MMC Reviews Discussion

Danny

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strangely enough so am I :yes: TM2 has that knack of saying what he is thinking rather than saying what he ought say.....which is refreshing although occasionally infuriating. The mods here just love him :whistling:

I continue to read the reviews & continue to enjoy them .....although Danny's new love for the Black Spider-Woman is not shared by me......we can't all agree I guess. The best thing about the new one is the hair & the fact that the original's value (in the eyes of one ebay seller anyway)has fallen out of bed.....be quick! ;)

Reviewing must be very rewarding but I guess you need thick-skin ....hence I'd be useless ....again.

I remember the original Iceman review mentioning that it's a bad thing Bobby doesn't come with back muscles, but the recently released ones, Silver Age and X Factor do not as well. Would this be a mitigating factor to raise the original's scores (original clear, Frosted and blue) or is that still something to complain about? XD

Depends on who reviews them hehe!

For me, characters who are bare-torso'd should have detailing on the back. Minimates like Kraven even have it when their torso is covered, so there's really no excuse.

The Blackhawk & Sgt.Rock that Rad has just reviewed are the singularly most prolific DC set that I own. I love this set &, just like Rad ,I have little knowledge of the actual characters but when these were released I pigged out on them purely because I thought they were so 'off the wall' . Thanks to the MMC guys for finishing off these DC reviews I,like many here, appreciate it....DC 'mates may be gone but they're not forgotten.

Wow! I really need to buy a Thesaurus. I can't believe how many times I used the word 'very' in the Blackhawk review.

It's very... Very! Sorry about that peeps. Oh and BHM, cheers for the kind words mate. We're trying. Some would say very trying. ;)

I could tell you a little about them if you'd like. I hesitate because last time I did unsolicited about a MMC review, I think some folks may have seen it as saying I didn't think Danny and Co were doing a good job. Quite the opposite. I have always found MMC a valuable resource long before I got 'serious' about this aspect of my collecting.

I could tell you a little about them if you'd like. I hesitate because last time I did unsolicited about a MMC review, I think some folks may have seen it as saying I didn't think Danny and Co were doing a good job. Quite the opposite. I have always found MMC a valuable resource long before I got 'serious' about this aspect of my collecting.

IF you don't mind... I would like a bit of a Mirypedia overview. :)

I genuinely find your potted histories fascinating & would be up for an account of Blackhawk & Sgt.Rock . I shall be hugely disappointed if Blackhawk isn't actually gay ..........like Sgt.Rock :D

I just can't help myself can I :blush: Seriously I enjoy your resumes Miry .

Okay then...

Frank Rock holds the distinction of being the longest running WWII pure war comic period. Starting in the late 50's, and running through the early 90's Sgt. Rock and the combat happy Joes of Easy company fought the Axis hordes. For most of his long run, Rock was barely in the DCU. Barely any super baddies, little comics tech, just battle hardened soldiers shootin' Nazis, and occasionally Japanese. On very rare occasions, they'd have the JSA (both E2 and New E) cross paths. In some way's Rock is DC's Nick Fury. But where as Nick was always an eager fighter, Rock is battle weary and tired. Not that that stops him, but Frank takes no joy in war, unlike say Bucky. Rock may or may not have survived to the present day. Someone calling himself Frank Rock served as President Luthor's Chief of Staff and Suicide Squad, but he may have been an impostor. The character's creators strongly disagree with the idea of Frank having survived the war.

The Blackhawks predate pearl harbor in publication. The hook with this group of pilots mostly came from countries invaded by the Nazi's. Their leader, who for most of his history was known only as Blackhawk, was polish. There were two Americans add to the group after the US entered the war, Chuck from Texas and Lady Blackhawk, but there were French, Russian, Dutch, and Danish members. They had no superpowers, just amazing pilots (and since it was the 40's whatever else they needed to be). Most of the team were the worst of 1940's stereotypes. Including their Chinese sidekick Chop Chop. They operated very advanced fighter craft from Blackhawk island. Now even though it's a decade older, it's hard to call the Blackhawks a 'war' comic for a large part of it's history. Where as Sgt. Rock stuck to the basics, the Blackhawks got stranger and stranger. War Wheels, mechanical sharks, reinvention as sci-fi alien/giant robot fighters in the 50's, reinvention yet again as actual costumed superheroes in the 60's, and finally back to pilots of more advanced super fighter jets. They were published on and off until the 90's and were retconned more times than you can count. BUT in it's original form, the Blackhawks were very, very popular in the 40's and 50's. They had a radio show, a movie serial in the early 50's. And sorry, he's not gay.

So in a nutshell, the set represents DC's two most popular 'war heroes'.

Cheers for that Mirymate. I still can't understand why DCD went with them, even though they're cool looking minimates.

Both characters have a strong following, and their unique looks certainly stood out among the brightly colored spandex that is most of the DCU. That said, I think they over estimated the strength of that following as compared to other folks they could have put in that slot. Like I dunno, Black Canary and the Atom, Black Adam and Junior, or GA Green Lantern and Grundy just to name a few.

I guess it's a DC liscense thing. They start making these odd character choices, then the line just ends about 2 waves too soon. Like my much beloved Super Powers.

In my humble opinion, Black Hawk/Rock was a fantastic choice, particularly compared with Question and Batwoman, Commie Superman and Wonder Woman, Battle damaged Wonder Woman and creature Cheetah, and Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E.

I think this is one (rare) instance where the iconic nature of the characters makes up for their relatively dull looks. Of course, a much better selection would have been nearly any two golden age JSAers or Teen Titans, because you get the iconic character in conjunction with the bright colors, which equals a Minimate success.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed, in looking at an issue with Phoenix for another thread, that I incorrectly listed "Secret Invasion" Phoenix as the 3rd Phoenix release (after X3 and the SDCC exclusive). When in fact, it appears that the Ultimates version was also called "Phoenix" and not "Jean Grey" on the box.

Perhaps a minor issue, but one that I noticed. . .

I try never to pass judgment on any minimate these days although I obviously value my own opinion above all others :lol: Seeing as I'm amongst friends ......I thought that the Secret Invasion set was the worst I'd ever seen & although I've warmed to it.....it won't be a classic ...in my opinion. I have realised of late that 'my opinion' regards SI Phoenix is so 'off field' ....I could be wrong ....& most love it. Let me just say I'm fine with that & it's great we can't all agree ;)

I'm not generally up to date with ....er....anything comic-wise but I was when SI was contemporary & I was 'banging on' here about DST missing the boat & not producing it. I remember the anticipation of seeing the characters that I'd seen feature heavily in the mountain of comics I had read only to be disappointed by the 4 characters DST announced....none of them featured heavily...or at all...in SI. I put up with that only to see innovations like reversable heads being poorly executed & killing the idea for the foreseeable future . Quality-wise SI is legendarily ...bad.

Making matters worse Super-Skrull is one of my favourite Minimates & I wanted this set to give Skrulls to (me & ) the masses........'fail' again.

Want more Sam....???

As I've said these grew on me .......... it could have great :(

Want more Sam....???

Yes, your argument is woefully insufficient. :angry:

I do see what you are saying, in that it "fails" on a number of fronts. I am still a bit miffed that they chose the Jewel person over Mockingbird (who apparently was just as important as anyone released to the story), but then, the quality issues (Beast's head, Phoenix's boots, Wolvie's mask) were such that it might be best to wait when the chances of a higher-quality 'bird would be better.

Edited by karamazov80

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, and you guys were discussing this very thing here, so:

The missing black line isn't a huge issue for me. I wouldn't waste a spot in a wave on re-issuing her just to have outlines added. And all the images i've seen of her show that her boots and gloves to raise to a high point on the fronts.

Like i said, 'pretty' perfect. maybe not 100%, but i'm happy with her & don't need this costume re-issued.

Therein lies my qualm with the SI set. To me, that costume is THE Jean Grey costume, and the Beast's look that came with the set is THE Beast. But their release as part of that set pretty much negates those looks ever showing up again as non-Skrulls. Which to me just sucks... hard.

On the other end of the spectrum, my kids love it for the extra Skrull heads and the switchable faces, and all in all it's among their favorite sets to play with.

Now... just to 100% clarify, though I love how you did the Bizzaro review, and I know he speaks in backward talk, but that 1/10 is actually a 10/10 right? Or was the score in human speech?

If it was in human, I honestly don't think Bizzaro was that bad. I liked him.

If it was in Bizzaro tongue, yeah.

Oh look, a new review is up! B)

I really quite like Supergirl, she's one of my favorite mates in the whole DC Direct line. Your review of her still seems to have a paragraph leftover from the Stargirl review though, just thought I'd point that out.

As for the "Bizarro" Bizarro review: pretty funny, Rad. :lol:

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the Stargirl copy and paste shambles! Serves me right for uploading it in a rush!

I'm sure the Bizarro score is not actually a 1/10, I will check with Rad to see what he would actually give it.