UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Licenses, What would YOU like to see Minimated ?

Yeah yeah, I know.  And this forum has been pretty down on its namesake brand for longer than a year.  AND AND I know that DST is trying (or so I'm lead to believe), even if they have little success with anything outside the marvel stuff.  That said, I still think it's wild that in a community of dedicated fans no one has noodled about future franchise lines in over a year.  Noodled about non-Marvel adjacent lines, I mean.

Now that I think about it, did those Pacific Rim DFormz ever hit the shelves?  I haven't seen them, but I also haven't really been looking.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

Yeah yeah, I know.  And this forum has been pretty down on its namesake brand for longer than a year.  AND AND I know that DST is trying (or so I'm lead to believe), even if they have little success with anything outside the marvel stuff.  That said, I still think it's wild that in a community of dedicated fans no one has noodled about future franchise lines in over a year.  Noodled about non-Marvel adjacent lines, I mean.

Now that I think about it, did those Pacific Rim DFormz ever hit the shelves?  I haven't seen them, but I also haven't really been looking.

I'd argue that's because we've already discussed to great lengths what licenses we'd like to see, and having done so several times, repeating those hasn't made minimates of them appear. When there hasn't been anything outside of Marvel to be excited about in terms of product announcements I think it's difficult to spark discussion on toys many believe will never be made. I get excited fantasizing about licenses and products that I think have the possibility to actually be produced; I'm losing that excitement, especially with no new licenses on the horizon.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

5 hours ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

I'd argue that's because we've already discussed to great lengths what licenses we'd like to see, and having done so several times, repeating those hasn't made minimates of them appear. When there hasn't been anything outside of Marvel to be excited about in terms of product announcements I think it's difficult to spark discussion on toys many believe will never be made. I get excited fantasizing about licenses and products that I think have the possibility to actually be produced; I'm losing that excitement, especially with no new licenses on the horizon.

Here here. Or worse they appear as Vinimates.

3 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

I would like to see ANYTHING non-marvel make it to retail at this point.

This had me thinking what were the last non-marvel minimate releases? See below for a recent history of non-Marvel minimate releases:

KH Light Cycle - Feb. 13, 2019

The Predator Box Set - Nov. 21, 2018

NBX Halloween Town Box Set - Oct. 31, 2018

BB NYCC 2018 Desmodius - Oct. 4, 2018

KH Wave 2 - August 1, 2018

KH Wave 1 - May 30, 2018

Aliens Series 4 - May 16, 2018

NBX TRU Series 5 - Nov. 16, 2017

NBX Series 5 - Nov. 8, 2017

Elf Box Set - Nov. 8, 2017

Beetlejuice TRU Series 1 - Nov. 4, 2017

Predator TRU Series 5 - Nov. 3, 2017

Beetlejuice Box Set 1 - Oct. 18, 2017

2017 was the last year we had a real plethora of non-Marvel minimates with 25 releases (box sets, regular waves, and TRU waves each counted as 1), 2 of which were promotional releases. 2018 brought only releases, 1 of them being promotional and from a line that hadn't had a release since 2013. 2019 brought only 1 release and from a license that didn't have enough interest/sales to achieve a 3rd wave at retail. And as for 2020, it's brought not a single whiff of non-marvel minimates outside of a couple of box sets that also failed to achieve enough interest to be made. It's staggering to see the drop-off in the last 3 years, but at this point it can't drop off anymore. Here's hoping DST can find a profitable license for minimates that can last longer than a single wave or box set, or even just something that gathers enough interest to be released.

3 hours ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

This had me thinking what were the last non-marvel minimate releases? See below for a recent history of non-Marvel minimate releases:

KH Light Cycle - Feb. 13, 2019

The Predator Box Set - Nov. 21, 2018

NBX Halloween Town Box Set - Oct. 31, 2018

BB NYCC 2018 Desmodius - Oct. 4, 2018

KH Wave 2 - August 1, 2018

KH Wave 1 - May 30, 2018

Aliens Series 4 - May 16, 2018

NBX TRU Series 5 - Nov. 16, 2017

NBX Series 5 - Nov. 8, 2017

Elf Box Set - Nov. 8, 2017

Beetlejuice TRU Series 1 - Nov. 4, 2017

Predator TRU Series 5 - Nov. 3, 2017

Beetlejuice Box Set 1 - Oct. 18, 2017

2017 was the last year we had a real plethora of non-Marvel minimates with 25 releases (box sets, regular waves, and TRU waves each counted as 1), 2 of which were promotional releases. 2018 brought only releases, 1 of them being promotional and from a line that hadn't had a release since 2013. 2019 brought only 1 release and from a license that didn't have enough interest/sales to achieve a 3rd wave at retail. And as for 2020, it's brought not a single whiff of non-marvel minimates outside of a couple of box sets that also failed to achieve enough interest to be made. It's staggering to see the drop-off in the last 3 years, but at this point it can't drop off anymore. Here's hoping DST can find a profitable license for minimates that can last longer than a single wave or box set, or even just something that gathers enough interest to be released.

i bought ALL OF THESE.  only reason i bought the KH was for series 3.....which was then cancelled.  ugh.  i even bought the bike.

1 hour ago, nandoninny said:

i bought ALL OF THESE.  only reason i bought the KH was for series 3.....which was then cancelled.  ugh.  i even bought the bike.

You are a good one. I didn’t buy all of these because I had zero interest and couldn’t use the parts for scraps.

7 hours ago, nandoninny said:

5 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

You are a good one. I didn’t buy all of these because I had zero interest and couldn’t use the parts for scraps.

I bought all of those (above) & I have zero interest in them & I know what that says about me :confused:

There is some consolation for me in the fact that many of the 'shelved' licenses are actually some of the rarest minimates (according to what I see on eBay).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 12:51 AM, cylonchaney said:

That's from T2. We didn't really get any Minimates from the other movies.

The Terminator could have been a pretty simple 4-pack (Sarah, Reese, Terminator, Endoskeleton).

There are other fun designs from the other films that would make cool toys. This thing as a Vinimate or Select figure? Okay!

20 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

That's from T2. We didn't really get any Minimates from the other movies.

The Terminator could have been a pretty simple 4-pack (Sarah, Reese, Terminator, Endoskeleton).

There are other fun designs from the other films that would make cool toys. This thing as a Vinimate or Select figure? Okay!

We did actually get the T1 versions of the T-800 and Kyle Reese because of a flashback scene and there were already plenty of endoskeletons. But maybe if they gave us new versions of all those characters. Hydraulic Press Damaged Endoskeleton would have been cool. :) Extra head with the eye going out.

I could also have sworn we got the Tech Noir look terminator but I was wrong.

14 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

We did actually get the T1 versions of the T-800 and Kyle Reese because of a flashback scene and there were already plenty of endoskeletons. But maybe if they gave us new versions of all those characters. Hydraulic Press Damaged Endoskeleton would have been cool. :) Extra head with the eye going out.

I could also have sworn we got the Tech Noir look terminator but I was wrong.

Yeah, that's kinda like all those Prometheus Minimates we got in the Alien line thanks to a deleted scene from Covenant. That press-damaged endo is a cool idea.

I also though they found a way to offer a Tech Noir Terminator but maybe I'm thinking of a custom. Either way, there's more to be mined from this property and at this point they could start over. Personally I'd like to see a Terminator with a totally sculpted body that other parts could be attached to. The bare skeleton would look wee (as it should) but it would give the figure a slightly different play pattern. Kat's artificial arm from Halo is what I'm thinking.

4 hours ago, nandoninny said:

man, i was thinking, was ROBOCOP ever considered?  i saw the mez-its the other day and thought, man, those would make killer minimates

I am right there with you.  Three box sets, BttF style, would be fantastic!  Of all the rad lines 'mates have had, Robocop is the glaring hole in the collection.

Regards Terminator I've always cherished the T-1000s which are perhaps the most-off-the-wall minimates of them all .  More from the property ? Clearly they seem to be an eBay rarity , 11 years after their release but I'm personally sceptical that anything other than a 4 -pack would sell ?  However much I enjoyed the T2 'mates I was eventually completely endoskeleton-out , a Minimate that never really worked (for me) re-released again & again ,finally being chosen again as the character packed with the Hunter/Killer tank :Dunno:  

2 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

I am right there with you.  Three box sets, BttF style, would be fantastic!  Of all the rad lines 'mates have had, Robocop is the glaring hole in the collection.

For the first two movies, I could probably justify 2 4-packs per. I would not buy any merchandise from the 3rd movie because it was such a disappointment. Would love to see Kane / Robocop 2, Emil / Melting Emil, ED-209 (underscale minimate size) among others.

30 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Regards Terminator I've always cherished the T-1000s which are perhaps the most-off-the-wall minimates of them all .  More from the property ? Clearly they seem to be an eBay rarity , 11 years after their release but I'm personally sceptical that anything other than a 4 -pack would sell ?  However much I enjoyed the T2 'mates I was eventually completely endoskeleton-out , a Minimate that never really worked (for me) re-released again & again ,finally being chosen again as the character packed with the Hunter/Killer tank :Dunno:  

At least the endos work as an army builder.

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I’m still kinda annoyed we never got the exploded T-1000 piece in sand color as a sandman accessory. 

4 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

For the first two movies, I could probably justify 2 4-packs per. I would not buy any merchandise from the 3rd movie because it was such a disappointment. Would love to see Kane / Robocop 2, Emil / Melting Emil, ED-209 (underscale minimate size) among others.

At least the endos work as an army builder.

While I'm with you that Robocop 3 is dreadful, I think there's just enough for one good boxset: Jetpack Robo, Cyber Samurai, The kid (what's her name), and New replacement old man (who's name also escapes me).

The big one I would love to see is a Vandalized Robocop (from part 2) with a kick me sign and a creepy smiling face.  It would make the perfect convention exclusive along side a human Kane or something.

I'm putting good vibes out into the universe.  Let's make it happen, brother.

18 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

I’m still kinda annoyed we never got the exploded T-1000 piece in sand color as a sandman accessory. 

THIS!!! Also, I would love Robocop but I doubt we’d get him even though the property is seeing a resurgence. If anything, they would get the license and try to force Vinimates down our throats.