UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MMC Reviews Discussion

Danny

I thought the review was spot on .My opinion is probably influenced by the fact that I never could relate to the character himself. The DST version was way way way off the mark & begs the question " Where the hell were T'Ching Ching's white patches " ??????

He could also have benefited from his famous vibrating bamboo stick accessory IMO.

It's been a long time since I've read #1 ...... "He that eats leaves & sh*ts" ......but DST's version of the Black Panda looks nothing like the guy I remember .

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't read the review at work, but agree that the figure was a huge let-down. A major problem that sticks out was the huge mask piece. Didn't work for me, and if you want the "classic" look by taking the other stuff off, he looks like a bobble head doll.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 months later...

Just a for-the-record thing, with the "Classic Iron Man baddie and Modern Iron Man" comment in the latest review, that was the theme of the wave: Classic and "Modern":

Cable/X-23 (Classics/Modern X-force)

Titanium/Extremis (Classic/Modern IM Characters)

Goliath/Yellowjacket (Classic/Modern Hank Pym)

Great review nonetheless!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

oh wow. I hadn't realised that. Was the theme intended by AA/DST to be a Classics/Modern wave? Was it advertised as such? or is it mearly an amusing coincidence?

I thought your Cable/X-23 review was spot on! such a great Cable . . . such a 'meh' X-23.

Someone on the boards here (forgive me for not remember whom) mentioned that you can invert Goliaths belt to make him a little taller if you don't like using the 'duck feet' - which, if the review is anything to go be, you don't :P .

Edited by Nessex

oh wow. I hadn't realised that. Was the theme intended by AA/DST to be a Classics/Modern wave? Was it advertised as such? or is it mearly an amusing coincidence?

I thought your Cable/X-23 review was spot on! such a great Cable . . . such a 'meh' X-23.

Someone on the boards here (forgive me for not remember whom) mentioned that you can invert Goliaths belt to make him a little taller if you don't like using the 'duck feet' - which, if the review is anything to go be, you don't :P .

it was Turtle... I've got to look this sort of stuff up!

Good tip! Thanks for passing that on Nessex.

• 1 month later...

I think the Black Queen Jean/Hellfire Guard review is pretty spot-on.

I think Jean could have been a 9/10 character, but it would have required a new whip & to have the rose sculpted onto her cape as well (essentially, a new cape).

Still - considering Jean was only the Black Queen for what? 4 or 5 issues? I think they did a pretty bang-up job.

Thanks for the comments Nessex, it's actually my first review in a while so I'm glad you liked it.

I was on the fence with both scores as they seemed a smidge low for the actual text but decided to err on the side of caution.

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews this week!

To answer your question, the hairpiece for Selene has been used before. It was used for the TRU exclusive Betsy Braddock figure. Not exactly accurate for Selene who usually has long straight hair to her waist, but this one is the longest one that works with the cloak.

I could have sworn Selene's hairpiece was first used on Gamora in wave 23, though the prototype pic on the box looks more like Silver Fox hair. I dunno, we've had so many releases in the past year it's hard to keep track of everything anymore! :D

Not exactly accurate for Selene who usually has long straight hair to her waist, but this one is the longest one that works with the cloak.

Yeah - if it had fit, i think i'd have gone with the piece used on X-23. But, as you say, it probably wouldn't fit with the Cloak.

Thanks for the hairpiece clarification! Visually it's hard to identify so many different ones that exist these days.

Glad people liked the reviews. I may have been a little biased with them as the 90s X-Men are "my" X-Men but ones like Rogue really are streets ahead of their inital appearances.

Also curious to know if people think I was too harsh on 90s Jean Grey?

Maybe a little but not much. I might have upped her to a 5. But after reading your review I have to agree. I never noticed how bad she was. The thing that bugs me the most is how top heavy she is. The face and chest block are super busy, while her legs are nothing.

I may not have given her a 4, but I certainly agree with your assessment about the head looking enormous due to the hair piece (the same problem I have with most of the Thor mates) and the detailing is too intense in her face and the entirety of her chest block.

I had never thought about the bracelets adding to the bulk, but when I took them off, I realized that paint would have been the better way to go.

After reading your review, it gave me ideas on how to tweak it:

Jean.jpg

I switched out the head with wave 6's Jean figure (and added the detailing for the mask)

I trimmed the shoulder pads down to just the shoulder parts, and glued them on so that she could have head mobility (and to show the neck, adding to a more slender look)

and I altered the detailing on the chest block (via photoshop, for now, since painting would take me forever and I wanted to see how it would look before doing all the work)

and I took the bracelets off and painted the wrists.

I'm less confident about any detail work I might add to the legs. I don't know if adding anything to it would help...

Overall, it's not enough to prop it up to a 10, but it's better than a 4 or 5 (imo, at least)

Nice Effort, Donny B!

I might buy another Jean from my LCS to give that a try too.

RE: The legs, i think most people were just a bit bummed that she didn't come with the little squares of padding (or whatever it was) on the outsides of her legs. I think it's help balance her out a bit and make her less top-heavy.

EDIT: On reading Jean's review - i did get my back up a bit, thinking it was a bit harsh. But i think that was more because i love the Character, not the figure.

Edited by Nessex

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jan 17 2011, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may not have given her a 4, but I certainly agree with your assessment about the head looking enormous due to the hair piece (the same problem I have with most of the Thor mates) and the detailing is too intense in her face and the entirety of her chest block.

I had never thought about the bracelets adding to the bulk, but when I took them off, I realized that paint would have been the better way to go.

After reading your review, it gave me ideas on how to tweak it:

Jean.jpg

I switched out the head with wave 6's Jean figure (and added the detailing for the mask)

I trimmed the shoulder pads down to just the shoulder parts, and glued them on so that she could have head mobility (and to show the neck, adding to a more slender look)

and I altered the detailing on the chest block (via photoshop, for now, since painting would take me forever and I wanted to see how it would look before doing all the work)

and I took the bracelets off and painted the wrists.

I'm less confident about any detail work I might add to the legs. I don't know if adding anything to it would help...

Overall, it's not enough to prop it up to a 10, but it's better than a 4 or 5 (imo, at least)

That looks so much better. I think the prototype pics of Jean added to the disappointment of the finished mate. I painted the crotch piece of mine and added decals of the pockets to the sides of her legs. I think I may add your modifications to my own.

post-1790-1295306257_thumb.jpg

Hmm. I thought maybe you were a little hard on Wasp until I remembered all the people ripping her wings off. >.< It's not a bad figure or paint job (heck, you gave Hank higher marks for that alone) but the QC issues maybe should have knocked her down another star.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Yeah - i think i'd have gone a 6 on the Wasp - just for all the bonus parts. I've never had much trouble with the wings, but maybe i'm in the minority. I agree with everything else though.

but then - i might have gone as low as 4 on hulk. I kinda like the head-sculpt, but i really didn't care for the figure.

Another good review. I atotally agree about Jeans Face. Although - to be honest - i find a lot of the female faces on minimates are a bit 'meh'.

I LOVED that we got a reversible head with Rachel Summers/Phoenix II! It's so nice to have females that aren't smiling or pouting!

One small thing: The hair Jean is wearing in the review is actually her hair from the Secret Invasion boxed set. The hair that came with the X-Factor set was a red version of the Moonstone hairpiece (although, i'm not sure where it first appeared).

Keep up the good work guys. I love checking the reviews over at MMCentral.