UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Secret Wars boxset revealed

groundhog7s

Obviously I don't know what the order is or how many votes there were, so this proves nothing (other than I just wasted my time),

:P

Well, the energy forms are completely different mates, so combining their votes would make no sense.

And while the transparency of the AA vote was nice, the TRU page would have been designed by TRU employees, not DST, so I'm not sure how that fits into the conspiracy theory. Plus even with the results posted on the AA poll, there were plenty of claims around here that DST were fudging the numbers in favor of Spider-Man.

And, as you say, we have no idea what the reach of the TRU poll was, so there doesn't seem to be anything to really back up your claim that the results are highly (or at all) unlikely. One thing that would give the TRU poll a lot more votes is that it seemed like everyone who voted at the AA blog voted again on TRU.com (and not for the same mate, judging by posts around here, but for whoever they felt was behind in the DST poll at that point).

Governments rig elections because they have to have them if they want to appear democratic and legitimate. Toy companies don't rig fan polls, because why on earth would they? They can produce whatever they want through regular releases, and the fan poll was their own idea.

None of this changes the fact that not getting Storm sucks, but there you go. Anyway, welcome to the boards! ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRU.com just gets a lot more traffic than AA's website obviously, from a very diverse group of people looking to buy baby clothes, My Little Pony, video games, etc. I think that explains why those results apparently outweigh the AA results by such a wide margin, and why we got the wacky results. I understand why they would list the poll on TRU.com--they want to attract more casual fans to the Minimate license, and figure that the "average toy fan" will give them a different kind of feedback regarding the sales potential of Minimates than would hardcore Minimate fans--but therein lies one problem for us, since we know there was already a Spider-Woman, and even hardcore Marvel comics fans may not know that. I think it also accounts for Doctor Doom and Beyonder II, since there are probably a lot of actual Secret Wars fans (comics and toys) who saw that and thought they were fitting and pretty cool.

Well I'm going to throw in my two cents and say that the 2-pack leaves me much happier. I still want punk Storm, but seeing that we got Molecule Man and Spider-Woman is great.

By the way, I'm only really interested in Spider-Woman, so if someone just wants the new Molecule Man, we can go halfsies on this pack when it eventually hits stores.

Yeah, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, I'm just in a mood to rant cause I want that Mohawk Storm pretty bad, and I was so happy she won the poll. In the future I hope they just run one poll, whether the results are published or not, cause this setup was kinda designed to alienate those of us watching the poll results on the first poll.

I also doubt that there was a huge number of votes on the TRU poll.

Yeah, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, I'm just in a mood to rant cause I want that Mohawk Storm pretty bad, and I was so happy she won the poll. In the future I hope they just run one poll, whether the results are published or not, cause this setup was kinda designed to alienate those of us watching the poll results on the first poll.

I also doubt that there was a huge number of votes on the TRU poll.

I gotta admit - 'tampering' entered my mind too when i saw the final results. I had a hard time believing that Beyonder out ranked Storm, especially on a Toys'R'Us poll where i thought people would be far less likely to recognise an obscure character like Beyonder.

I'm pretty happy to see a runner-up set. My ideal set would have been Capt Marvel, Storm, Spider-woman & Molecule Man - so at least i can get 3 out of the 4 i wanted - it's just kind of a bummer that i need to buy 6 'Mates to get 3 that i actually want. And an even bigger bummer that we're gonna have to wait a bit longer for a Mohawk Storm. . .

Edited by Nessex

Is it possible that not everyone likes Storm with a mohawk? Three of the top six are new characters, Doom is a huge villian in the Marvel U. (and was big in Secret Wars), Spider-Woman is a better looking update of a harder to find variant and Spider-Man is big enough that he could probably be voted in as govenor of a large west coast state if the condition were right. I can totally see how Storm didn't make the cut on a larger scale vote and, personally, don't think there was any tampering in this. It doesn't make me happy, but I think it's legit.

I know it has been tossed around that maybe we will get Storm in another 2 pack but we could also see a possible box set based on Inferno. That set would fricking rock. Pick any of the major players in that and you get one killer set.

Well, I have been extremely ticked off about this, but now that we know Storm isn't going to be included, I hope that they put her in a regular wave and not do something snarky like making her a TRU exclusive. It would be a shame to make such a popular choice hard to find. What bugs me the most is if they hadn't included her in the line-up and then she hadn't have WON, then I would be happy with all of the great stuff that DST has been offering...but dangling my favorite character in front of my nose and then taking it away under suspicious circumstances is just awful :lol: ...and I do NOT think the polls were legit. Oh well, at least I'll be getting her soon (albeit in her 90's outfit). OK, I'm finished ranting.

This seems to be the best possible result, as we're getting two 'mates that likely would never have seen the light of day outside of Secret Wars (Molecule Man & the Beyonder), as well as the difficult-to-work-in Captain Marvel and the improved version of the tough-to-find Arachne/Spider Woman. The Spiderposse/commercial apologists get their Spidey variant, and Doom is always welcome. There are numerous other places that Mohawk Storm can be worked into the line (c'mon Inferno Boxset) so I'm sure we'll see her sooner or later. It's not like there isn't another new Storm coming out shortly anyway, so we can wait a bit on a fourth variant of the character.

Edited by metaphorge

• 2 weeks later...
I know it has been tossed around that maybe we will get Storm in another 2 pack but we could also see a possible box set based on Inferno. That set would fricking rock. Pick any of the major players in that and you get one killer set.

or Fall of the Mutants!

Dazzler + Mullett Rogue= Awesome! And they can reuse the mullett for Longshot!

:buttrock:

I'm sure there are scores of mulleted characters (real and fictional) who could use a nice, mullet hairpiece. C'mon, DST! Do this thing!

Considering that the mohawk hairpiece has already been tooled for the Dark Reign set, it seems unlikely that Storm WOULN'T be made at some point. Who ELSE could the 'bushy' mohawk piece be used for? It would look wrong on Imperial Guard Gladiator.

I'm okay with additional Secret Wars 2-packs. It would be great to get Rocky Grimm, maybe a She-Hulk in FF costume, Klaw, Wrecking Crew, etc.

they should have armor war boxset

Swap the Mk II Beetle for Stingray... just for some not colored red and or silver.

And for the record, of the top six characters in the DST poll, Storm had THE best chance of turning up somewhere else of anyone not named Spider-Man. But it's a very specific look Storm kept for a few years, 20 years ago. You've got to be in your mid thirties to really have remembered it well in comics, outside of reprints and back issues. It never made it into any of her cartoon appearances as her main look, and certainly hasn't made any toy appearances outside of an ML variant. In short, it screams collectors' market. Not knocking it, think it was one of the more appropriate choices in the poll, but I can totally see how it didn't do well in mass market poll, X-man or no.

The mistake was, I suspect, miscommunication from DST and TRU on how the polls would work. If DST had know TRU's poll would be non-transparent, they would not have made theirs either. And that's where the problem lay- we got our "face all set" for Storm based on the DST numbers, and it didn't happen.

Toy r us exlusive

iron man (water armor) http://www.ironmanarmory.com/hydroesp2.jpg

stingray

(one in every box so you can spend 40.00$ if you buy it on ebay ;) )

If they do make this, with those parameters, on your suggestion, I will track you down and beat you with your own green tail. Or you could just hand me $40, your call. ;)

Not to sound overly dramatic, but as I've said before my local TRU is ridiculously over scalped. Finding anything TRU exclusive that might even begin to have secondary market value is impossible. A couple of scalpers arrive at the TRU every morning when it opens, every single day. It's frustrating.

Toy r us exlusive

iron man (water armor) http://www.ironmanarmory.com/hydroesp2.jpg

stingray

(one in every box so you can spend 40.00$ if you buy it on ebay ;) )

If they do make this, with those parameters, on your suggestion, I will track you down and beat you with your own green tail. Or you could just hand me $40, your call. ;)

Not to sound overly dramatic, but as I've said before my local TRU is ridiculously over scalped. Finding anything TRU exclusive that might even begin to have secondary market value is impossible. A couple of scalpers arrive at the TRU every morning when it opens, every single day. It's frustrating.

:blink: