UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Why such few female villains?

Brinen

There's not that many female villain minimates out there in the Marvel section... Mystique and Lady Deathstrike are the only ones that comes to mind, and they're X-Villains. Where's Enchantress or Viper or Titania? The Secret Wars poll would've been the perfect opportunity to include Titania or Volcana, but instead we get more variants of the Thing and Storm?

And I doubt it's because fans don't know many female villains, since how many know who Jewel is? Or Silver Sable? What is everyone's thoughts on the current condition of villainesses in the minimate series?

My major wants for female villains as minimates are:

• Enchantress
  • Titania
  • Volcana
  • Diamondback
  • Anaconda
  • Black Mamba
  • Vapor
  • Madame Masque
  • Screaming Mimi
  • Typhoid Mary
  • White Rabbit

You shouldn't forget the amazing Gamora we got with wave 23 and the upcoming Moonstone packed with Bullseye.

But you are - of course - right. I have the feeling that things are gonna change a little; towards more "obscure" characters and with that to more female characters as well. I guess it's just a question of time we'll maybe see at least a few of your mentioned women. But the main problem might be that the number of female characters in the Marvel Minimates line is pretty neglected. (I don't have the time nerves to check it, but browsing through the Database might support that assumption.

And I'd love to add Sin to your list!

Oh, and welcome to the Multieverse!

There's not that many female villain minimates out there in the Marvel section... Mystique and Lady Deathstrike are the only ones that comes to mind, and they're X-Villains. Where's Enchantress or Viper or Titania? The Secret Wars poll would've been the perfect opportunity to include Titania or Volcana, but instead we get more variants of the Thing and Storm?

And I doubt it's because fans don't know many female villains, since how many know who Jewel is? Or Silver Sable? What is everyone's thoughts on the current condition of villainesses in the minimate series?

• Enchantress
  • Titania
  • Volcana
  • Diamondback
  • Anaconda
  • Black Mamba
  • Vapor
  • Madame Masque
  • Screaming Mimi
  • Typhoid Mary
  • White Rabbit

Most of those characters are pretty obscure. Your only possible sure thing will probably be Typhoid Mary.

Been messing around with Cappy's crazy-thorough Excel table for Minimate releases, and here's something interesting:

673 released Minimates

118 released female Minimates

290 released Marvel Minimates

45 released female Marvel Minimates

Food for thought, huh?

Yours is part of a wider question. Not "Why are there so few female minimate villains" or "Why are there so few black minimates?" but rather the question should be "why are there so few blacks and females (and even few female villains) in general"

I propose that your beef isn't with DST, but with comics in general.

Been messing around with Cappy's crazy-thorough Excel table for Minimate releases, and here's something interesting:

673 released Minimates

118 released female Minimates

290 released Marvel Minimates

45 released female Marvel Minimates

Food for thought, huh?

and out of the 45 female marvel minimates,how many are villains?

Here's the list of female Marvel characters:

Wasp (first appearance)

Valkyrie

Invisible Woman (phasing)

Storm (classic)

Jewel

Phoenix

Wasp Zombie

Mary Jane (capris)

Dark Phoenix

Mariko

Silver Fox

Elektra

Elektra (black)

Jean Grey (Ultimate)

Storm (Ultimate)

Gwen Stacy (green coat)

Phoenix (New X-Men)

Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman (invisible)

Lady Deathstrike

White Queen

White Queen (diamond)

Black Cat

Silver Sable

Spider-Woman

Spider-Woman II

Firestar

Mystique

Rogue

Emma Frost (Astnsh X-Men)

Kitty Pryde (Astnsh X-Men)

Jean Grey (X3)

Phoenix (X3)

Storm (X3)

Scarlet Witch

She-Hulk

Gwen Stacy (brown skirt)

Mary Jane (dark green dress)

Ms Marvel

Polaris

Pepper Potts

Betty Ross

Dagger

Gamora

Spider-Woman (angry)

Yes, the female villains are few and between. However I have to say that clayface's question is more of a moot point since the Marvel line has a shortage of villains period, male or female.

• Enchantress
  • Titania
  • Volcana
  • Diamondback
  • Anaconda
  • Black Mamba
  • Vapor
  • Madame Masque
  • Screaming Mimi
  • Typhoid Mary
  • White Rabbit

Most of those characters are pretty obscure. Your only possible sure thing will probably be Typhoid Mary.

I wouldn't call Enchantress obscure, since she's pretty much Marvel's first female villain.

Titania is no more obscure Gamora, and she's definitely less obscure than Spymaster.

Whilst I agree their are few female villains I am staggered that their are so few African-American Marvel minimate characters. Perhaps there aren't that many Marvel characters to choose from but I thought of at least a dozen or so whilst I was typing this.

I agree! I'm hoping the Secret Wars poll will give Captain Marvel/Photon her own figure finally!

Yours is part of a wider question. Not "Why are there so few female minimate villains" or "Why are there so few black minimates?" but rather the question should be "why are there so few blacks and females (and even few female villains) in general"

I dunno, I could name 100+ female villains that could be given Minimates, many of whom aren't any more or less obscure than Spymaster, Tarantula, Gamora, or Shocker. :)

Because many characters were created by white males, simple as that.

I dunno, I could name 100+ female villains that could be given Minimates, many of whom aren't any more or less obscure than Spymaster, Tarantula, Gamora, or Shocker. :)

Are any of them Spider-man or Iron Man villains? Or starring in a current comic? I'm sure we could all name a ton of characters that are no more obscure than Spymaster or, say, Hydro-man, but ultimately there's a reason why some of those characters got picked over others.

That being said, I'd love an Enchantress / Executioner pack, and I'll pick up just about any obscure characters to increase the chances of the ones I'm really interested in being made.

• Enchantress
  • Titania
  • Volcana
  • Diamondback
  • Anaconda
  • Black Mamba
  • Vapor
  • Madame Masque
  • Screaming Mimi
  • Typhoid Mary
  • White Rabbit

I dont think Enchantress is all that obscure. As a matter of fact I'd say she is absolutely essential. This list is pretty much the "A list" of female Marvel villains.

Are any of them Spider-man or Iron Man villains? Or starring in a current comic? I'm sure we could all name a ton of characters that are no more obscure than Spymaster or, say, Hydro-man, but ultimately there's a reason why some of those characters got picked over others.

That being said, I'd love an Enchantress / Executioner pack, and I'll pick up just about any obscure characters to increase the chances of the ones I'm really interested in being made.

Sure: Madame Masque (who is being used currently in a big way) is an Iron Man villain. White Rabbit (also being used) is appearing in both Dark Reign: Mister Negative and will be appearing in the main Spidey series in the upcoming issues. There's also Calypso (would work great with a Kraven 2-pack), who is pretty iconic. Titania is probably the most prominent of street-level female villains and is a longtime Spidey foe. I'm still shocked she nor Volcana were options in the Secret Wars poll, since they both played large roles.

Maybe a Thor-themed four pack will be released one day with Enchantress & Executioner. And maybe She-Loki!

Narrowing Northraider's list, I count 6 villains:

Dark Phoenix

Lady Deathstrike

White Queen/White Queen (diamond)

Mystique

Silver Sable

Gamora

2 I'd consider in-between-kinda-sorta villains:

Elektra/Elektra (black)

Black Cat

and 3 have-worked-as villains:

Spider-Woman II

Firestar

Scarlet Witch

But yeah, as people have said, few women + few villains = few women villains.

I know this is the Marvel section but in DC we have Star Sapphire, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and whatsherface from The Spirit. We're also getting a couple in Ghostbusters, and I guess you can count T-1000 as Sarah Connor during the final battle ;D

If we're counting current/upcoming releases as well, there's Moonstone, Ms. Marvel-Moonstone, Psylocke (isn't she a slave of the Sisterhood of Mutants right now?)... and if you want to backtrack, wasn't Jen Yu from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a villain of sorts as well? Not to mention Cheetah from DC...

Psylocke (isn't she a slave of the Sisterhood of Mutants right now?)

Was, as of last issue.

I so agree with this. Marvel makes incredible female characters, most of which are villains or used-to-be villains, and we hardly have enough to put a dent in the male ratio. This is just depressing. Hopefully DST will take this time, with such big events in Marvel coming up, to release a few we need. And not even just villains either. What about:

Sharon Carter

Maria Hill

"New Bucky"

Sin

Kate Bishop

Stature

Coat of Arms (WANT!!)

Updated Electra

Madelynne Pryor

Dark X-men Emma

Dark X-men Dagger

Sisterhood Mutants

Domino

Female Loki

And those are JUST from new/upcoming events!! What about:

Callisto

Titania

Mystique Update

Viper/Madame HYDRA

Selene

Vertigo

Madame Masque

Deathbird

Cassandra Nova

Typhoid Mary

Enchantress

Shriek

Yelena Belova (WANT!!)

To name a few. <_<

In mainstream lines female characters, whether heroes or villains, are generally the peg warmers so they generally make up lower numbers per case and wave, of course Marvel Minimates are (or at least pre-TRU revival were) generally focused more towards the specialty market but DST have also tried to follow the same "rules" (chase figures, repeatrepeatrepeat your A-listers).

Kind of a pity, as I'd definitely kill for a Titania for my Shulkie to pulp :)

In mainstream lines female characters, whether heroes or villains, are generally the peg warmers so they generally make up lower numbers per case and wave, of course Marvel Minimates are (or at least pre-TRU revival were) generally focused more towards the specialty market but DST have also tried to follow the same "rules" (chase figures, repeatrepeatrepeat your A-listers).

Kind of a pity, as I'd definitely kill for a Titania for my Shulkie to pulp :)

So that must be why there's only one pack of Moonstone/Bullseye per case :<

Duh...

Don't you know that DST wont publish felmale characters after the big outcry about underpants?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to give female minimates undergarments...

T.

Ska'ar doesn't have underpants, though Rulk does and no one is complaining XD

So that must be why there's only one pack of Moonstone/Bullseye per case :<

Perhaps, but even Silver Fox seems to be more frequent than Moonstone, so not hard and fast thing when TRU or any retailer exclusives are concerned :)