UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What would you pay for a Numbered Gold/Silver spidey?

To my knowledge it's been over a year since a genuine numbered gold/silver minimate has been up for sale it seems they have found their way into hardcore collectors hands and are not seen often if at all and I'm wondering what you guys think they are worth these days?

I know that a few unbagged or unnumbered gold/silver have been around but those do not have the pedigree or rarity of the XXof50 gold and silvers that were given away at SDCC a few years back.

So I guess the question is what do you think they are worth or would sell for in the current market?

T.

p.s. yes there is a slight element of mercenary research about my post in that I am broke right now and although I dont want to part with them I need money for bills more than minimates right now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real sorry to hear you having financial troubles TBT. :(

If I remembered correctly, the most expensive a numbered Gold Spidey has ever gone for was about $300 on eBay, right? And some are saying the Silvers might even be more scarce than the Golds?

(Disclaimer: I wasn't a collector yet when the first Gold/Silver Spideys came out so my opinion might count for nil.)

I think the best (and obvious) option is for the price to strike a balance between the $300 mark and whatever any regular collector might prefer to pay for such a rare Minimate. Personally I already consider $11 for a single Minimate pricey, but this is just me talking from a local context, since Minimates in theory are an obscure hobby here. I imagine more "regular" people might be willing/crazy enough to spend upwards of $20-40 for a Gold/Silver Spidey, depending on which spectrum of rational/irrational they fall under. But then you have the potential hardcore/completist collectors who would take the price range to a whole 'nother level...

Also, does the specific number of the mate factor into the price? (i.e. would a #1 cost more than, say, a #47 or a #16?)

I think an estimate is really tough to predict in this economy, but the Silver Spidey was unnumbered and went for over $200, I think. So, I think $500-ish is reasonable.

If you were considering selling though, I would actually put it on eBay with a "BIN" price higher than what you expect to get, and allow bidders to submit "best offers." Or, start an auction, but put a really high "reserve" price on it, as high as you would actually expect to get. Through either of these methods, you can let the market tell you what they might be "worth" without having to actually get rid of it unless you know that people are willing to pay what you are willing to accept.

I would think around $500 each. It seems the Gold ones come up less often, so that one might go for more. There seems to be more people collecting mates these days, so that could drive the price up too.

Doesn't this belong in the Flea Market thread? :lol:

Just kidding, boss. Don't ban me...

funny you should say that, I did ponder if this should be in the Flea market but seeing as I'm not actually selling just trying to get opinions then it seemed ok here.

BTW back on topic, Northraider I have seen numbered gold minimates sell for anywhere between $250 and $800 before. and I suspect that these days Numbered golds are rarer than numbered silver ones.

Thanks for your input so far guys. ( except Luke who I'm going to suspend for a week just as his contest ends for being so cheeky!... ;) )

T.

i would never pay more than $100 for a single mate. Ever. But that is just me. I would consider $500 for the pair to be a fair, albeit pricey price. If I were buying them, I would have to think very very hard, but I think I would want to pay about $100 each.

Considering how long it's been since one showed up, the $500 price I see mentioned wouldn't surprise me as an actuality. Because, as you say, they've definitely found their homes by now and any further shifting will be a rare occurrence.

And NorthRaider, I'm guessing #1 might go for more bucks, but after that they're probably all the same.

Edited by Cappy

I wouldn't go by eBay prices, you would get ripped off =/ I remember a member here stated that they didn't have PayPal and would have paid more than $100 for what the Silver Spidey went for on eBay.

The best I could offer is a PSP 2000 with custom firmware and a 4 GB memory stick PRO duo for one of them D:

I sold my Gold Spidey to a member here for $700 a few years ago. I hated to sell it, but I was in a financial crisis and didn't have much choice. At times, I wish I still had it, since I actually won it at WWC, but that's the way things go sometimes.

i think $500+ is a fair ammount as i bought my Iron man prototype for $150 and payed just under that for my bullseye proto as well

I've never had the money when i've seen gold or silver Spidey's for sale otherwise one or both would now be in my collection.

TBT i'm sure you'll get many many offers but if it was me i'd see what else i had for sale first as you probably won't get the chance for a while to own them again

I have stuck purely to the topic ;) ..."What would you pay..." I have little doubt that you'll get more . I have always been intrigued with the 'numbered' & 'bagged' aspect of these especially as I'm a 'packaging' nut. Do these come in sealed baggies similar to other promos? Are there 2 Gold versions because I'm confident that either in the MMDB,HQ,Central or the MMMV I've read that there are?

I'm a bit shocked that so many people seem to think $500 is too high. I mean, it's HIGH, thats for sure, but there are plenty of rare and expensive collectibles out there. Gold Spidey is a hell of a lot more than a run of the mill minimate. I think $500 for something that's known to be so extrordinarily rare and limited isn't too crazy. Heck, anyone who knows JLU knows the Hal Jordan figure went for a couple thousand, didn't it?

That all said, I wouldn't part with it for less than $500, period. I know you'll find someone willing to pay that much.

I have stuck purely to the topic ;) ..."What would you pay..." I have little doubt that you'll get more . I have always been intrigued with the 'numbered' & 'bagged' aspect of these especially as I'm a 'packaging' nut. Do these come in sealed baggies similar to other promos? Are there 2 Gold versions because I'm confident that either in the MMDB,HQ,Central or the MMMV I've read that there are?

The numbered Gold Spideys are in sealed baggies, but the Silvery Spideys are taped shut.

Personally, I could only go about $150 for each. That's much lower that everyone else says, but for $500, I could be picking up graded silver-age comics, which are a pretty save return on the dollar (that is, if I ever had to re-sell them, they would probably hold their value).

There doesn't seem to be as many on eBay.

The question is whether that is because people have grown tired of going after them or because they have all ended up with fans. If the first is true, then they'll be worth less than they would have been 4 years ago. But I suspect the opposite is true. I'd say $500 for each is a conservative estimate because they just aren't available.

I wouldn't pay anything for either of these, but that's because I don't bother with blanks & promos. Ah, the joys of not being a completist!

The numbered Gold Spideys are in sealed baggies, but the Silvery Spideys are taped shut.

Silver are taped shut with the label

silverspideybag.th.jpg

Or of course there is the less uncommon "ripped to shreds"

ssm09.th.jpg

Silver are taped shut with the label

silverspideybag.th.jpg

That's interesting, mine is taped shut with the label but it's going in the other direction across the width of the bag so the baggie is effectively folded over in two behind the mini. I'll put up a pic later when I find my camera.

I'm also kind of amused how we fall into two very differnt camps on these, It seems there is an element of don't have don't care about these and then a 'gotta catch em all' element that feels they should make serious money.

T.