UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Cereal Minimates

...if the licensor hasn't approved them or approved their release to the public than we really shouldn't have been shown them.

Couldn't they simply add the disclaimer "Pending Licensor Approval"? What's the big deal about showing us part of the design process?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way, your in negotiations to do something, next minute its all over aweb site.

Not a good scenario.

Cyc is right, we really shouldnt be shown them and Art Asylum didnt want us shown them. Sadly there was a breakdown in the lines of communication somewhere.

It's getting back to the same thing as the DC mates resolicit, if the licensor hasn't approved them or approved their release to the public than we really shouldn't have been shown them.

'course we practically goaded them into it...

:jawdrop: I'm shocked you'd suggest such a thing! ;) IMO, it comes down to not offering what you can't provide. If you can't provide news on a timely basis, don't say you will. If (as Jeff Cope suggested in his oh so unprofessional way,) the site is nothing more than a place for fans to hang out and discuss product that's out and news they've found elsewhere, then say that.

Course, maybe I'm just being too whiny for the AA boards proper. :P

Damn it! I'm gone for a couple of days, and there are new Mini pics... Whose got them and would like to send them to me? Anyone?

And I've seen Tony within 10 minutes...

You guys are the best.

He does look kinda odd with the thick tail part, he looks too tall...

Who shall be the first to fill my barren PM Inbox with forbidden pixels that no man dare look upon? A shiny golden doubloon and a firm, salty, lick on the face to the first scurvy knave that dares transfer these embargoed bits to my crusty old eyes*. Yarrr.

*Offer not valid with any other offer. Must be 18 years, 2 months, 21 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes, 36 seconds old to enter. Limited time offer, see print ad for details. Submissions will not be returned. Not valid on weekends, religious holidays, secular holidays, fictional holidays, weekdays, additional blackout days may occur. Offer not available to those currently living on any continental landmass, island landmass, archipelago, isthmus, glacier, atoll, strait or peninsula. Potential winner must return signed, notarized, emblemified, cauterized, demarcated Affidavit of Eligibility before the next new moon. Winners agree to allow Ivanâ„¢ to use his or her name, likeness, voice, automobile, toenail clippings, and naughty bits in any way he sees fit.

The two-inch body is good, I think. The bigger 3-inch body would make them look awkward, I think. I'll wait and see what the sculpted heads look like.

I see a lot of custom possibilities from the Tony artwork:

- Arms, legs & tail for an easy Tigra custom

- Chest piece for Bishop

- Head for Man-Wolf (with some modifications)

Now I must figure out if a Toucan Sam could be used to make a Vulture...

Not sure I like the scupted heads. They would look weird with the other mates. I'd get them only for custom fodder.

Sorry. I just can't get excited about this property.

As a premium, maybe. But as a retail product? Nope.

Neither can I! I like minimates, and all, but sheesh...

Medicom already tried this and it bombed. Why would AA even attempt this I wonder.

I'm not even remotely excited by this particular line. Who needs Lord of the Rings or Street Fighter, we have Tony the frickin' Tiger! This can't miss!

Again, as I've said before, I can't picture anyone sitting at home, enjoying a nice bowl of Frosted Flakes, looking at the box and thinking, "If only I had my own miniature Tony the Tiger to play with, then my life would truly be complete." Perhaps I'm wrong on this and there's this whole underground community of cereal-related collectors, but I'm not thinking they are any larger a market than those who followed LotR or Street Fighter. I know they can't match comicbook collectors, yet our beloved Marvel and DC keep getting pushed back and all we're seeing is one seemingly stupid business decision after another.

I've got plenty of paint and plenty of LEGO bandanas that can be used to work on Tigra and Bishop. I'm staying away from these things.

Medicom already tried this and it bombed. Why would AA even attempt this I wonder.

Did it bomb? Wasn't that only in Japan? Hmmmmm.

I was just wondering..... if it was japan release, the AA stuff would be more easily accessible here... without an import cost etc. Hmmmm.

While Cerealmates aren't at the top of my wish list (well, really they're not on the list at all), it's an interesting venture for AA to make, another step into mainstream. Shanester, can we really say the Kubricks bombed? They're making a third series of the Kelloggs mascots. *shrug*

The extreme design is interesting. I really like the big chest and extended pelvis accessories to add height but still keeping it a 2" mate. Very interesting advances in mate technology, that. Which perhap could be applied to Marvel mates....

The Medicom Cereal Kubricks were indeed released in the USA. In fact, the last time I saw them locally was at Tower Records who dumped the last of their stock several months ago for $1 each and still had trouble moving them out.

As far as a third wave goes... Medicom tends to keep their release numbers on these small and there are plenty of Kubrick collectors who will buy some of them.

I had 2 of these myself. Tony the Tiger is on my desk in the building I used to work in (being renovated after Katrina) and the other was the Gorilla that I dissected for parts.

Now, on the other hand, if they make the Monster Cereal mates (Fruit Brute, Boo Berry, etc), I will buy those, but only because I am a freak. I still would not see them being good selling material.

What's interesting (IE - hypocritical) is that Minimates fans have suggested to AA other tried and true directions taken by competitors and the response was typically, "That's their thing. It's not our vibe."

Vibe this. <_<