UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Laboratory Playset revealed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its probably important to realize that the reason we're getting a generic playset instead of a Danger Room, Daily Bugle, etc, and the reason it comes with generic figures is likely due to restrictions in their licenses. So, don't hold your breath on Jackal or Lizard in this set.

As most of you have probably figured out, this was the playset I was referring to from Wizard World. Chuck said they considered other materials but they decided in the cardboard to keep the cost down. He also assured us that the stock would be sturdy, not unlike what they use for board games. I, for one, am really excited for this, since it gives me more vertical display room, so less of my mates will be stuck in a crowd staring at the back of another heroes head :P.

*edit* Upon further inspection, this would also make a freakin sweet heroclix landscape too

Edited by Randymarsh

I have to say, that is pretty underwhelming. I like the idea, and the generic minimates should be awesome, but the detail is really lacking on the playset. The design is a bunch of rectangles and hexagons. There is very little recognizable. How about pictures of tables covered with chemicals? How about some type of mixing drums? More control panels?

The exterior shot isn't too bad, there is certainly more detail there. It really depends what the price of this is to see if it will be successful.

not to burst any of your bubbles but they never said it was gonna be a generic minimate,all they said was a gaurd and an animal,all we know it could be a H.A.M.M.E.R agent and lizard.

It would have stated it was for Marvel then.....?

not to burst any of your bubbles but they never said it was gonna be a generic minimate,all they said was a gaurd and an animal,all we know it could be a H.A.M.M.E.R agent and lizard.

It would have stated it was for Marvel then.....?

It has always been said that the playsets were intended to be generic that way less restrictions on them and more playability could be had with them

Jeff of the Miniacs

So this is where that gaurd guy in the silver and the crocodile Battle Beast are going, eh?

It is indeed where its going. I still think there's some stability issue when I saw it at the 'con but a simple fix would be to include proper sized plastic clips for the middle connection. This is really only an issue when its unfolded into the larger (what I guess is the 'lab') set.

I'm still freaking out about Battle Beasts. They better do something cool with this. It will make me happy. Or else.

The Laboratory playset is listed in the August 2009 Previews (#251). According to Previews it will be retail at $29.99

I don't know if someone here have access to this publication. If so it would be great to have scans of the Minimates pages (from p.352 to p.353).

[EDIT] Forgot to talk about the release date that is announced at the 12/30/09 always according to Previews.

Edited by sylvain

I'm really more curious as to how Takara/Hasbro could let go of their ownership to something transformers related.

Yeah, same here. I mean, even though it was a dead licensee it was still a huge money maker at the time. And aren't Hasbro/Takara separate?

What? Fork up 30 bucks for some cardboard and two mates? I find that both hilarious and sad. Hell, I don't even think anyone should pay 20 bucks, I'd say 15 is much better. That just seems over the top. :confused:

Now I know the whole "well nobody is saying you have to buy it" shtick, but I think it's ridiculous for anyone to pay that much. Some of their best/better products are so much cheaper than that!

I think I heard they would be closer to 40 at the con, but I heard a lot of things so I by no means stand by my statement 100%.

Hasbro and Takara are sister companies and have been since the beginning of transformers. Often Takara will work out difficult transformer designs and Hasbro will go from there. Lots of teamwork, and lots of Takara being way cooler. :)

Not to change the subject, but Takara is way cooler, no doubt. You see the EZ Collection Devastator? They put our big, clunky, NON TRANSFORMING, Devy to shame. D:

So I guess they both agreed to give the line up. Oh well, hopefully DST will do it good (by making the grin reefer). :P

Edited by McDurg