Danny

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Don't mind this post, but it's for a pretty neat reason.

Believe it or not, I actually made good on my promise on "testing the average theory" on the MMC review scores. I just started tonight, and so far I've just gone up to the Marvel boxsets/exclusives scores from Tower Records Silver Surfer all the way up to Secret Wars. I'll be working on the LCS waves next, then it'll be DC, Star Trek, BSG... I've got my work cut out for me :confused:

Oh, if anyone's curious about the total average score for the Marvel boxsets/exclusives so far:

A comment of the Wall Dioramas. I found my very difficult to put together. The wall is very non-sturdy, even with steal putty and super glue. I think that's just the nature of the beast. Also, the foot pegs are VERY tight. So much so that I tore the wall off when trying to force a foot into them. The I dropped it and it came apart again.

On the plus side, you can put these things together however you want. The pieces themselves are also very sturdy, and have a great play value. i would have preferred to see some snap on pieces, but we're not there yet. Aside from those points I have nothing but praise for Luke and this set. I love mine very much! (once I get it put back togfether)

As I said in the review, I did find them hard to glue together initially. I added more and more glue cos they didn't seem to want to stick together at all. In the end I just left them and gravity did the rest.

I'm back with more statistical goodness! (I think I'm starting to sound like Ivan.)

Assuming I got everything right, as of right now the average score for all official Minimate product (including vehicles and excluding the promo mates which weren't given a score) is...

So I'm guessing this means DST had really stepped up their game?

Some of the more interesting figures I've gotten so far:

Marvel -

DC -

Trek -

BSG -

I'm still tinkering with MS Excel a bit, hopefully the file I have right now would be a bit easier to navigate. I should've paid more attention in Basic Computer class :P

I hope you're kidding, karamazov.

Average - 7.0

Median - 7.0

Mode - 7

Standard deviation - 1.675942728

I'm actually a little rusty with my statistics, so I've forgotten what the standard deviation stands for. But to me the Mode is the more interesting figure, in layman's terms it means that 7 is the most commonly-given score on MMC. (I think.)

Not kidding. I tend to prefer median over the mean because it isn't skewed by outlier scores (10s and 1s). That's why income data is almost always reported as a median instead of the mean. Otherwise, those with no incomes or those with ridiculously high incomes (depending on your sample) could skew your numbers, giving you something that doesn't make intuitive sense as a representation of the "typical" income. The standard deviation gives you an idea of the dispersion of scores across a sample. So, if you have standard deviations for each of those sub-groups, you can tell which are more uniform versus those that are more variable.

Just some basic values that I think provides the viewer with a better overall feel for the data. The median is the exact "middle" score across a distribution, by the way. Mean values can become skewed because they are calculated as the sum total of observed values divided by the sample size.

Edited by karamazov80

Ah, cool. Perhaps I can work something out with a little more tinkering. (And it only just occured to me that I could've saved myself a LOT more time and effort if I had used Cappy's Minimate checklist from the very beginning. D'oh!)

And thanks for the quick refresher karamazov! Wow, I sure miss Statistics class. :D

Just remember 62% of all statistics quoted are made up on the spot.

:P

So, am I soft on scores? Or just reviewing Minimates I like?

Thanks for your work on this NR, it's very interesting. It doesn't surprise me that 7 is the mark given most commonly. In that case, 7 really is the baseline.

I think you answered your question in a previous post, Danny. If a boring civilian can get something approaching a 5, then the average is going to be higher because most Minimates aren't boring civilians. Which is a very good thing, in my opinion :)

By the way Northraider, I can imagine the effort it took to go through and to pull that information into a spreadsheet, and appreciate your doing it and sharing that information with the community.

By the way Northraider, I can imagine the effort it took to go through and to pull that information into a spreadsheet, and appreciate your doing it and sharing that information with the community.

I'm fairly impressed .....7 out of 10 for effort ;)

If a boring civilian can get something approaching a 5.......

Groundhog ?

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the Wave 25 reviews are now up and running :)

On Bucky-Cap's hairpiece: Fairly sure that sculpt was first used on one of the Tonys from Wave 21 (the first Iron Man movie wave). If I had to make a quick guess, I'd say it was the hairpiece that came with the Mark III armor.

And on Danny's point about the Defenders Hulk being a could-have-been better base from which to design newer big-bodied Minimates, I can't help but agree. I think that Defenders Hulk worked really well aesthetically because of his powerhouse chest, which was designed to reflect the cubic shape of the Minimate chest block rather than emulate "human" musculature with all the weird fiddly bits like sculpted pecs, waist extenders and shoulder pads.

Sadly I have a feeling this "dream" may well be dashed now. It seems that since the onset of the newer Marvel waves DST have really stuck their guns to incorporating some sort of sculpted "realism" to Minimate body structure... for better or worse :blink:

EDIT: Red Skull & Bucky Cap .

Wave 25 was the wave that caught me out completely . I never pre-ordered this wave ....I DID pre-order.... but from Cornerstorecomics....which amounted to the same thing ultimately :D & searching forBolt Face completely over-shadowed the arrival of what I feel are two of the best Minimates ever. Neither is perfect,both are flawed,but as a pair they are destined to become the all-time biggest 'sleepers' .....that is until people wake up. I want to review my guide price to reflect what I know they are worth but they still sell for way below that figure ....so I can't :(

Brilliant review & 100% spot on IMO.

Edited by buttheadsmate

NR, I haven't actually opened my wave 21 stuff yet (for shame) but on checking Minimate Database (such a fantastic resource, can't praise it enough!), you are absolutely right. It's Mark III Iron Man hairpiece.

BHM, you're talking about the Cap/Red Skull set right? Loved 'em both from the moment I opened them.

How are you guys liking the action shots in these wave 25 reviews? I tried hard with them :)

How are you guys liking the action shots in these wave 25 reviews? I tried hard with them :)

Heh heh heh, I actually quite liked the parallelism in the Skaar versus Valkyrie picture :D

By all means keep them up Danny! Nowadays I really think that with all our talk about collector completism and availability lately, we seem to have forgotten to take Minimates as actual toys we can play and mess around with. Heck, it feels like ages since I've played with mine :( I guess I finally have time to catch up now that I have a free (read: unemployed) summer ahead of me...

Well said 'raider . I can recognise myself as 'he that talks about price & rarity way too much' but believe you me I have a fair bit of fun with mine as well & Danny's pictures are great . The reason I perhaps dwell so much with availability & cost is to help people wade through the minefield of 'collecting Minimates' ......it is a minefield otherwise we'd all have nothing on our Want list & wouldn't be collecting them. Regards 'completism' I do my absolute best to ridicule it despite my own affliction :(

I think a lot of people like seeing the actual Minimates (front and back etc) and obviously people always want to know "what's under the chest piece?" and things like that. But I also like to show them in action, especially if it's a hero vs villain set (my favourite kind of set).