UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Secret Wars boxset revealed

groundhog7s

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to just add to the belly aching, but I voted for Storm. I convinced friends who did not have an interest in mates to vote Storm. I went to the TRU site once a week and clicked Storm about twenty times. I could care less who else is in this boxset I just wanted Storm. I am a completist so I will be buying these, but god it ticks me off. Okay done with that. I agree that these may be just protos but there is something horribly wrong with Capt. M's skin tone. The Beyonder will look good next to a Dazzler, if we ever get one. I do like the Doom though.

Pretty underwhelming set. I wouldn't fret too much on Storm; you just know that they won't waste that Daken mohawk mold...she'll appear in the near future. ;)

I wonder if DST will chime in with their story of how the boxed set line up was chosen (most likely not), because it certainly wasn't with the voting system they had set up for this grand occassion. Anybody going to SDCC 09, harrass 'em (DST) until they give you a suitable answer to this line up.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I wonder if DST will chime in with their story of how the boxed set line up was chosen (most likely not), because it certainly wasn't with the voting system they had set up for this grand occassion. Anybody going to SDCC 09, harrass 'em (DST) until they give you a suitable answer to this line up.

From what Ive heard/been told Storm missed the set by not many votes....the totals posted were only from the DST half of the poll, TRU held a poll as well and we never saw those numbers hence the difference in the DST totals and the final line-up. Much like the news about the Wolverine movie minimates not being done yet I suspect that the Secret Wars ones wont be limited to this one boxset

Jeff of the Miniacs

Bah! Beyonder wasn't even seen in Secret Wars. Molecule Man would have been much better than Doom. No mohawk Storm? She's the Storm I grew up with and is the only Storm I want in my collection. That blows... I'm sure we'll get then sooner or later but it just stink that this is such a bland line up. At least we get CM.

As NorthRaider & Lobsterman have already mentioned: It's a bit hard to believe that Beyonder was voted into the set over Storm. Unless every voter on the TRU poll was a total fan-boy, i can't really see how such an unrecognisable character made such a huge leap in numbers. Unless casual voters on the TRU page thought he was some kind of Michael Jackson tribute???

Edited by Nessex

As annoying as it is, I don't think it's that hard to believe that Beyonder got the votes legitimately. He almost made the DST poll final four. Plus I think when we found out about the second poll on TRU.com, there was this tendency to believe it would be all little kids just voting Spidey (instead of "real"/adult fans that voted on the DST one), but if that was the case then I would expect Captain Marvel to be knocked out of the set well before Storm. Oh well, I hope minijeff's right and she pops up elsewhere...

Also, technically, The Beyonder *is* a literal tribute to Michael Jackson (at least his look was, back when SWII was written). But even with all the posthumous selective memory about the guy, I'm still not too thrilled to get an MJ-inspired minimate.

Okay, I'm not getting all the negativity. I think the designs look great, and I'm still stoked about this one. Storm did get surprisingly swapped for Doom, but I would think DST will still get us a mohawk Storm at some point. We're getting a Jim Lee Storm in just a couple of waves anyway, so I've gotten my Ororo fix. :D

If there's another box set, I hope we get:

Ben Grimm (4.0%, 75 Votes)

Molecule Man (14.0%, 251 Votes)

Spider-Woman (9.0%, 162 Votes)

Storm (15.0%, 267 Votes)

And there could be an exclusive two pack of the energy forms of Beyonder and Captain Marvel. Or they could just make a whole TRU wave.

I'm glad to get Photon and Beyonder (I'm a sucker for new characters, even if they're lame ones) but as others have said... meh to Doom and the lame gimmick spidey thats going straight to the bottom of my "lame spideys" bin.

I do definately think the poll was rigged...

I'm GUESSING... that Toys R Us' poll chose Doom and Spidey, Art Asylums chose Photon, and that Marvel politics chose beyonder, since he's essentially the face of the Secret Wars, and this is about the only set he'll ever see release in. (Wheras all the other characters could pretty easily be worked into other sets.)

I'm really suprised everyone is so bitter about this. I'm willing to lay money we'll a second Secret Wars helping. It may not be a TRU exclusive but we will see it. I mean we're getting two Dark Avengers sets, two exclusive sets to shine off the Marvel Zombies, and an extra Wolverine Origins set is supposedly in the works. If we do get another set, Storm, and Molecule Man are shoe-ins. If they do another four pack instead of just a two, I don't see an energy Beyonder or Captain Marvel. I mean that's be repeating a bit. So Spider Woman and Ben Grim are more likely (If they get rid of Grimm's idiotic powerhouse chest, he'd be perfect. I mean it's supost to be the Thing in human form and it just doesn't work. He looks to big with it, like he still has super strength.)

Don't worry, we will get Storm more of them eventually, I'm sure of it.

If they get rid of Grimm's idiotic powerhouse chest, he'd be perfect. I mean it's supost to be the Thing in human form and it just doesn't work. He looks to big with it, like he still has super strength.)

Completely agree with this. It just doesn't look right.

I'm gonna risk becoming the most hated person on here and say that I think it's an alright looking set. Once they sort out the skin colour issues it will be fine IMO.

I voted for Storm, but honestly we all knew Spidey would get in there, and this is the only way we're gonna get Beyonder and that type of Doom (I actually really like the Doom) and I'm completely certain that we'll get the Storm anyway.

Hell all you'd have to do was show a TRU exec this thread and he'd sign up an exclusive 2 pack on the spot. That would piss me off! :biggrin:

I have a modest proposal:

It sounds like more than a few people are only interested in one character out of this set. So, I was wondering if anyone wanted to team up and split the cost of one set to get that one character.

I only want Captain Marvel. Is anyone interested in going in with me on the set for Beyonder, Doom or Spidey?

I only want beyonder and doom. anybody only want spidey?

Yeah, like most people already pointed out, this is pretty disappointing. I don't have a problem with the set itself - although I won't buy it -, but the way it came up. I mean, roster did look like at any point. I loved the way it was transparent for us fans and that there were rules: One person (or at least one IP address) one vote. Great idea. Then came the TRU poll where everybody was able to vote multiple times and everything turned out to be pretty stupid and senseless.

DST, if you do stuff like this again - which I bet people around here would be going to love -, please make clear how it works and don't come up with ad hoc changes like a second voting system making the original idea obsolet. That is what in my eyes makes this set pretty disappointing. And a second set with Storm and other characters won't recoup this whole thing.

Edited by Bob Harris

It does seem kinda fishy the difference between this and the final tally. Truth be told i like this line up it's pretty much what i would have wanted minus molecule man. That was the figure i wanted the most and am really bummed we didnt get him. We despretley need more bad guys, and when given the oppertunity to vote they voted for spidey varient great thats showing them. :rolleyes:

I really like this version of Doom, and i thought it'd make a sweet mate so i'm glad it won it would have been something i wanted.

Captain Marvel, another big want of mine probably 2nd to molecule man to me in the vote.

I actually like the beyonder mate. I wasn't looking forward to it cause the beyonder has a horrible gawdy costume, but it's been downplayed here when he got minmatized.

Spidey isn't bad, but man what a waste.

I never cared about mohawk storm, to me it's really low on the list i only need two storms. FA, and gold team, which they've done.

I'd love to see another boxset theres so much great character potential with secret wars.

There was a time when I felt alone in my total cynicism towards the poll that 'chose' those 4 characters. I am however saddened that many of you are becoming just as cynical.............. which isn't pleasing at all :(

What a sad bunch of Minimates. This is the year of the Minimate Roller-Coaster Ride with some incredible highs if you can get the stuff ....& this :angry: