UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe Classics

Gentleman Ghost and Hawkgirl are driving me crazy, as well. The sad thing is, the first time I saw Wave 8 in a store, all they had were those two and a couple Dr Fates. I didn't have any money at the time but I figured they'd be relatively easy to come accross since there were so many of them (4 of each). I haven't seen those two in a store since.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edit post, Hawkgirl's been claimed)

I ended up finding a Power Girl when doing some Christmas shopping this weekend, actually I found 3 and was able to pick the one with the best paint (she still has a nasty gash on her leg though... do they all have a weird mold line running down their outter thigh or is that just mine?)... now I just have to hope they eventually make Martian Manhunter and that Mattel will HOPEFULLY honor all on-line orders for Raven and then I'll actually get the 3 figures I wanted from this line.

Edited by dr baghead

DB, sent a pm to a buddy of mine, who might be looking for her still. If not, contact JMW326 about the Hawkgirl. I just received mine today and think it is one of the strongest female characters they've made so far.

Man-Bat is a Bat-foe, and is 1-per-case. Thus, collectors of DC generally and of Batman only want him, and he probably won't be re-released like Joker no doubt will be (and who also is 2 per case). Also, supposedly this was going to be released in the DCSH line, but never materialized, so there was built-up anticipation for it going back a few years. Really stupid to make this a Wal-Mart exclusive wave. . .oh, so stupid.

Edited by karamazov80

I found my first Wave 10er today!! Was in WalMart getting something for an Art II project, and then, despite my father's pleas to leave, i went down to the toy aisles. There sat 2 Power girls and a Batman, surrounded by old, unmoving product. I don't even want to know how they got the rest of Wave 10 on the shelf, but the rest was gone. Well, i checked my wallet. 2 fucking dollars short, and my dad had 0 dollars on him!!!!! :( I had to pass on one of 3 Wave 10 figures i actually want. We all know how hard Wave 10 is to actually track down, but putting one back. Dammit, that was so hard to do. She looked great and unwarped and everything!!

Of course, this led me to going to TRU (WalMart was out of balls. But, as always, full of tools. :P) where i found an Angel/Warpath set. So it was a win/lose. I had enough for a ball and one of the most elusvie packs yet, but was short $2 friggin dollars for one of my most desired DCUC Classics. I have a feeling she'll be my next Riddler now that i passed on her. Never gonna find her at a cheap price, no matter how much i want to buy her.

This is a little off topic, but it's something that's been on my mind lately.

I've heard that Mattel is making it their goal to top Super Powers. That's why they're realeasing rediculous spinning robots owned by Kryptonians who were pretty much made up for the toyline.

I think they've done an awesome job and these toys blow away SP hands down... With one exception:

No vehicles.

Any thoughts? Any one stumbled accross any vehicles that are the right size? Is it just license restraints?

The only vehicles I can see selling are Batman related. Batmobile, Batcycle, maybe Batcopter. What else are they gonna do? The Superman's Superjet? Kalibak's Boulder Bomber?

Also, these figures are nice, but better than Super Powers? :no:

So what if the new Hawkman's wings don't flap? And that Supes doesn't do a double gut punch? They look a hundread times better, have way more joints and are much larger so they're not as easily lost.

That last one sounds lame, but it's saved my butt several times when my boys have lost one of their fav. toys.

Also, the BAF concept is phenomenal (I know DCUC disdn't come up with it, but SP didn't have it).

All in all, I think those points trade off for the fact that each figure doesn't have some goofy ability.

I don't know, looking back the vehicles I had didn't make much sense (like superman's plane), but they were still awesome. For kids it doesn't matter, does it? I even had some rediculous space ship, that as far as I can tell had nothing to do with super heroes... But my parents bought it for me. See my point?

And if the new Kalibak fit in that old vehicle you had better believe my boys would be throwing rocks at everything! :P

If kids were the target audience for this line, I would agree--Lex Luthor's Luthorjet, Superman's bipedal, walking contraption, etc. would all be fine. Though I see that you are buying these for your kids, and though I'm sure lots of other parents who love superhero stuff are doing the same, you have to admit that Mattel isn't targeting kids with these toys. They do that with the Brave and the Bold line. So, that's where my argument comes from. Most adults won't have much of an interest in vehicles beyond ones actually used in the comics. Sure, some would buy the "Boulder Bomber" for the nostalgic kick, but they would be so big and would run so counter to the comics that I don't see them selling very well.

As for saying these are better than Super Powers. . .blasphemy.

Boy, that Green Lantern sure isn't very useful.

I vote no on DCUC vehicles.

Which line is better? Ignoring the nostalgia of one of the coolest toy lines of my youth, I don't recall searching in vain at every store in town for any Super Powers figure as a kid. If I wanted a certain character and mom agreed to buy it, I could easily go get it. For that reason alone, Super Powers wins.

I'm about done with DCUC and their pitiful distribution...

I LOVE those commercials!!!

My brother and I were joking a couple months ago: EVERY commercial has Superman come in and save the day. Apparently ALL other heroes (Not just GL) are useless. Even the ones that SEEM like they don't need Superman (Like the one with Batman & Hawkman) he still comes in at the end.

Anyways, back on topic:

I see what you're saying here. It's not exactly a kid friendly line, but I would argue that they can make vehicles that aren't rediculous that collectors would buy. With the characters already available they could make:

Batman's Batmobile (obviously)

Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet (Which could actually be pretty sweet)

Blue Beetle's Bug

Black Manta's Sub

Lobo's Bike

Also, the beauty of this line being SO diverse means they could make sets like:

Lady BlackHawk with Plane

Rip Hunter with Time Sphere

Robot Brainiac with Giant-Robot-Brainiac-Head-Ship-Thing

Sgt Rock with Haunted Tank or some other WWII hero

Vigilante with motor bike (or any number of other characters who use a bike. Vig is just one of my favs.)

Shinning Knight with his flying pony.

If the toys make sense I'm sure collectors would buy them. And they don't have to sell vehicles seperatly either.

It reminds me of 80's GIJOE. There was a set called Battle Force 2000. Each figure came with a piece of their big vehicle. Essentially it was a BAV toyline. Sure, the vehicle looked like crap all assembled, but it was an alright idea.

I dunno, BAF is a great idea, but the fact that we're getting Trigon in wave 13 makes me feel like they've run out of large characters who don't suck.

What about a BAP (build a playset)?

Y'know, you could have a Legion of Doom base or JL WatchTower and have each character come with a part of a room? That would open the door to bring in characters like Calculator with a wall of tech and computers. (Originally this idea was Oracle, but as I was typing I decided she would be a pretty boring toy. Calculator in his CLASSIC costume would be WAY better :P )

I vote no on DCUC vehicles.

Which line is better? Ignoring the nostalgia of one of the coolest toy lines of my youth, I don't recall searching in vain at every store in town for any Super Powers figure as a kid. If I wanted a certain character and mom agreed to buy it, I could easily go get it. For that reason alone, Super Powers wins.

I'm about done with DCUC and their pitiful distribution...

Handsome, while I don't remember having a hard time finding certain figures, it's clear neither of us were adults at the time and... Well this was 20 years ago. The facts however? Say differently:

"Highly prized today, Kenner's distribution practices of including up to 18 of one character in a case of 24 led to a glut of the core characters throughout the life of the line, and a rapid demise. Due to this practice, certain figures such as Cyborg, Golden Pharaoh, and Plastic Man remain rare to this day while the Flash and Superman are easily found. "

Now I feel kind of lucky to have had Golden Pharoah & Plastic man. :D

Just started buying these the other day. I always liked them, but for some reason never bought them. Once I saw that a Darkseid BAF was coming out, I had to have him. So far I have purchased Big Barda from work, Both Parademons from the local comic shop, Firestorm from Target in the states and I was lucky enough to find a Power Girl at the Wal-mart on my little trip yesterday. I have a SuperHeros line Dark Darkseid coming in the mail. Mr. Miracle, Dr. Impossible and the Lantern 2-pack on hold at work and I cannot wait to order the Matty Collector 'Color of Fear' Romat-Ru and Karu-Sil 2-pack Monday (and of course a box of stands). I was surprised by how nice these figures are out of the package, but what would I expect from the four horsemen.

Anyway, to why I am posting, the plan for the trip down to the states (besides TRU BSG) was to find a WalMart Forager figure. With this line I am not purchasing any figures online (with the exceptions of Matty Collector and the SuperHeroes Darkseid's), as I am tired of spending more then I have on toys, not a good idea. But I really want that Forager (MIP), so if anyone on here can give me a hand, I would appreciate it.

Also, I would totally buy Superman's spaceship for this line :P

Only if we get the Justice Jogger first.

1418460040_02b18a5f58.jpg

"Overland Villain Chaser." Makes perfect sense for Superman to be using this thing.

And to the earlier point about the DCUC line--on its merits, not nostalgia--being a better line all the way around, I was going through my Super Powers toys yesterday, and the Batman and Green Lantern, at least, look significantly better than the DCUC versions, figures which frequently suffer from weird proportions and strange headsculpts, not to mention major issues of quality control that many have experienced. Articulation is really important, but it isn't everything by any means.

Edited by karamazov80

ooOOOOoooo!

Can we get the "Easy Chair of Destruction" too?

kbb.jpg

Or maybe the unproduced "Hamsterball of Humiliation"?

attv.jpg

ooOOOOoooo!

Can we get the "Easy Chair of Destruction" too?

kbb.jpg

Or maybe the unproduced "Hamsterball of Humiliation"?

attv.jpg

Why!?!?!?! :sick:

Well who wouldn't want Aquaman in a MOONROVER?!?!?!?!?! It was such a great, well-thought-out idea!! :rolleyes:

I just hope that, at the rate Mattel is doing both produced and unproduced Super Powers toys, we get that blue transparent guy Powers had planned for the line. That'd be so, so awesome.

Oh, and i bought Power Girl. 1 of 3 down, 2 to go. Maybe I'll try to find Man-bat for good measure, but no promises. Now i just have to wait for Wave 11, which should starting hitting in 2 weeks. Oh joy...thanks Mattel.

Crap; AND "The Color of Fear" comes out tomorrow. This is way too expensive of a toy collection. <_<

Tell me about it!

Tomorrow:

Color of Fear 2-pack (25.00)

JLU Doom Patrol 4-Pack (30.00)

Wednesday:

New Marvel Minimates (30.00)

Some time in the near future:

DCUC 11 (100.00)

That's almost 200 dollars of stuff I'd like to get.

Guess how much money I currently have. Rhymes with gun. :D

Tell me about it!

Tomorrow:

Color of Fear 2-pack (25.00)

JLU Doom Patrol 4-Pack (30.00)

Wednesday:

New Marvel Minimates (30.00)

Some time in the near future:

DCUC 11 (100.00)

That's almost 200 dollars of stuff I'd like to get.

Guess how much money I currently have. Rhymes with gun. :D

Why are complaining if you have 10,000,000,001 dollars?!?!?! :lol:

Don't even get me started. I'm one of those people that even wants a Justice Guild of America JLU set (just rewatched the episode and reminded me how much i loved it; we need Catman), so that's another $30 right there. then there's Darkseid and Trigon DCUC Waves, both of which i want all 7 of!! AND i have to finish Giganta, and there SHOULD be new JLU 6-packs, 3-packs, and singles VERY soon. :(

All goes to show Mattel sucks. Hard. And i hate them. Not the 4H, though. If they got rid of Mattel and could somehow do these on their own and at a reasonable price, well that'd be dandy.

I HATE to double-post, but this VERY news worthy. AFI just got a big announcement from Mattel (of course they did...:rolleyes:) regarding Wave 11, retro WGSH, and JLU (along with WWE, etc, but that isn't relevent):

Big MattyCollector.com Update from Mattel

There’s a big update from Mattel today about all things MattyCollector.com over on the MattyCollector Facebook page. This update covers everything from DCUC to Ghostbusters to WWE to MOTUC to the MattyCollector.com sale tomorrow. There’s a lot of information to cover so dive in!

Hey gang!

Its been a while since I offered a general update and rather post a little bit here and there on fan forums, I thought a good posting on Facdbook for all the lines would be best.

DC Universe world:

So lets see, sounds like Wave 11 has hit stores which is very exciting. And on top of that, I can announce that we will indeed have Wave 11 for sale on MattyCollector.com.

It is unsure at this point if we will have it before the holidays, but when we get Wave 11 in, it will be sold as a master case of 8. You will get:

1 X Katmai Tui with constructs

1 X John Stewart with constructs

1 X Shark

1 X Cyborg Superman in Sinestro Corps uniform

1 X Steppenwolf (Red)

1 X Steppenwolf (Green)

1 X Deadman (standard version)

1 X The Question – fan choice!

And of course all the parts you need to make Kilowog! The only figure not included in this set is the clear chase version of Deadman. This version is exclusive to retailers.

Pricing and onsale dates will be posted in the coming weeks, but this is a first step to helping improve distribution!

In other DC news, we just got in the first test shots of 12" Zod! Boy is he fantastic! We want to make a few small changes before showing to the public, but if you’ve seen our 12" Ghostbuster figures, you’ll know the quality to expect. Zod will use the same basic body and packaging structure, but of course he will have all the details and accessories custom for him including an extra set of hands, Earth weapons for him to bend and melt with heatvision, as well as a stand for the pack out Oval Office setting! Overall an incredible figure is coming Dec 15th!

And speaking of Dec 15th, we’ll also have the first ever Retro Action 8" Vintage Figure: Green Arrow! This is a preview figure for an all new line coming to Toys R Us and select online retailers in the Spring. Each figure is painstakingly created with the look and feel of the toys you knew as a kid. Who say’s they don’t make toys like they used to?

Now we did hit one snag, we won’t have our full order on Dec 15th. So much like Mer-Man, Green Arrow may sell out quick, but we’ll have a few more in within a week or so. But if you want this guy for the holidays, be there on MattyCollector.com on Dec 15th at 12:00 noon eastern time!

And JLU is shipping! You may have seen a few new 3 packs starting to trickle out. We’re working with Target now to clear out old sets and get more new sets in before the end of the year and we’ll keep shipping at least into the first few months of 2010 until we get caught up. JLU is still coming! This is one of my highest priorities!

For the full announcement with Avatar, WWE, MOTU Classics, and GBusters:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/

HOLY FRAKKING GAWD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i don't have to track them down in store AND can guarantee all 8 at once. AND they'll be at Matty-correct prices, no jacked-up LCS prices. My only gripe is not getting clear arm/leg Deadman with it becuase that IS the version i wanted, but oh well; i can live with it. Hell, i'll get BOTH Steppenwolves, so that's even better because i couldn't decide which i wanted(unlike Wildcat where Blue was superior)!! I honestly never thought i'd love Matty so much.

Then they FINALLY gave info on JLU!!!! Knowing that they are ACTUALLY going around and getting rid of the ridiculous Fire/Ice/John, Supes/Huntress/Galatea, and Flash/WW/Question packs is fantastic, and they say new packs will be shipping into around March (i'm assuming), so i can still keep up hope for Blackhawk, The WALL (:lol: i love Waller), Superfriends, Plastic Man, and the many other singles and 6-pack sets. The only thing i'm pissed about is Batman Beyond.

Great news, FINALLY, Matty. Now if only you could answer Q&As like this. :rolleyes:

Being an owner of the 12" Ray Stanz figure, I would argue that "if you’ve seen our 12" Ghostbuster figures, you’ll know the quality to expect" is not necessarily a good thing. The proton pack on that figure is magnificent, but just about everything else is sub-par--the sculpt, the body, the clothing. Zod doesn't have a fancy weapon, so I wouldn't be expecting much from him. I surely hope that they don't charge as much as they did for Ray ($60), or he's gonna be sitting on their website for a good, long while, I would predict.

Even though I only want Question from wave 11, that is good news about selling "master cases" on their website. Here's to hoping that their prices are fair.

I'm kind of looking forward to the Mego-like figures, as well, but will wait until I see more before deciding if I want to collect any of them.

Edited by karamazov80

Just a question for the long time DC toy collectors.

How does the 2003 Mattel Batman line compare to the DCU line? What I would like to know is how do the theme Batman's compare to the DCU Batman's in quality. I like the look of the Croc Armor Batman, but I want him to look nice beside the other DCU figures.

If I'm not mistaken, Pickle, a couple of those 2003 Mattel Batman figures (like Joker, Robin and Nightwing) were repainted for the short-lived DC Superheroes line that unofficially started DCUC...

Yep, and quite frankly a lot of them still sucked.

So did anyone else order The Color of Fear today?? Placed mine about an hour ago with MotUC Scareglow, and cannot wait. I'll be a little mad that they won't match up with DCD Sinestro as much as i want them too, but standing next to him and Kryb shouldn't be that bad. Pissed about the one dog though.

Really upset that i had to pass up one of the Matty JLU sets i actually want; Doom Patrol. They're one of my favorite DC teams and i really want them. Of course, i figured that, judging by other Matty JLU sales, this one'll be here ofr a while. Maybe i'll do them, Justice Guild, and Animal Instincts at the same time... :blush: