Danny

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

About your Transformation Venom review - the first chest piece you mention is a motorcycle jacket. It's taken from a couple of panels from the Amazing Spider-Man comic where Eddie had the costume appear as street clothes to taunt Peter.

And if you look at the photos for the unreleased Ghost Rider wave, you'll see that the jacket was originally supposed to be for Johnny Blaze.

And if you look at the photos for the unreleased Ghost Rider wave, you'll see that the jacket was originally supposed to be for Johnny Blaze.

TransVenom3.jpgDC71882Alg.jpg

Wow, looks like boyd was right. Check out the jacket on Evel Knievel Johnny Blaze.

Nice to know some of the new tooling from that unreleased wave didn't go to waste.

About your Transformation Venom review - the first chest piece you mention is a motorcycle jacket. It's taken from a couple of panels from the Amazing Spider-Man comic where Eddie had the costume appear as street clothes to taunt Peter.

I think it needs something on the back though, either a second spider symbol or something. A challenge prehaps for some of our talented decal designers to come up with something for the back of Eddie's jacket.

I've just read K80's review of Secret Invasion & I have to say that it was spot on.......which is amazing! Amazing because I was an advocate of this set & questioned why we weren't getting it when it was 'current'comic-wise .When it arrived I was disappointed to say the least when the choice of characters was announced. I still maintain that the characters we were given never reflected the comic-series 'I read' & this influenced my complete dissatisfaction with the box-set . K80's reviews reflect his opinion of the 'mates which on reflection weren't as awful in the flesh as I once feared having just seen the early pics. The Skrull- heads still suck however & I have to say this could have been a classic.....it wasn't....

........ but I have learned to like them....like them. ;) Nice one Sam :)

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 4 weeks later...
Not to nitpick, but Rad:

The collar to Ilia (in yer Trek review) isn't in fact Star Sapphire's. Her's is small and angular, while Ilia's is raised to around-the-head and circular.

Just to clarify. ;)

You're 100% right. I wrote the review first and then went and checked the Star Sapphire 'mate to verify.

I must have gotten sidetracked by my wife/son/cat/left foot on my way back to the computer and completely forgot to update the review. Mea Culpa. I'll ask Danny to correct it. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

• 1 month later...

From the TRU Bullseye/Moonstone review:

The Dagger comparison is apt, as Moonstone is a similarly superhero-proportioned blonde in a tight, white costume. The hair, thankfully, isn't another re-use of New X-Men Jean's. I can't quite place it due to my advancing old age but I assume it's a re-use from somewhere.

I'll help you out Danny; the hairpiece is a reuse of Jewel's from Secret Invasion (it was also used on X-Factor Jean Grey) :)

And it's cool I'm not the only one who noticed the Moonstone/Dagger likeness... I wonder if they ever faced off against each other in the comics?

Edited by NorthRaider

How about BIB Spidey's hairpiece? That was one I didn't recognise either.

It was a lot easier in the old days when every male hairpiece was either a Juggernaut/Mr Fantastic reuse and every female hairpiece was a New X-Men Jean Grey reuse :D

BIB Spidey's hairpiece is from Marty Mcfly, the enchantment under the sea 2pk

Couple of quick notes on the Molecule Man, Danny. (aren't you glad I can just post here now instead of filling your e-mail box with these?) The zig-zags on his face are supposed to be scars stemming from the accident that empowered him. Molecule Man's costume is pure 60's Jack Kirby, as MM is an early FF villain, not a product of the 80's. Doesn't make it less silly or ridiculous. Being a creative genius doesn't mean every design's a winner. So Owen there is for Fantastic Four fans, Kirby completeists, and Secret Wars fans.

Thanks to Joey for the BIB hairpiece confirmation.

And Miry, thanks for the background info on Molecule Man.

I love the reviews by the guys at OAFE, but they are much longer and detailed, leading off with bios and a full history of the character. To be brutally honest, I'm too lazy to do much research and usually, if I've bought a Minimate, it's cos I like it. More obscure characters though, I do struggle with writing about as really all I have is the Minimate itself, rather than being able to talk about a representation of a character I like.