UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

They make me feel a little better about losing DC Minimates.

Lobsterman

It kind of scares me that they haven't shown wave 4 pics yet or announced what will be in it. It reminds me too much of how DC Minimates wave 1-3 were shown so much and then the later waves seemed like after thougths.

Arkillo is definitely an awesome looking figure and I'm so glad we got a normal Flash (maybe a standing Sups isn't too far behind). Other than Minimates, this is still on the top of my favorite toy line list.

And yes, mini MotU would be amazing and I don't know why Mattel hasn't done them yet. Maybe they could do a Ghostbusters line for it also.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... I'm sorry. These aren't the salt-in-the-wound that is Blammoids. But they are no replacement for DC minimates. And they aren't selling that well locally. I think, like SHS, the deformed, limited artic, mini-figure craze is done for now in mass market.

And I think Mattel is done with major MotU pushes in the mass market after the MotU 2000 fiasco. (which, IIRC, had more to do with catering to Wal-Mart buyers than anything else.) It's the 30th anniversary, so I could be wrong.

No... I'm sorry. These aren't the salt-in-the-wound that is Blammoids. But they are no replacement for DC minimates.

Someone really needs to change the title of this damned thread... I'm tried of every other post being "I HATE THESE! Minimates would be better!" as if destroying them is the one step to getting minimates back.

They're a different creature altogether. Killing all the centipedes on Earth will not bring back triceratops despite both of their names having numbers in them.... they're a different scale, a different market.... they aren't even block figures! They're crappy urban vinyls at best, people who collected "Uniformz" should be angry at these not minimate fans.

The only thing that needs to be destroyed for DC minimates to come back is DC's insanely high licensing fees... $7 for a movie GL Mez-Itz keychain?!?! That's the reason we don't have DC minimates, not DCD keeping the license away from DST, not Blammoids, not Mez-Itz, not Trios, not Action League, the fact DC charges so much a tiny chunk of plastic has to cost $7 to make any money.

Easy, Doc, easy.

I do not like these personally, but neither do I dislike them. And my two boys, the target audience, have shown no interest in them. Not even the younger who at this time last ear was a huge SHS freak. He lost interest in SHS too. And I don't see them moving off the pegs. I think Mattel got into the big feet/happy face game too late to capitalize.

I do, however, appologize if my lamenting has offended you.

• 4 weeks later...

These are being clearanced at Targets... I have no idea if that’s good or bad.

Sometimes Target clearances stuff they have intentions to restock because it’s an older version (JLU 6-packs seem to always hit clearance only to be replaced by the newer ones and then have the older ones returned by a-holes so they get the newer ones cheaper and the movie GI Joes got clearanced to make room for regular GI Joes, and some stores even clearanced the B:tB&tB action league to make room for the DCU:AL which lead to some people getting wave 1 at a discount) and sometimes Target actually clearances stuff they just want to get rid off (JLU as of now)

So whether this means Target no longer carries the line or if Target is clearing out some of those lingering Flashes and Lows to make room for Wave 4 I have no clue, it is a good chance to get some figures on the cheap and at least TRU and Wal-Mart still carry the line (I’m found wave 3 at both)

(*sigh* and now that the thread has a new post, we’lll see a ‘nope, these don’t make me feel better about losing DC minimates’ comment in 5... 4... 3... 2...)

I believe Polaris has been released, but there's not much after that wave.

You're right! i did a bit of hunting on eBay and have found her. It's a shame the line is just about over though. I quite liked these little guys.

EDIT: Although - if the line IS ending here, it makes me feel a little bit less crazy for spending so much on a Warpath SHS figure :tongue:

Edited by Nessex

Wave 4 is confirmed!

Sinestro (YL) & Arkillo (the set I’ve wanted to see since Wave 1!)

Wave 1 Batman VS B:tB&tB Bronze Tiger

Martian Manhunter (who looks awesome) & B:tB&tB Deadman

New sculpt Flash VS Reverse Flash (Professor Zoom? Either way he’s Wave 1 Flash repainted)

Now where are they?! It’s been two months and I need Arkillo and apparent MM who’s more awesome then I could have imagined NOW!

Edit: I wonder if there’s a chance suit Grundy will sneak into the DCUC line, I know he wore a suit and got smart in a storyline recently... but seriously if they can sneak him in and he’s Kilowog sized I’ll die of happiness.

Edited by dr baghead

• 1 month later...

I ordered Arkillo from a Hong Kong reseller and it arrived today.

I hope wave 4, 5 and beyond make it to stores, but I *needed* Arkillo and didn’t want to risk him getting the same fate as Ted Kord where he shows up on ebay and then never in stores.

Now when do the “Mini MotU” go on sale? Maybe Mattel can not f**k that line by learned from the mistakes they made with Action League.

Awesome find dr. b. As someone who bought Ted Kord, I totally understand. Do you have a link to the seller?

I’ll go one better and link to the seller’s auction for another Arkillo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-ACTION-LEAGUE-GREEN-LANTERN-ARKILLO-PT-/280741839129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415d848119#ht_1253wt_884

He also has the new posed Flash, Martian Manhunter (who I considered buying, but don’t like enough to spend $8 on), and Yellow Lantern Sinestro.

• 1 month later...

Waiting on my Martian Manhunter/Deadman and Arkillo/Sinestro packs from a friend who found them in New York state. Passed on the other two sets; maybe I'll pick them up if I ever see them.

It's sad that this line is probably dead in the water. I doubt we'll ever see the Larfleeze they showed at NYCC. My hope is that they're just rebooting the line with all of the new character looks, but the realist in me says they're putting it to bed.

Edited by Lobsterman

• 3 months later...

Wave 5 is starting to show up at KMarts.... I got Batman (whom I plan to repaint into All-Star Batman with his terrific stubble and grin sculpt) and Cyborg and left Wonder Woman/Aquaman and Flash/Cold behind.

I never saw Wave 4 (I bought an Arkillo set from TRU.com and might have to pick up the now back in stock Martian Manhunter) so I hope Wave 6 with mf’ing Larfleeze makes it to retail.

I never saw wave 4 either now that you mention it (got them all from China). I found the new wave at Kmart today and they had all but Cyborg (which is what I truly wanted). I've got all the figures in this line, but Mattel has really ruined an awesome chance at making a great and profitable line (like usual). I'd be surprised if wave 6 makes it to retail.

I'd be surprised if wave 6 makes it to retail.

They've taking an interesting tack with wave 6, doing one character with a vehicle/accessory instead of pairs of characters – and only one is a new character sculpt. I'm not sure if Mattel is trying a new, more play-focused tack with these or getting ready to cut bait. Given that they only showed wave 6 (which we saw at NYCC last year) and a TRU 5 pack with a new Shazam and the rest repacks at Toy Fair – ostensibly intended to generate retailer interest in new stuff – I suspect this line is wrapping up, as well.

Edited by Lobsterman

There’s a seller with Larfleeze on eBay for $20 (3 left as of now) with free shipping...

I know I’m going to regret it when wave 6 shows up at retail and I could get him with an accessory I don’t want for $8 (which it might not, Mattel says wave 6 is ‘pending retailer interest), but I bought one.

So Mattel’s free to kill the line now, although if they want to stop making dumb moves and give me Warth, Mongul, Darkseid, and some non-repainted Batman Batman characters I’d gladly give them money. But since they refuse to do anything but lazily repaint Batman ever 6 months and make stupid characters (who wanted Element Girl and Emo Superman?!?! Who?!) I’ll just give my money to the eBay resellers they claim hurt them so much to make sure I get the product.

(actually, I wonder if B:tB&tB Grundy ever made it to the tooling stage like Alloy and Ted Kord, I wouldn’t mind owning him too)

• 2 weeks later...

got my Larfleeze today, aside from his odd coloring (why are his hands flesh colored and his head orange? Who at DC okayed that and Purple Arkillo?) He’s AMAZING, he’s sculpted in a way he actually cradles his lantern and gives him a lot of personality.

I’m sad Mattel’s incompetence has killed the line (was it just the stores around here or was the tB&tB version of the line actually selling? I can still find wave 1 of the DCU version peg warming, but tB&tB seems to have all been snatched up, did the change from ‘TV branded’ to ‘generic’ really kill the line?) It really had potential.

I hope the Shazam 5-pack at least makes it out.