter account:

"DST just announced BattleBeasts minimates. They now own the brand."

So that answers the licensing question, I guess.

Also from Julius:

"Tru minimates 2-pack. Molicule man and black costume spiderwoman coming. They were the runners up in the TRU MM poll."

And more from Julius:

"The silver age xmen team are coming to Minimates"

No surprise there.

Edited by boyd

Regarding Stay Puft and Peter being sold out...

I assume... just based on every other year, ever, since minimates were launched... that they'll be available from Diamond at Wizard World Chicago in two weeks two.

Every year I've gone to WWC and not SDCC (Because I live in Chicago), and every year, I've been able to get all the San Diego exclusive minimates directly from Diamond's booth. (There was only one year I couldn't, 2008, because unlike most years, SDCC was AFTER WWC that year. That was the ONLY time.)

It would NOT surprise me if they've sold out of whatever stock they brought to the con, but it would also NOT suprise me if they have more stock set aside for future events, online sales and other things. It's just good business practice. Not putting all their eggs in one basket and all.

That's not to say I couldn't be wrong. You never know. Buuuuuut, based on past years, I'm assuming if I show up to diamond's booth early on at WWC I'll be able to get Peter and Stay Puft, among other San Diego exclusives. I hope I'm not wrong.

Edited by Gillbob316

Also from Julius:

"Tru minimates 2-pack. Molicule man and black costume spiderwoman coming. They were the runners up in the TRU MM poll."

Whoaaaaaa...... Hang on... So still no Mohawk Storm?? Despite her being the highest voted in the poll on the AA site!

T.

Panel notes:

- DST owns battle beast license

- No retail interest in generic/army builders (ninjas, cops, etc); they try to work them in on some 2packs and playsets

- won't sell blanks for customizing; keeping them as con handouts

- want to keep going w/ miniflyers; asked for audience suggestions on vehicles; liked horse, motorcycle ideas

- may do more fan polls; said Secret Wars poll was "moderately successful"

- molecule man and spiderwoman as Secret Wars TRU 2pack confirmed; same assortment as warpath/angel

- GB is doing very well at TRU; good chance of wave 3, but trying not to jump the shark

- chuck mentioned Swordsman as a "for example" for a tru wave (comment on team building)

- generally 2 per case at retail, unless they really need to move a fringe character (MS/BE)

- First appearance Xmen box set confirmed

- Chuck likes the idea of a non-flame flight base, will consider it

- new caprica tigh and starbuck: most likely not

- vision for minimates.com: site for 7yr old kids to play games; pushing product to young audience, Art Asylum is more for fans. 

- want to keep going w/ miniflyers; asked for audience suggestions on vehicles; liked horse, motorcycle ideas

Did anyone suggest the DeLorean or Ecto-1?

- GB is doing very well at TRU; good chance of wave 3, but trying not to jump the shark

Awesome to hear that the line is doing good.

- First appearance Xmen box set confirmed

Yesssss.

It is weird every year I het all excited by

the panel and every year disappointed by the results

battle beasts eh, pass for me

I was hoping for more marvel announcements

of course I think. ENI. Stole their thunder before sdcc

any way was hoping. Kang. Or modok.

Still a strong start to marvel next year

swordsman...??? hmmm I like that idea( to think I was about to make a custom, regardless I'm still making him)but what the heck is a "for example"?

ouch on the storm...but heck I want that molecule man/spiderwoman(i voted for her in the Tru poll).