UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

minimadman

Sorry if this is bloggish but I have no other outlet in this instance. This weekend the wife and I with our kids and my mother in tow headed off to Atlanta. We took the kids to the zoo and aquarium and today we watched my beloved Red Sox lose. Before we left I told my wife that I wanted to board the dogs at the vets office which she shot down saying that we should not spend money on that when they would be fine in the fenced in yard. We got home about 45 mins ago and one of the boards on the fence fell and the dogs are gone. One of the dogs we have only had for a few months her name is Lila, we got her from a shelter to keep Franklin company. This is Franklin.

100_3989.jpg

Franklin.jpg

He is a Jack Russell but not the crazy hyper kind you read about. He's got to be the laziest member of the breed ever to walk this Earth and I have had him for 9 years since he was a puppy. I have never had a connection with a dog the way I do with Franklin. I am going to check the shelter and knock on every door in the area tomorrow. With him getting older I have had to start thinking about life without him but it should not have to be this way. My wife thinks that I blame her and is really upset and to be honest I don't know if I do or not. I don't want to. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am going to get a drink. maybe Johnny Walker Red will help me calm down. Thanks for listening. Sorry to the mods if this rubs you the wrong way I can't put it on my proper blog the wife reads it from time to time.

Aww... real sorry about your dogs minimadman. :( I know all too well what it's like... we used to have this really sweet dachshund puppy from our aunt a couple years ago, but he got lost just a month after we got him, while my brother and I were out of town. Seems he followed my sister (who has a bad habit of sneaking out of the house at night) to God knows where and she didn't even realize it. It really is tempting to pin the blame on someone else, I really hope you find 'em.

Dude, that is horrible. :( I really hope they find their way back to you, and I'd say that two dogs running around together can only increase the chances that someone notices them and helps them get home.

I'm not sure if you're asking for opinions on the blame thing (or just looking to vent, which is more than understandable), but if you are asking I'd say try really hard not to. From what you say, it sounds like your wife is blaming herself either way, but a fence board falling off is one crazy fluke that nobody could've predicted.

Best of luck tomorrow, I hope everything works out.

just as a note, I recently lost my dog. he died very suddenly while i was at work. he wasn't too old and as far as we knew, he wasn't sick. sometimes things just happen. luckily, Franklin and Lila are still alive and they can make it back to you. just keep up hope, they'll come back. please keep us posted

I have been out for 3 hours and they have been spotted on the 4 lane highway that's about a mile from my house. This sucks because the last time they were seen it was about 2 miles away and there is only so much ground I can cover.

I lost my dog once. I mom was REALLY upset. I was very calm and stated "She will either come back or not" which made my mother all the more angry, especially the later it got when she wasn't around. I love my dog, but it was true, she'd either come back or not. She eventually came back. She is like 40 lbs and crawled though a 6 inch gap under the fence, tearing up her back because she gets scared of thunder and goes into a blind panic. It was kinda pathetic.

I hope you find your dog. And don't blame your wife. A marriage is a precious thing, and your four legged friend would never want that. He may still turn up! :)

Franklin is home!!! A guy I spoke to this morning called and said that he saw them on the road behind my house that they had first escaped on I jumped in the truck and found them. They must have been running all night because Franklin is exhausted. Lila on the other hand still had the energy to evade and after 2 more hours of chasing her has disappeared again. I have to wait for her to pop up again but she is microchipped and if she is captured by someone else the vet will contact me. The wife and I will probably go out and look again later.

Dude, that is great news. I really hope you can get your other dog back, too.

I also have a Jack Russell, and he's dumb as hell, but literally the most tenacious dog I've ever seen, and has managed to escape our yard more than once based on his will-power alone. People think I'm a little paranoid, but after a couple of these instances, I always take extra precautions to make sure my dogs can't escape. I never let them out without a leash, and usually keep their collars on them if there is even the slightest chance they might get out. I would be devastated if they ran off.

I actually mentioned this to a friend of mine this morning ,along the lines of " this guy 'I know' has lost both his dogs ....must be awful !" .....before I could explain where the dogs were actually lost & by whom ....Len (my friend) was ready to go help you hunt the buggers down.

I explained where you lived & he was even more concerned.... "that's a long way away ...isn't it ?". I don't currently own a dog but losing one ,let alone two , is bloody awful.

Glad to see things are getting a bit more optimistic. :)

It's a pretty great feeling of relief when they get back home, isn't it? My german shepherd wandered off for about a month before coming back home on her own accord. Had I lived in a tighter community, I might could have tracked her through neighbors reporting in, but living out in the country, that's a lot of ground to cover.

Glad one of your friends is back, and from the sound of it, the other one is at least well, even if she's still wandering.

I'm glad its getting sorted. I'm an animal person I've been brought up wth dogs and its a animal that gives you pure love and friendship. My GF said she would never have a dog, till the crunch when she was there and it was she took the dog or it went to the pound

She is now talking of getting the dog tattooed on her. animals are pure love no bull or bollacks

YAY! I'm so happy for you! See? Told you they'd turn up!

Well Franklin is home Lila is still out there somewhere. We adopted her from the local Humane Society and think she was abused by her previous owners which has made her very skittish and by way of that it also makes her hard to catch. We are going to keep looking and I am going to call the Humane Society tomorrow and let them know. Luckily they microchip all of their animals so if someone does get her and takes her to a vet's office or the animal shelter they can contact us. I really appreciate the support of everyone here. One of the reason I love this board is all of the decent people that hang out here. Thanks again you guys. Steven

P.S. I have some stuff on eBay and when it sells Franklin will be getting one of these.

Im glad you found franklin i hope everything else with Lila follows in the same fashion...i had a dog but my sister found out she was allergic and we had to give him back...then he got attacked by a bigger dog and now has one eye and 3 legs...so im glad your situation turned out better than ours!-jo

Very good to hear you got Franklin back at least. I have had a few escape artist dogs over the years so I know what you're going through. If she turns up again, you might want to bring Franklin with you when you try to get her. We had a skittish beagle growing up who was the sidekick of one of those escape artists. Always helped calm her down to see her partner in crime. Nothing trying to catch a skittish dog in the Georgia heat, and it aint a dry heat. (grew up in Disgusta)

Lila is now home as well. My wife opened the door to leave for work at 6:30 this morning and she was lying there waiting to come in. I am very relieved to have them both home and plan on spending tomorrow going over every board to make sure that this does not happen again. Thanks again for all the encouragement. This board rocks. :buttrock: