UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Licenses, What would YOU like to see Minimated ?

21 minutes ago, cylonchaney said:

Actually, I'm far from alone. That doesn't mean no one liked but there are certainly many who agree with me.

When you say ratings, do you mean as in rotten tomatoes type ratings or do you mean number of people who watched it?

Picard gets 56% from the viewers on RT where the Mandalorian gets 91%.

They are touting how it broke streaming records on CBS all access. It's a very new service so somewhat easy to break records. And you have to take their word for it. Have you seen them report any actual numbers or just phrases like biggest premiere ever on CBS All Access?

The numbers this article links to are based on actual viewers in Canada where it aired on TV.  https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/05/star-trek-picard-viewership-plummets-over-half-a-million-in-canada/

It's possible that my dislike of the show and confirmation bias are steering me towards the Trek equivalent of flat earth conspiracy web sites but I don't think so.

Out of curiosity, did you like the show personally?

I too would love to complete the TNG bridge crew and an Enterprise D in the same style as the Enterprises we already have.

I’m going off the numbers from All Access which they did reveal to advertisers at a certain level and am focused on US (no offense). It’s interesting that there’s conflicting info but the book their media team uses doesn’t have the alleged drop to that degree. Rotten tomatoes is cute but not real in my evaluation. Given the production costs and the second season pick up I’m more inclined to believe that there was churn but not half the audience. It would be fascinating to see how it did globally and if the 2nd season was built into the original order. Also the whole future of the franchise is fascinating given Viacom V CBS. 

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thereasonsy said:

I’m going off the numbers from All Access which they did reveal to advertisers at a certain level and am focused on US (no offense). It’s interesting that there’s conflicting info but the book their media team uses doesn’t have the alleged drop to that degree. Rotten tomatoes is cute but not real in my evaluation. Given the production costs and the second season pick up I’m more inclined to believe that there was churn but not half the audience. It would be fascinating to see how it did globally and if the 2nd season was built into the original order. Also the whole future of the franchise is fascinating given Viacom V CBS. 

Fair enough. I just took minor exception to your statement that ratings suggest I'm alone, and sought to refute it. :) 

If you want to continue this discussion, we should do so on the Star Trek mates thread. I'd still like to know if you liked it or not and if you did, I'd be interested to discuss why in a respectful and friendly manner. If not no worries.

And back to the point of the thread, if we were to get mates, I'd buy anything I could pretend was older Trek or possibly the classic characters. Which characters would you most like to see minimated?

Mr. Chaney's definitely not alone although the success of CBS' Trek series suggests most Trekkies are embracing the shows. The initial complaints about Discovery seemed to be from "fans" who didn't understand the franchise. They thought casting a Black female lead was simply being politically correct, a decision made to turn Star Trek into a platform for SJWs. As if the franchise had ever been anything else.

That said, I've read complaints about the stories, technology, and other concepts that weren't clearly rooted in xenophobia or racism. However, these criticisms are usually the same kind of trivial nitpicking that the franchise's fandom is famous for.

Like it or not, had Discovery not found a profitable audience for the studio, it wouldn't be entering its fourth season. On the contrary, it's spawned Picard and Lower Decks (both with second season commitments) with three other series on the way.

Hopefully Strange New Worlds is more to the liking of classic viewers but I've never met a Trekkie who didn't complain about some aspect of even their favorite series. It's part of our DNA.

Now, gimme Minimates of all of it, not just TOS. ? ?

• 8 months later...

I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but I still think Masters of the Universe would be a great fit. Lots of creative parts re-use, bright and colorful designs, and the potential for small-scale vehicles if they are part of the license.

• 10 months later...

Could they do "Films of John Carpenter" as a license?

Ex: The Thing, They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York/LA, The Fog, Halloween...

A general horror series could be fun too, with multiple licenses.

The Big Lebowski box sets?

Robocop seems like a winner, and you wouldn't need that many to call it a day. WIth DLX-sized ED-209.

I'm just spitballin' here.

i could definitely use a mini rug to really tie my minimate display together…

lol just thinking about the dude, walt, donny, and jesus for a bowling alley box set is 👌🏽

would also buy any set from the carpenter films!

i recently got the spongebob ‘mates and found myself wondering if the “giant head with arms coming out the sides”-look could work for my boys the Street Sharks!

If you presume two Robocops anchoring two box sets, one clean and one damaged, we'd have six slots to fill:

Clarence Boddicker

Alex Murphy

Anne Lewis

Mutated Emile (w/ standard parts)

Dick Jones

Bob Morton

Exclusive Dystopian TV Two-Pack:

TJ Lazer & Bixby Snyder (But That for a Dollar guy)

"Boardroom" Var ED-209 with Kinney

"Damaged" Var ED-209 with another Damaged Robocop

[and/or Vinimate ED-209]

18 hours ago, elhonez said:

I would buy two Robocops, so I could finally make my Jugger Grimrod custom from Alien Legion:

robocop_0.jpg&q=60

alien-legion-v2-5-solo-jugger-grimrod-2.

I believe I used a Cyclops visor to make him? I'm not sure, I'd have to check. I made a bunch of Alien Legion characters years ago.

Yes! I made a bunch of them using cylon armor. Back then those were really easy to find; I bet Luke still has some. I used a Nightcrawler head and the snake base from...oh, a Pathfinder character maybe? For the snake guy. A Gambit hairpiece for that one guy that wore one like that, and Starfire's head for that one big woman. And Jugger I think was just the original X-Men Cyclops visor, which is shaped differently from the more modern ones. But maybe it was a different piece; I still haven't checked. 😄

Ah those are all pretty legit choices -- Nightcrawler for Major Sarigar is inspired.

I was bending my brain trying to think of how to do Cyborg Zeerod from Vol. 2. Maybe Splinter for the head? At one point I had picked out some bionic leg stand-ins.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...