UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blackest Night

Nestlé

I think they'll hit on that a little more as the story progresses, twoface.

You have to consider that these guys have all seen people come back from the dead, so it's more about specific emotions to dead characters than the fact that they're seeing the dead rise.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'll hit on that a little more as the story progresses, twoface.

You have to consider that these guys have all seen people come back from the dead, so it's more about specific emotions to dead characters than the fact that they're seeing the dead rise.

I don't think we've seen the dead rise quite like this... usually they're more... healthy looking... when the come back around DC.

Haven't made it to the store yet. Somebody either spoiler text or PM me the body count on these. (No I don't care about spoilers personally)

Just read the second issue, and I have to say that I've lost interest. Before you get all up in arms here's why:

Ralph Dibny sacraficed himself to keep the demon Neron in that stone building right? That was the deal, it was a one way entry, as long as his body was there, Neron was contained. So...

he's back?

And

Jean?

Does that mean Neron is free? Kinda would explain a lot. ha take that Geoff Johns, I figured it out!

Also is the ring making him elongated? Or did the dead Ralph start hitting the ginko juice again?

Seriously though, I thoguht Jean's Death, and Identity Crisis was one of the best, if not the best story in comics. I hope they end the arc well, otherwise I'd feel a bit cheated.

Edited by 616commando

It took you to issue 2 to figure out Ralph was stretchy? :blink:

I'm confused.

As for Neron, he and Felix have been free for some time, however Neron no longer rules Hell.

Back on topic, I've found out who the villain is in BN... And you're not gonna guess it unless you're a diehard GL fan.

It's not the anti monitor though.

I'm now trying my spoiler boxes from home too and they don't work here either.

If you want to know who the villain is follow the link:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1013816p1.html

• 2 weeks later...

well i'd never heard of him

anyway, manged to get hold of BN#2, Batman BN#1... and the big FP in London had the free comic book date BN#0, with the lovely black ring, a v.pleasant suprise.

so, this seems like the most appropriate place to ask this, at the moment anyway. I've been looking around online in search of information, with no luck.

can anybody... tell me if they've announced the release dates for Rage of the Red Lanterns and Secret Origins in paperback/softcover yet? I really dont like hardbacks, they look silly.

Not read any of the blackest night stuff but googling etc lets me see some pics. I do like the of the Black Lanterns the way their original costumes are merged with the Black Hand/Lantern logo.

Ohh how I wish DC was still making minimates so there would be a chance of these. (I off to find a big stick and Red Rum.)

Neither one is listed on dccomics.com so I'm gonna go out on limb and say notg for awhile. Sorry.

*sigh* fair enough

i did check there first... was hoping someone might know more than us mere mortals... or have powers or something

• 2 weeks later...

Although i haven't read it yet, Solomon Grundy #7 came out today; if it weren't for the cover and the "Prelude to Blackest Night" banner, i would not have bought it. Hell, i skipped the Poison Ivy cover. But this one has a close up on Grundy's face, with a raised fist wearing a Black Lantern Ring. I mean, it was a matter of time, but this looks bad-ass.

Oh, and Titans #1?? The final panel has me sold; Blackest Night is the best comic-event of all time. If DC can do that, i'm in for the long-haul. The same goes for the middle of the the latest GL issue; i LOVE Larfleeze's face in that panel (if you read it, you know what i mean).

Onto the BIG news. Apparently, people like the free Black Lantern Ring promotion DC Direct did. DC didn't want to make more, but people loved it; go figure, Brewer!! This is the SECOND GL exclusive you didn't expect people liking!! Well, to answer demand, DC Direct WILL BE MAKING FREE RINGS FOR ALL 8 CORPS. Well, they aren't exactly free. I mean, read for yourself:

Expect sales on Booster Gold #26, Doom Patrol #4, Adventure Comics #4, R.E.B.E.L.S. #10 and Outsiders #24 to rocket in November. Seriously, each issue could top 100,000 orders or more and see DC dominate the charts with a number of titles that never normally getting the top fifty.

Why? Because sales on these comics, and on Justice League Of America #39 and Blackest Night #5, are tied in to the amount of Lantern Promotion Rings your local comic shop retailer is allowed to order.

The Black Lantern ring giveaway to kick off the Blackest Night event was an immense hit, with demand booming for these chunky stylish collectable black plastic fingerwear, and a call for similar rings to match the different Lantern colours seen in the series went out. And DC listened.

So for every 25 copies of Doom Patrol #4, Booster Gold #26, R.E.B.E.L.S. #10, Outsiders '24 and your retailer orders, they can order a bag of fifty Sinestro rings, Agent Orange rings, Indigo Tribe rings and Star Sapphire rings respectively.

And for every 50 copies of Justice League of America#39, Blackest Night #5 and Adventure Comics #4 sees you with a bag of fifty Red Lantern rings, Green Lantern rings and Blue Lantern rings, also respectively.

Each ring will ship every two weeks, Yellow on November 4th, Orange on November 18th, Red on December 2nd, Green on December 16th, Blue on December 30th (well, December 23rd now, I guess, thanks to Comic Book-Free Day), Indigo on January 13th and Violet on January 27th.

Expect some kind of charge however. Retailers have to order large numbers of comic books, often ones that usually don't sell too well, in order to qualify for the rings. Some retailers may pass that cost on, or ask you to buy the comic in question. Which will probably be a Blackest Night tie in anyway. So it's not really a hardship...

Just don't go in expecting some kind of Free Comic Ring Day. And expect some very odd looking chart statistics for the month of November. R.E.B.E.L.S. in the Top Ten? Could happen. People love these rings. Almost as if they were all Agent Orange operatives...

Sadly, now i need to call up my LCS and make sure i tell him to order MANY copies of books that, haha, I DON'T READ. Well, i will be catching up on Doom Patrol/Metal Men, but everything else besides Blackest Night i don't and won't. I hate to make him order comics for free rings, but i really want these; it's a brilliant idea, but i think they're going about it the wrong way. I like the weekly aspect though. Very well-though-out, for DC Direct; they seem to be banking on the event, and i don't blame them.

Although i don't get the "Blue on December 30th (well, December 23rd now, I guess, thanks to Comic Book-Free Day)" thing. Did i miss something??

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

so... they get twice as many rings as the associated comic, as it were? I'd hope that means a purchase of that comic would guarantee a ring, but its down to the retailer's discretion what the y actually do with the rings? Is that right?

I see... well, quite frankly... i'd like one of each.

didn't a v.similar Green ring come with GLC#1 a while ago? I've been looking at them on ebay

So far I haven't been extremely impressed with the BN add ons (Batman, Superman & Titans).

I think Batman has been the weakest so far, but if you're into BN they're still worth the pickup.

As TwoFace said the last page of Titans sells it by itself along with the art. I had high hopes for the writing since this guy is taking over the Titans run in a few months.

Anyways, having read GL I can say I LOVE IT! Almost no sign of Green Lanterns in the issue (which is kind of funny), but it definetly shows that this book will be the war of light. Cool stuff. Despite my great dislike for Boodika she actually has an interesting dilemna in the book too.

Thanks for the info on the rings Twoface! I hope this works out here... Time to call my retailer...

I just got off the phone with my retailer...

Not gonna happen. :(

BUT I just bought 2 sets on Ebay for $30 a piece!!!! :biggrin:

I've printed the article, and i'll be showing it to my guy Darrell on Wednesday (the first day of school...:(). I figure it'll be easier to talk about in person than over the phone, but i doubt that he doesn't already know. I mean, he ordered plenty to get the Black Lantern rings, and since these are ALL Blackest Night Tie-ins (i checked DC's future cover gallery to be sure) he'll probably assume they'll sell anyway. I just can't beleiev i have to wait until January for my Indigo Tribe ring...

Oh, and i'm trying to go back and read Green Lantern from the start of Geoff's run; do i have the list right??

Rebirth

No Fear

Revenge of the Green Lanterns

Wanted

and then Sinestro Corps. I picked up Rebirth today as well as Revenge, and i already owned No Fear (which i enjoyed a lot), but i just want to be sure for the future. I'd like to have all of the trades by the end of Blackest Night (or i guess i'll be waiting on Agent Orange to hit trade format) so my collection is complete. So do i have this right???

Oh, and i've been thinking; according to Geoff, which we all know, he wrote Green Lantern to be a trilogy. It'd start with Rebirth, hit a climax with the Sinestro Corps War, and then conclude with Blackest Night. Well...what happens after Blackest Night?! Obviously the Black Lanterns will be defeated (or the rest of the DCU is screwed), but then...i'm not sure. I mean, by conclude i guess i'm assuming that Geoff is done with the title (and will probably move to start Flash) and it's laid to rest...until Volume 5?? I'm not sure if i'd willing to read anything GL after this epic ends, but i'd like to think that i'd want to...i just can't imagine anything else happening if it's meant to be a trilogy.

Obviously DC's gonna want to bank on Hal once the movie hits theaters, so we know GL will be back if it ends here, but what are all of your thoughts?? What happens when Night breaks into Day, so to speak??

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I'll say this... if we went through all this just to kill Hal and/or wreck the Corps again... I will be ticked.

I'll say this... if we went through all this just to kill Hal and/or wreck the Corps again... I will be ticked.

Yea, with all of the expectation of seeing Hal hit "White Lantern" status, i just see him ending up with a Black ring in the future instead...something tells me good-ole Highball will be killed and brought back again, just not in the way we think. Or at least, not in the way everyone but me thinks... :confused:

I'm also thinking that something will come into play with Dove (more than just what Titans hints at)...hopefully, and that advance will affect ALL the emotional Corps, all leading up to Green being the "one and only" again...of course, Geoff is pretty good at suprises (until DC and Previews spoils them cough

Nekron

cough), so who knows what's gonna be the turnout.

Yea, with all of the expectation of seeing Hal hit "White Lantern" status, i just see him ending up with a Black ring in the future instead...something tells me good-ole Highball will be killed and brought back again, just not in the way we think. Or at least, not in the way everyone but me thinks... :confused:

We did that already. We've fought evil all powerful Hal, and had him die and come back in a different way a-la the Spectre years. And we just bent continuity into a pretzel knot to explain why it really wasn't Hal who went crazy and murdered the whole Corps and Guardians the first time. To end this trilogy by returning to that same basic status quo would just suck and leave at least this reader with a definite "why did I bother?" feeling. (not unlike the turn of events surrounding Cap's "death")

I know everyone can see the similar things between the black lanterns and the marvel zombies and both are cool in thier own ways if the whole undead thing in comics if you pardon the pun is done to death. I can see both finishing how the other started.

Marvel Zombies started in their own dimension and made their way to the main Marvel earth. I can see a way that the DC Black Lanterns get beaten into one of the new 52 Multiverses and sealed off. I dont think it will happen this way I just find that it seems all comic companies must have a undead/zombie comic out amusing.

I can see a way that the DC Black Lanterns get beaten into one of the new 52 Multiverses and sealed off. I dont think it will happen this way I just find that it seems all comic companies must have a undead/zombie comic out amusing.

Well "Earth 51" (iirc) got blowed up good. That seems as good a place as any.

Do we know what the Indigo tribe's power is? I hope they don't show up and just beat the Black Lanterns. That would be lame.

Yes we do...kinda. From what we know in Tales of the Corps:

Indigo's have 2 main Lantern-specific powers (like Black as dead-rising, blue has Green-charging, Orange has Avatar-Lanterns, etc). They use compassion in a differentway than what you'd think, for one. When a Green Lantern was seen dying in the issue, Indigo (the Leader) came up and knelt beside him. Instead of healing his wounds, she touched him, syphoned his green light, and killed him slowly but painlessly. She took his pain away, but not in the way you'd expect. their OTHER power looks very promising, and another reason i LOVE this Corps: The Green Light she took was absorbed into her Lantern-staff, and when a Sinestro Corpsman attacked, GREEN Light fired from it right at him. When he used his Ring, she absorbed that Yellow Light too. Basically, they seem to be able to take in the Light of the other Corps, have their Rings recognize what emotion it is, and backfire it. They can also change the shape and not just fire a beam, as seen when she turns the Yellow Light into some sort of giant monster.

And this one isn't so secretive and "individual," but for the sake of others, i'll spoiler-tag it anyway:

As i said, they recognize other emotions., MUCH like Black Lanterns...except without "seeing" in emotion. Before they absorb Light, the Ring must identify it. I'm guessing it must process what emotion to use in order to control it, but seeing as how NONE of their faces show ANY emotion, i'm not so sure...

Picked up Batman BN #2 and I'm still not impressed. It seems like they throw their identities around like drunks. I mean, Gordon still doesn't know all this stuff, why are they saying in front of him? :blink:

As for the new Green Lantern Corps... It's really good. Salaak has always been a character I go out of my way to make fun of (See my minimates movies) but he probably has the best scene in the issue. Pick it up. :biggrin:

Hole. Ee. Shit. Blackest Night #3=my mind BLOWN AWAY. I WILL NOT spoil anything until a few days so i can be sure others have read it too, to be fair to everyone, but that was incredible. Not exactly Geoff's best writing ever (kinda rambled a bit; i'll say where later), but it was AMAZING...i just stopped breathing half of the way through, i was so awe-struck. Never read a greater comic in my life.

Thank you so much, Mr. Johns.