UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Secret Wars boxset revealed

groundhog7s

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. Captain Marvel and the Beyonder are full of win just based on fleshing out the marvel U. Spider-Man is so tired as a minimate that of course I don't like him. And Doom gets a big meh. We just got another one in the Villains set. Not to mention this look is a one off that won't really fit with any other mates.

Then came the TRU poll where everybody was able to vote multiple times and everything turned out to be pretty stupid and senseless.

As you say, the TRU poll wasn't transparent, so we don't actually know that any of that multiple voting counted. If the results were compiled by DST, they likely weeded out the double IP addresses after the fact -- they certainly had enough time between the polls closing and this announcement <_<

I agree with what you're saying though, about the clear rules.

I'm disappointed about Storm, but I'm going to get the set if I can, there's still 3 cool minimates there (yes, I like the Spider-man, leave me alone).

I wish I could say the same, but Captain Marvel is essential, and Secret Wars Doom is cool for some kids of the 80s like myself. No Mohawk Storm does piss me off, though. I guess I'll have to hope that we get some of these in some other format, as Minijeff suggests.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm a little miffed at this line-up, but I'm not fretting yet. We may still see Storm and some of the others in future 2-packs. We have and are seeing past mate offerings showing up. Look how long it took Gambit and Psylocke to come out. All in all I'll pick up this set(the completist in me will make sure of that. ;) )

Too bad we're not getting that punk Storm. Hopefully they find another way to release it.

I'm just glad we'll be getting Monica as Captain Marvel! :)

that mohawk version of storm would have been sweet, no doubt about it. instead we get another damn spidey... bleh. oh, well!

question: what's the deal with the TRU dark avengers exclusive box set, though? are they not going to offer a pre-order on that set as well? or has it already been offered?

Pretty sure they are doing what they must have done with the BSG and GB 'Mates--bought a bunch of pre-orders from their website, and are jacking up the price significantly. Here, they are charging about $11 more per 4-pack. But, if you live outside the U.S., I guess this could end up being a good deal. That's how they have justified this kind of behavior in the past--as providing a "service" to non-U.S. collectors who can't get store exclusives in person.

Here is the price from TRU.com:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3531477

Edited by karamazov80

Looks like BBTS is up to their old tricks again:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

I'm not too thrilled with this set, so i'm not shedding too many tears - but that's a pretty tight practice. They're almost doubling the price. When you include shipping to anywhere outside the states, you end up paying at least 3 times the retail price!

Edited by Nessex

Looks like BBTS is up to their old tricks again:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

I'm not too thrilled with this set, so i'm not shedding too many tears - but that's a pretty tight practice. They're almost doubling the price. When you include shipping to anywhere outside the states, you end up paying at least 3 times the retail price!

I like to think of it as more "As close as assured to getting a set as possible vs. ebay with a maybe and possibility of even more variable prices and postage and TRU's question mark distribution at bricks and mortar outlets".

that mohawk version of storm would have been sweet, no doubt about it. instead we get another damn spidey... bleh. oh, well!

question: what's the deal with the TRU dark avengers exclusive box set, though? are they not going to offer a pre-order on that set as well? or has it already been offered?

just ordered that dark avengers set through TRU this morning. can't wait to check that baby out up close!

I too am not too thrilled about this set. Doc Doom looks a little funky by today's standards, but I understand that is how he looked in the comics at the time. The whole set looks really dated IMHO. But then again, at some point I will pick it up. Call me weird but minimates are part of my life.

The following rant is in response to the post on AFI with the TRU secret wars minimates 2 pack, which is labeled "runners up from the TRU poll".

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/to...inimates-2-pack

I'm gonna sound like a little baby, and I know that's annoying, but.....

WTH? Mohawk Storm finished 1st in the first poll they put up. It ran the longest, and you could see the results as it went. I was checking it everyday. Late in the voting they opened a different poll on a different site with hidden results. Now they have announced a 4-pack of the winners and a 2-pack of "runners up" and Mohawk Storm is not in either. So are they really trying to say that the number one vote getter in the poll that most likely had more total votes than the hidden poll couldn't even scratch the top 6 when they combined the votes? It's just highly unlikely.

We'll probably get her anyway, it's just the principle of it. All the Marvel Minimate stuff lately has been awesome, and the new stuff at the con looks great too, but what's the deal here? What's the point in having us vote if you're just gonna make what you want anyway?

Ranting on your first post :ohmy: Good for you :D Can't argue too much with anything you've said either.

Ha! I've discussed minimates for awhile on Fwoosh and AFI, but I've just been a lurker here. My annoyance with this poll motivated me to join this forum to find another place to complain. :biggrin:

I just messed around with the math. If you take the numbers from the first poll and pretend that the vote totals were the same for the 2nd poll.....and then switch the order of characters by putting the 4 from the box set in the top 4, and the 2 from the 2-pack at 5 and 6, and then total them up, Storm would still have to finish 9th or 10th to not make the top 6 overall. And if you combine the votes for Beyonder and Captain Marvel with their energy forms and do the same thing, Storm would have to finish 8 out of 8 to not make the top 6.

Obviously I don't know what the order is or how many votes there were, so this proves nothing (other than I just wasted my time), but it does suggest that it is highly unlikely that she finished out of the top 6 overall. They may have merged the votes on the energy forms into the totals for Beyonder and Captain Marvel, but I'm not sure that changes it too much. I doubt that Storm finished last in the 2nd poll.

In my own defense, I wouldn't bitch so much if I didn't love these. Every time I look at my Marvel collection I shake my head thinking how awesome it would be if DC was into wave 30+. If they were hitting the kind of depth of characters that the Marvel ones have, wow.