UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sorry AA/DST, but I'm going to have to boycott TRU for now

Dio

I have been burned THREE times already, so three strikes and you're out. I called all of my local TRUs, and they SAID they got a "new" case of Minimates. Guess what they were? Union Jack wave. Apparently they've been sitting in the back at all three TRUs (Everett, Lynnwood, and Seattle Washington). So now they're pegwarming. Now, I've been told that they don't get any new Minimates until they sell most of the ones they have. Well, they're all full of Wolverine Origins, Union Jack/Heroes/Villains, Terminator 2 and Battlestar Galactica packs. And I seriously doubt that most of these will sell in time before Black Bolt comes out.

So the point is, my TRUs won't be getting the Bullseye/Moonstone Minimates wave in any time soon, and I expect that Ghostbusters won't show up either.

Customer service from TRU has been horrible, not only have they lied to me on several occasions, but they lack the means to do anything that I could do on my home computer. Apparently they can't go back and tell me what's in the case despite that it would be stocked on the floor the next morning. So I have to drive 50 miles to check for myself because the employees are lazy. And what do I find? Nothing new except for BSG. How is it that that they can all be stocked with BSG but not GB or Marvel Minimates?

Another thing that makes TRU horrible is just calling the 800 number (1-800-TOYSRUS). The manager told me to call it because "they have no control over what they receive". I gave the item number to the person on the phone and they told me:

"wave 3 doesn't exist because it's not on our site".

What shenanigans are you trying to pull? I told the person repeatedly that they do in fact exist and I even gave them the item number 113214, and they backed up their statement by saying that since I could not find it on the site, and they couldn't find it on the site, and that I couldn't find it in THREE stores meant that they do not exist at all! The whole point was to ask if they could ship the new wave to TRU stores, but that can't even be done as was suggested by the manager.

I know you read the forums, have you not seen how many people need this new wave? Have you not seen all of the auctions on eBay where the Bullseye/Moonstone pack goes for 5x its retail value? What were you thinking making it 1 per case? Aren't you being hypocritical when you said you wouldn't put variants in any other store than specialty shops(comic book stores)?

And what about the whole point of army builders, don't you want us to buy MORE of them? It doesn't make sense having just two Captain America/AIM Agents in one case. And why give us the really, really old Web Armor Spider-Man? It's available here! And Mac Gargan Venom? Who's going to even buy it when the Thunderbolts box set is coming out? I mean, it was cool when you have 3/4 of the Heroes/Villains box sets in TRU waves, but why just one box set character? The Punisher pack also made sense honestly, people only really wanted Punisher and Jigsaw, and you had two previous movie packs with more on the way. Wave 1 also had wave 24, so why did you break the pattern by including only four characters in current waves? Here's how I think you should have done this wave:

4x Classic Iron Man/AIM Agent

4x Captain America/Red Skull

3x Bullseye/Moonstone

1x Mark III Iron Man/Iron Monger

The reasoning for this is that you've had at least 2x Movie Hero/Villain packs, so you should keep up the pattern by following up with the movie Iron Man since that wave was technically released after the Hulk movie wave. We get three exclusive packs following Wonder Man/Union Jack, and then the rest are reused packs like wave 1.

The ultimatum:

All Toys R Us stores must get new waves around the same time, and they all must be available online for preorder and for sale when released. If they sell out, then they will mark it as sold out until they get more in stock. Even though it doesn't show up in the search anymore, here is Gauntlet Tony Stark/Stealth Iron Man:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?p...ELAID=291069437

Unless this demand has not been met, I will not support Toys R Us. This new wave and recent developments is just a big slap in the face to your loyal customers who have supported you for many years. All you have accomplished is scalping on eBay.

Edited by Dio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe TRU has a large role to play with this situation

By doing this they are creating more traffic in their stores - collectors coming more frequently to search for the pack and potentially picking up something else while they are there.

You'll have to fix your case assortment ratio as there are only 12 packs per case

I think this is a tad misdirected. Once Diamond ships them to TRU then Diamond have absolutely no control over distrubtion so I don't see how this will have any benefit, not to mention at the end of the day the exclusives exist purely because TRU ordered and paid them, TRU are the people you need to keep bugging.

Or perhaps being a non-North American I'm too used to insane price gouging on ebay as "the norm"...

I believe TRU has a large role to play with this situation

By doing this they are creating more traffic in their stores - collectors coming more frequently to search for the pack and potentially picking up something else while they are there.

You'll have to fix your case assortment ratio as there are only 12 packs per case

Oh whoops, fixed.

And Cyc, it's been said that international stores are interested in picking up these waves so hopefully you'll find yours.

An ultimatum? Someone thinks highly of himself. All this venting would be better directed at TRU than DST.

• DST has no control over how stockboys at your TRUs fill the shelves.
  • DST has no control over misinformed members of TRU's customer service department.
  • DST has no control over untrained members of TRU's customer service department.
  • DST likely* has no control over the case packouts.
  • DST has no control over TRUs distribution channels**.
  • DST has no control over what TRU offers to sell on their website.
*I don't know about the details of the DST/TRU contract, but in most situations where a Big Box retailer gets a store exclusive, the store controls the case ratios. The stores desire shortpacks, and they usually have more clout.

**I have one TRU in my area that routinely gets all new merchandise a week later than the other two stores. There's no way DST has the power to change that.

I know it feels good to rant, but you're not going to accomplish anything if it's misdirected. The best you can hope to get from this rant is that DST knows there is one person that won't buy from TRU because of TRUs practices. They might take that into consideration when negotiating new releases. But TRU is writing the checks and their wants will come first.

I'm making this public because well, have you ever contacted TRU before? I'll just get a thank you for your concern and we apologize message and then they'll be done with it. They won't care or do anything about it. It's also probable that I'll get the same kind of response as the one from the guy on the phone, because either way you look at it a guy on the phone is just the same as a guy typing on the keyboard. But AA/DST actually listens to us, and that's what counts.

If AA/DST is in charge what the case assortments are, then they'll realize the harm they've caused and make a better wave.

Whether or not I agree with what you're saying, that's gotta be one of the biggest rants we've had around here for awhile.

And from what I've been told by both stores and on-line customer services is that the on-line and brick and mortar stores are run by two different entities and just share the name TRU. They don't influence each other and what is stocked will vary between the two. Of course, both times I've been told this someone from customer service is blaming the other person from customer service who told me something different.

Yeah, much like Books A Million... online TRU and brick and mortar TRU are two different "companies", but both suck big time.

Very sorry to hear that you're upset about your dealings with this. I've had this kinda stuff happen to me before and it sure is no fun. I hope you can come across the stuff you're looking for online or with a board members help.

What's that you mentioned of Black Bolt? Is that part of the next exclusive or something that I missed in a thread other than the Philly con first posting?

"they have no control over what they receive"

They do have no control over what they carry at store level. Do you think they put in an order form each week for what they want like a comic shop? You also need to understand that hours suck at retail and that it is hard to fit in the amount of work their head office demands, right? You also understand that the toy ailes are filled with a lot more toys then just minimates right? You are sounding as if the only action figures in the stores are minimates.

Instead of saying thanks to TRU America for having more minimates on the market. Which is how we have more BSG, and Marvel exclusives where you don't need to have a credit card (or your parents card in some cases) or pay crazy shipping charges for packages that are damaged half the time (looking at you afx) you complain that your store does not get them in when you would like them to be in. Do you think Target would have done a better job?

They need to get them in at all stores around the same time? Are you saying that all TRU mates need a release date? Which would mean that the store that gets four trucks a week needs to wait for the tiny store that gets one truck every two weeks to get them in stock before they can sell them?

I highly doubt that TRU stores outside the states will carry minimates. Are they going to order direct from DST? DST does not even sell from their own site to outside the states. They will have to find a third party to order through, perhaps Everest Wholesale. Must suck to be a collector of minimates living in the country where all the exclusives are released.

Good job with your rant there, just leaves more mates for the rest of us. Good luck boycotting the only retail chain that decided they would care about the minimate market. (For the time being anyway) Before you argue that FYE, Target and Walmart also carried mates, they no longer do and TRU was the only one to revisit the line.

All this over set distribution. Feh, at least you HAVE a TRU chain to boycott. All we have over here's the brand, and they're not likely to be bringing Minimates in anytime soon [though i would LOVE to be wrong about that].

I'm with Cyc -- I, too, am"too used to insane price gouging on ebay as 'the norm'... "

Yes, international distribution would need Play Along Toys/C3 level mass production (which is of course the last/only time UK and Aus fans saw Minimates at proper retail chains such as Toys R Us) and based on the "spotty" distribution and limited volume this doesn't appear that much higher than standard DST specialty product.

And Mac Gargan Venom? Who's going to even buy it when the Thunderbolts box set is coming out?

Raises hand. Of course, I only want Venom and not the rest of the Thunderbolts. I'm a huge Venom fan, so I'll take him in any form I can get him, but I really don't care for the rest of the Thunderbolts. So, yay for me! It's too bad that you don't want him though.

And I've had no luck with these locally either. However, my brother in Illinois found the entire wave. He'll be sending my Venom/Web Armor Spidey and Bullseye/Moonstone soon enough! I sent him the Transformers Scalpel figure he couldn't find in Illinois, so it all works out.

Yes, international distribution would need Play Along Toys/C3 level mass production (which is of course the last/only time UK and Aus fans saw Minimates at proper retail chains such as Toys R Us) and based on the "spotty" distribution and limited volume this doesn't appear that much higher than standard DST specialty product.

C3 WAS the only time we saw Minimates in stores here in any shape or form, never mind any of the former or current TRU releases. Got me started when they cleared them out [didn't seem to sell too well] and I found a badly incomplete Mini-Batmobile missing the Robin -- which fed my need to hunt.

Good nostalgia aside, it sucks not having ANY mainstream-store Minimates on this end. I'd give up a lot to have Dio's problems. My forced boycott has been going on too long.

NV, do give a shout if you manage to have any more Bullseye/Moonstone luck. :D

Edited by lastmaximal

C3 WAS the only time we saw Minimates in stores here in any shape or form, never mind any of the former or current TRU releases. Got me started when they cleared them out [didn't seem to sell too well] and I found a badly incomplete Mini-Batmobile missing the Robin -- which fed my need to hunt.

Good nostalgia aside, it sucks not having ANY mainstream-store Minimates on this end. I'd give up a lot to have Dio's problems. My forced boycott has been going on too long.

*sigh* Tell me about it :( Pretty dire having to rely chiefly on trades, the Internet and one comic shop for a Minimate fix here. (Wait a minute, this is true of a lot of us, if not slightly worse :pinch:)

It was such a crying shame I only got into collecting 'mates last year, otherwise I would've bought the hell out of those old C3 sets. (Still looking for my own frakkin' non-pixie-boot Robin, among other things) Interestingly enough I did manage to find some really old MIB ones at a department store in the province just last Christmas, so maybe there's a chance some C3 sets might still be out there depending on how long it's been since the store cleared out its inventory.

Edited by NorthRaider

Whoever did the ratio breakdown and decided to have 1 bullseye/moonstone per case(if true) was nuts. I'm sure there are many fators involved, especially like Ivan pointed out that TRU is the customer/retailer and we've heard over and over that there is no competition between Mass Market sales and LCS/Diamond Dist. sales. DST has stated that Mass Market Store companies make the final decisions on the products they will sell based on DST's offerings/suggestions.

The Bullseye/Moonstone short packing stinks, but it's understandable when the rest of the assortment has more popular headline characters and sell better even if we don't like it. Spider-Man/Venom, Wolverine/Sabretooth, War Machine/ Iron Man, Bucky/Cap America.

Believe me I hate minimates at TRU because it's the worst place for me and I'm not going to buy anything else unless it's christmas, but you either live with it or with out it. Hey it's not a perfect world. imho, it helps keep minimates alive. Finally we are to get those BSG Mini-Flyers I've been waiting for and were thought dead.

Interesting ultimatum - however, the rules of how things work in the real world are a bit different.

AA & DST are not responsible or accountable for the methods or methodology that TRU uses to determine stock/order levels, product mix or distribute stock to stores, nor are they in a position to second guess TRU's distribution or sales system (online or otherwise), so long as it's legal.

Once TRU takes delivery of the product, DST has no control as to when, how or where it hits the market.

"they have no control over what they receive"

They do have no control over what they carry at store level. Do you think they put in an order form each week for what they want like a comic shop? You also need to understand that hours suck at retail and that it is hard to fit in the amount of work their head office demands, right? You also understand that the toy ailes are filled with a lot more toys then just minimates right? You are sounding as if the only action figures in the stores are minimates.

Instead of saying thanks to TRU America for having more minimates on the market. Which is how we have more BSG, and Marvel exclusives where you don't need to have a credit card (or your parents card in some cases) or pay crazy shipping charges for packages that are damaged half the time (looking at you afx) you complain that your store does not get them in when you would like them to be in. Do you think Target would have done a better job?

They need to get them in at all stores around the same time? Are you saying that all TRU mates need a release date? Which would mean that the store that gets four trucks a week needs to wait for the tiny store that gets one truck every two weeks to get them in stock before they can sell them?

I highly doubt that TRU stores outside the states will carry minimates. Are they going to order direct from DST? DST does not even sell from their own site to outside the states. They will have to find a third party to order through, perhaps Everest Wholesale. Must suck to be a collector of minimates living in the country where all the exclusives are released.

Good job with your rant there, just leaves more mates for the rest of us. Good luck boycotting the only retail chain that decided they would care about the minimate market. (For the time being anyway) Before you argue that FYE, Target and Walmart also carried mates, they no longer do and TRU was the only one to revisit the line.

It's pretty ridiculous that's it's been over two weeks and the new Marvel wave still isn't in the system =/ I AM grateful that TRU picked up Minimates, but the incompetence I've come across is starting wear off the novelty. TRU is THE #1 toy store, and to not have the newest product damages its reputation. If they can't get update their systems or even carry the newest products, that makes them unreliable.

And my experience, Target is the best damn department store out there. It doesn't take two weeks to ship from DST to anywhere in the US. I can ship to BRAZIL (and you have no idea how long their addresses are) on First Class postage in under two weeks.

And yes, it does suck to be outside of the US and not be able to get the exclusives, but as was said in the latest Q&A, other international companies have TRU's permission to sell them. And of course, if this wave was readily available, the US members would be able to help out the international members. Also note that Wal-Mart will be carrying Minimates soon.

The point is, my local TRUs are going to take much longer than any other TRU to get Bullseye/Moonstone due to the employees mistakes, and God knows how long it will take to sell those pegwarmers. Even at one store their little device said that the floor was full of Marvel Minimates, when it actually wasn't. If you've read the latest TRU thread, other stores have just restocked wave 2 so those stores won't be carrying the new wave anytime soon.

Its all frustrating, my only real issue I wish TRU could resolve is being able to make sure they get something at their store. I realize they can't go on an order everything that comes on each truck but they should have something set up to order in something to their store and then be able to tell you when it will be coming. Even just having that last part would be cool. I am glad overall that TRU picked up minimates because it saves me on shipping costs and gets my favorite collectible available to me much easier. I am a very impatient person but I just have to be happy that TRU is helping minimates keep going strong!

Dio,

On Sunday I discovered Southcenter TRU had received Wave 3. Just a couple of packs left, no Moonstone. I left very sad, but there's hope they'll get more in since their Marvel stock is pretty low and they have obviously used up the old waves that might be sitting in the stock room.

Many retail stores are "classified" by size, population base and other demographics that determine what items they get and how much. Looking at this a bit more objectively, they (TRU) has got to make broad and often general decisions that allow them to place merchandise in the areas/stores it is likely to sell and, likewise keep items out of stores where they are likely to stagnate and end up clogging pegs.

Though there are those of us that may not like the way TRU is handling minimates, let's put the tar, feathers and pitchforks away and consider the following:

1. The Minimates line is a new experiment for TRU and, as such, they are probably looking at trends from the initial waves to see what works and where. It's stupid to expect that there is no learning curve for their merchandising people.

2. LOTR and Speed Racer mates bit TRU in the ass once - they may be exercising a little caution.

3. TRU people do not exclusively live in the super-hero and comic book world (that many of us dwell in). It is presumptuous to have any expectation that they could foresee the popularity of two characters that, from a layman's standpoint, are pretty obscure, and therefore made case mix decisions accordingly. Let's also not forget that their bread and butter is Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Batman. Important Rule: - go with what works. This goes back to the learning curve point -

4. Piss and moan all you like, how TRU gets this stuff to the stores and sells to consumers (brick and mortar or online), is entirely at their discretion and subject to their distribution, ordering and merchandising systems. They are the largest toy retailer in the US for a reason afterall - why re-invent the wheel if something seems to work.

5. TRU's target market extends far beyond minimate collectors. It's something we call "Global View". Their systems and decisions have to work for diapers, clothes, bicycles, video games, Barbies, crappy Hannah Montana stuff, Greeting cards, Baby formula.... I hope you see where this is going. (clue: it's not all about minimates)

6. TRU is not Fedex or UPS - tracking every box on every truck with tracking, delivery confirmation and "quantum view" isn't what they do - It might be nice, but is it really necessary given their business model. Target reps cannot tell you what they are getting or when, any more than TRU or Walmart... if it's on the truck when they unload, then they're getting it.

7. How about a little frickin' gratitude - At least they've made a commitment to some exclusive merchandise and licenses that have been otherwise shelved. They seem to be in it for the long haul - maybe we should give them more than a couple months and a few waves of product to get this down (again with the learning curve).

8. Beyond getting minimates to the TRU distribution center, NONE of this is the responsibility of DST or AA and is entirely out of their control.

About the only item that TRU should control and monitor is their sales associates' attitudes regarding telephone inquiries and making a diligent effort to answer a customer's question, not just hurry through a token answer to get off the phone. That being said, it is equally unreasonable to expext the TRU rep to crawl through an unloaded truck or start breaking down pallets to find a mystery carton - checking the shelf for stock is about the best they can do under the circumstances

Take all this piss and moaning to heart DST/AA.

Build brick & mortar stores solely for minimates. :D

Call it Only F***ing Minimates

Customer: Do you sell Lego as well?

OFM Employee: Uh, let me just in the... NO!

Customer: What about Kubricks?

OFM Employee: Get the hell out, now.

No, but seriously I'd like a minimates only shop or maybe a Mr. Softee truck converted to dish out sweet minimates on hot summer days.

I'll take 4 Bullseye/Moonstone packs with sprinkles on top.

:buttrock:

Take all this piss and moaning to heart DST/AA.

Build brick & mortar stores solely for minimates. :D

Call it Only F***ing Minimates

Customer: Do you sell Lego as well?

OFM Employee: Uh, let me just in the... NO!

Customer: What about Kubricks?

OFM Employee: Get the hell out, now.

No, but seriously I'd like a minimates only shop or maybe a Mr. Softee truck converted to dish out sweet minimates on hot summer days.

I'll take 4 Bullseye/Moonstone packs with sprinkles on top.

:buttrock:

I like the sound of that.

"I'll take, uh, two.. no, three Kangs and a Dragon Man."

I'm more apt to blame TRU for the mess rather than DST/AA. The fact I'm in Canada and will likely never see the minimates in the TRUs here chaps my ass. I know on the ASK DST they mentioned that TRU Canada has different buyers and they have to choose to bring them in. I won't hold my breath on it though, for the largest Toy chain in North America, they really only stock the same old stuff. Now I understand why, there is a smaller market for MM than Barbie, so they are catering to their clientele. It's the first rule of retail.

But what I don't understand is at least taking a minor risk and introducing new lines. Here in Canada I never saw anything new. We got the first 2 hasbro Marvel Legend waves. That's it. I've been collecting figures for 10 years now and I think I've maybe picked up Marvel products twice or 3 times at TRU. It's that pathetic.

Hell, the one in the mall we most frequent, which is once a month, has had an empty shelf in the marvel section for the past month! A freaking month. I run a retail shop, I would be shot if I let my store get like that for a day let alone a month.

Dio,

On Sunday I discovered Southcenter TRU had received Wave 3. Just a couple of packs left, no Moonstone. I left very sad, but there's hope they'll get more in since their Marvel stock is pretty low and they have obviously used up the old waves that might be sitting in the stock room.

Welp, you can have em all XD

Many retail stores are "classified" by size, population base and other demographics that determine what items they get and how much. Looking at this a bit more objectively, they (TRU) has got to make broad and often general decisions that allow them to place merchandise in the areas/stores it is likely to sell and, likewise keep items out of stores where they are likely to stagnate and end up clogging pegs.

6. TRU is not Fedex or UPS - tracking every box on every truck with tracking, delivery confirmation and "quantum view" isn't what they do - It might be nice, but is it really necessary given their business model. Target reps cannot tell you what they are getting or when, any more than TRU or Walmart... if it's on the truck when they unload, then they're getting it.

7. How about a little frickin' gratitude - At least they've made a commitment to some exclusive merchandise and licenses that have been otherwise shelved. They seem to be in it for the long haul - maybe we should give them more than a couple months and a few waves of product to get this down (again with the learning curve).

8. Beyond getting minimates to the TRU distribution center, NONE of this is the responsibility of DST or AA and is entirely out of their control.

About the only item that TRU should control and monitor is their sales associates' attitudes regarding telephone inquiries and making a diligent effort to answer a customer's question, not just hurry through a token answer to get off the phone. That being said, it is equally unreasonable to expext the TRU rep to crawl through an unloaded truck or start breaking down pallets to find a mystery carton - checking the shelf for stock is about the best they can do under the circumstances

6. Wow, you obviously haven't read what I've said =/ Actually, every box DOES have tracking. Why do you think they scan everything into inventory? It isn't practical to go back into the stockroom and look for something, they just make a search query. Hell, give them an item number and they will type it into their scanner, go into the stockroom, and the computer will even tell you who took the case out onto the floor!

9. That's not how things work =/ They scan every single box and enter into the system as soon as it's received. The problem is that wave 3 is not in every single store's system, which seems to be locally oriented so not every item that is available is in every store's system, but is only based on what they have and this wave is not uploaded on their website. That said, any employee will not be able to tell you if they're going to get wave 3 or not because if it was there it would show up in the search.

You want to talk about what works? Why would they bother releasing a Dark Avengers pack if they didn't think it would sell when they're about to have a DA boxset? As was said by an earlier post, and is a very good point: it's bait to bring in collectors, but when they discover it's not there, TRU is hoping that they will cut their losses and buy something else. Promising to have one item in stock but having very limited amounts of it to reel in lots of customers, but then having them buy other things is called bait and switch.

Edited by Dio

I am grateful for TRU's carrying minimates. Is it likely we would have ever seen the TRU exlucisves (Marvel, T2, Ghostbusters, and BSG) without TRU? Don't know. Don't want to think about it. I think everyone who has gotten some of the TRU packs is grateful that TRU is keeping BSG going, greatly increasing GB (your 4-pack now has 10 more figures to go with it), and enhancing Marvel and T2, even if just a little bit.

I worked retail long ago, so am no longer an expert, but worked recently enough to see things arrive on a truck that were not in the system, things that were on a truck manifest that were not on a truck, and things on the manifest, in the system, and were completely crushed in transit. Do these things still happen? Surely not.

Some employees in retail are there for life. They take great pride in customer service, will go above and beyond for the customer they're helping, and may even recognize a regular. These people are wonderful to encounter. Unfortunately, some are there to get a paycheck until the next job comes around; they may help, they may not. I've never seen one type or the other with any true insight as to how their employer chooses what comes in to the store. "Can we sell it? We can? Good, let's put it in our store and sell it!"

Blame TRU or not, boycott or not. I don't see this affecting TRU's business plan. AA/DST? you got your product sold to the largest brick and mortar toy retailer in the nation. Well done, and I hope you have a long and profitable relationship with TRU.

Me, I'm looking forward to the 1-per-10 cases TRU exclusive Kang & Captain Marvel (Genis) 2-pack. I called the local store with the item number, and they said they'd hold one for me. :biggrin: