UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Michael Jackson is Dead

Punisher

The word Icon get thrown around a lot these days but Michael Jackson was an Icon in the truest sense of the word. He shaped modern pop like few others. Though he was marked by terrible things in his later years the world is a different place now without him.

BTW Punisher you link is broken.

Oh man... Earth is on a death kick today...

This is awful news. Even though he was tried for things and for a while I didn't like him that much... you cannot deny he had talent. He was one of the major makers of music ever and he'll be missed.

Rest in peace Michael. And rest well knowing you will not be forgotten.

I guess this week is all about having the 80's taken away from you.

Worst week ever.

Michael Jackson's substantially contributed to and defined popular music and revolutionized MTV & music videos with Thriller. He certainly left an indelible mark on the industry.

Regrettably, he was also his own worst enemy when it came to preserving and continuing that legacy... Unfortunately, the history of Michael Jackson will likely both reflect his great acheivements, as well as his erratic behavior and bizarre lifestyle of the last decade.

Along with titles like Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Black Or White and A-B-C-1-2-3, which defined his early career, he will perpetually be associated with excessive cosmetic surgery, baby dangling, child-molestation accusations, cancelled tours, inability to socially relate to adults, pet chimpanzee and out of control spending & debt, which characterized his pulic life for the last decade.

Worse yet, even now, his attorney is blubbering on CNN and making the accusation that his death was caused by self medicating and mixing drugs from various sources a la Anna Nicole Whats-her-bucket.

What a waste.

Edited by captain_cbecker

Wow...can't say that i liked him, being bon into the year of his scandal and wasn't really raised to like him, but he will definitely be missed by many.

Remember where i heard this first today, too. Was in the car on the way to my Grandma's, reading "Uncanny X-men/Dark Avengers Utopia," when the song on the radio was interupted: "We have just been informed that Michael Jackson has died at age 50."

I got a really sharp pain in my stomach at the word "dead" and couldn't even read. It was shocking.

Farrah, Lorena, Michael. Damn; three great celebrities in one day...:(

Sad to hear. It's a shame that his musical legacy will forever be tainted because of things that may or may not have happened behind the scenes.

I don't that his musical legacy will be tainted. His personal life will likely be used as a cautionary tale for celebrities and it should be. I am in no way sweeping under the rug of the things that he was accused of, but it is highly likely that there are things in his past that made him the way he was.

Wow...can't say that i liked him, being bon into the year of his scandal and wasn't really raised to like him, but he will definitely be missed by many.

Remember where i heard this first today, too. Was in the car on the way to my Grandma's, reading "Uncanny X-men/Dark Avengers Utopia," when the song on the radio was interupted: "We have just been informed that Michael Jackson has died at age 50."

I got a really sharp pain in my stomach at the word "dead" and couldn't even read. It was shocking.

Farrah, Lorena, Michael. Damn; three great celebrities in one day...:(

Lorena? Lorena who?

Oh God guys...

Heath Ledger? Paul Newman? Charlton Heston? Betty Page? And just this season David Carradine, Lorena Gale, Farrah Fawcett AND ol' Jacko?

I hate to say this guys, but I have this sinking feeling we're about to witness the end of an era, and the start of a scary new decade. I'm a part of the whipper-snapper generation just like anybody and even I'M freaked. Heck, I was freaked since way back when I realized George Harrison, John Entwhistle and Syd Barrett all passed on with me barely noticing :(

Oh God guys...

Heath Ledger? Paul Newman? Charlton Heston? Betty Page? And just this season David Carradine, Lorena Gale, Farrah Fawcett AND ol' Jacko?

I hate to say this guys, but I have this sinking feeling we're about to witness the end of an era, and the start of a scary new decade. I'm a part of the whipper-snapper generation just like anybody and even I'M freaked. Heck, I was freaked since way back when I realized George Harrison, John Entwhistle and Syd Barrett all passed on with me barely noticing :(

Not sure that Ledger's death was on the same level as Newman and Heston but I know what you mean. You left George Carlin off your list BTW.

Oh God guys...

Not sure that Ledger's death was on the same level as Newman and Heston but I know what you mean. You left George Carlin off your list BTW.

Argh, knew I was forgetting somebody (Actually I felt I forgot a LOT of people, I suddenly remembered that Dungeons and Dragons guy Gary Gygax for some reason. And then there was that weird nerd grief I felt over Jacques Derrida and Robert Rauschenburg...)

And yeah, Ledger may seem like an odd part of the analogy but his death pretty much shocked my generation as much as, say, River Phoenix's did in his time. People dying young isn't just tragic, but honestly it affects younger people at a level otherwise unimaginable, since the younger generations have always subscribed to this "We're young and indestructible and the world is our oyster" mentality. And yet now, the fact that so many celebrities we've "grown up with" over the years are slowly and inevitably passing on one by one is a sobering reminder that mortality is cold hard fact for all of us. (Man, I think about this stuff too much. I think I need a cold shower.)

Now I want to go back and listen to Dangerous. For some odd reason that has become my pet MJ album, probably because of all the childhood memories I've had that got attached to the songs on that album. Heck, even the album cover evokes pure and utter nostalgia in me. The Man was a Master in his prime. May he find eternal peace.

And yeah, Ledger may seem like an odd part of the analogy but his death pretty much shocked my generation as much as, say, River Phoenix's did in his time. People dying young isn't just tragic, but honestly it affects younger people at a level otherwise unimaginable, since the younger generations have always subscribed to this "We're young and indestructible and the world is our oyster" mentality. And yet now, the fact that so many celebrities we've "grown up with" over the years are slowly and inevitably passing on one by one is a sobering reminder that mortality is cold hard fact for all of us. (Man, I think about this stuff too much. I think I need a cold shower.)

You're not the only one who thinks about this too much. I thought the exact same thing. After all... after seeing them in so many movies or music videos or anything, it's a face you begin to recognize. And it's strange to think that it's a face that will never appear in anything new. All that is left is memories and their legacy. Their movies, their msuic, thier literature, whatever. The question is, when we die, will there be much of a legacy to remember? And I try to make sure I will not be forgotten.

And I will never forget Michael Jackson's cameo in MIB 2. I count it amongst the funniest cameos ever.

I watched Moonwalker all the time as a kid, every shool holidays!

I've already been sent about 5 or 6 joke emails about his & Farrah's death's. People just couldn't wait, i guess.

They were both kind of Icons to me, and i'm a little sad.

R.I.P. to both of them.

You're not the only one who thinks about this too much. I thought the exact same thing. After all... after seeing them in so many movies or music videos or anything, it's a face you begin to recognize. And it's strange to think that it's a face that will never appear in anything new. All that is left is memories and their legacy. Their movies, their msuic, thier literature, whatever. The question is, when we die, will there be much of a legacy to remember? And I try to make sure I will not be forgotten.

And I will never forget Michael Jackson's cameo in MIB 2. I count it amongst the funniest cameos ever.

His cameo was very funny-"Can't I be 'Agent M'?"=)

But in all seriousness his death is a tragedy and he will be missed. I was listening to "BBC" last night and all night long and all throughout the morning they were playing his music and when "I'll Be There" started playing, I'll be honest, I shed a few tears for him. I think it was the fact that he never got to say goodbye to the world he loved and influenced that made me even more bummed out.