UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Laboratory Playset revealed

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/

straight from DSTs site!!

Diamond Select Toys is excited to announce the first playset designed specifically for Minimates is coming to store later this year! The Minimates Laboratory Playset is perfect for your favorite Minimate lines from Marvel Comics to Battlestar Galactica and as an added bonus can also be reconfigured for three and three-quarter inch toys!

Constructed using a unique fold-up design, the Minimates Laboratory Playset is designed for any toy line between two and four inches. Special removable floor panels can add extra rooms for your smaller figures such as Minimates, or give your taller toys some much needed breathing room. The exterior of the playset also features an urban cityscape appearance - totaling three playsets in one!

Also included in this set are two exclusive Minimates - an armed guard to protect your playset and a yet-to-be-revealed all-new animal-related Minimate sure to delight fans looking to see where Minimates are headed in the future. Look for the Minimates Laboratory Playset in the August issue of Diamond Previews and be sure to stay tuned for more updates as San Diego Comic Con approaches!

man this is sweet news....an armed guard and an animal related minimate?? cant wait to see what those look like!

Jeff of the Miniacs

Edited by minijeff

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animal-related Minimate....my first thoughts were "I'll be a 'Monkey's Uncle"'? however.....

'Headed in the future' ? It wouldn't take 'Einstein' too long to work out ......a cryptic reference to .......

BACK TO THE FUTURE 4

My personal hopes lead towards the production of a Lock-Jaw, anything else is gravy. Horses would be welcome too!

That looks over large and very flimsy to me. I think it's likely to sell more for the included 'mates rather than the product itself.

My sentiments exactly. Never-the-less, it's an interesting experiment (no pun intended) and generic 'mates are always welcome! It would be cool as Hell if these could eventually lead to specifically licensed sets to compliment the tv/movie lines. Who wouldn't be thrilled with say Ghostbusters HQ, Galactica, Star Trek, etc. sets?

*Those lil' hexagon shapes on the floors remind me of dream project I've been kicking around for a year or so for some clear Minimate/LEGO stands that could be customized by inserting printed images, logos, etc. underneath. The idea stemmed from the BSG dog-tags (hexagonal shape). I just don't know how I'd go about manufacturing these. :confused:

Edited by cdubya

Guard dog would make sense - really hoping for a lab monkey, though.

Actually, the fact that they're even making generic Minimates - like a security guard or "animal" - gives me hope that the line can move into new territory and be like Playmobil - non-licensed themed sets like farms or houses or airports that are perfect for kids.

The exterior looks better than the interior. I was hoping for some accessories to be included, table, chairs, desk, maybe a staircase or elevator. Meh... at least its something. My guess for the animal mate is a guard dog. I'll pick it up for the exterior if the price is right.

Not too crazy about the possibly flimsy cardstock(?) that appears to have been used, but the fold-up design and the accompanying generic Minimates (:woot:) are intriguing. I'm with Rheul here: DST should maybe sweeten the deal with some mini-scale furniture/machinery/lab equipment and stuff.

Guesses on the "animal" mate: I was gonna say "horse" but that wouldn't have fit with the lab set-up, so I guess maybe it's some sort of guard dog or chimp (or *other* experimental specimen - ANIMAL TESTING IS BAD, BTW :P)

If the lab playset "experiment" proves successful, maybe DST can release some other themed sets in the future... I'm thinking a mansion, a warehouse, a city street, a seedy bar, a jungle... *stops before the myriad of possibilities induces madness*

Animal related... Guard Dog makes sense. But what if it's horror animal? Like Werewolf! Now a Werewolf Minimate would be

I'm liking your thinking... maybe it's a radioactive fish monster! Or a Sasquatch! Or a dinosaur! Or Batista! :lol:

Animal related... Guard Dog makes sense. But what if it's horror animal? Like Werewolf! Now a Werewolf Minimate would be

I'm liking your thinking... maybe it's a radioactive fish monster! Or a Sasquatch! Or a dinosaur! Or Batista! :lol:

Or another Ozzy Osborne perhaps? It's close enough.

Wow!! That's pretty damn cool. I could care less about flimsy carboard; it'll be more of a display than a "playset" anyway. But, like a lot of us, i like the outside better. ;)

The generic minimate thing is just incredible. Security guards sound great; here's hoping the get an officialy release of somewhat so we can get multiples without shoveling cash for more sets. Would've rather had a guard variation than an animal, but i'll wait and see where this goes.

I think this is a good idea for DST to test the waters on unlicensed stuff. It's not like they are giving us a police station, it's a lab that can be used for Marvel, BSG, etc... I think that if it sells because of the figs, like a lot of us want, we''ll see plenty of generic cops, fireman, etc... soon

Lab to me spells some half animal/half man Island of Dr. Moreau thing. Werewolf seems the safest bet.

I'd wager the thing will be much more sturdy than the pictures show. It would be nice to get some Minimate sized doll house (err, sorry PLAYSET) furniture for the thing. A table, chair, and a couple of crates shouldn't bump the price point up too much.

I'd put retail in the ballpark of $23.99.

I bought this for Castle Doom.

cover_lg.jpg

http://www.sjgames.com/heroes/castles/