UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No more Ghostbuster Minimates with the game pack

Just got an e-mail from Amazon about my pre-order for the Ghostbuster game bundle:

"We're contacting you about your order for the Ghostbusters Slimer Edition video game

bundle #105-2243897-8356269. We wanted to let you know that the items included in the

bundle have changed, and as a result, the price of the bundle has been lowered.

Unfortunately, we recently learned the Minimates we expected to offer in this bundle

aren't available. We're sorry for any disappointment this causes. To help make up for

this change, we've lowered the price of this bundle from $129.99 to $109.99.

This change won't impact our ability to fill your order--the release date is still June

16, and we expect to fulfill your order on time.

Again, we're very sorry for any disappointment this causes. We hope to see you again soon

at Amazon.com."

I checked the site and the Slimer Edition is no longer available. I'm taking this as good news that these will show up on their own without the huge price tag. I just thought this was worth it's own thread instead of being lost in the regular Ghostbuster's one.

My guess is that they didn't ship to amazon in time to be shipped with the game on release day.

I'll shoot Matt a an email and see if I can get some clarification.

T.

I was going to post the same thing. The figures can be delayed (and this obviously isn't uncommon to us collectors) but delaying the game isn't an option.

I'm guessing these are still Amazon.com exclusives and will still pop up for sale when they're available.

Great news! I just cancelled my order with Amazon.com. Good thing too, cause I just had to buy a case of Marvel wave 25. This'll ease my wallet... for now.

$10.00 says the 4 game ghosts show up at TRU eventually.

$10.00 says the 4 game ghosts show up at TRU eventually.

A delay isn't likely to change the fact that they're Amazon.com exclusives and that's where I expect them to pop up until I see some evidence to the contrary.

I dont know. If Amazon wanted them for the Ltd editon game and they will not be shipping with it then they might say to DST 'you screwed up take em back' they are no use to us now.

Amazon isn't known for carrying minimates and I actually agree with Minimyte on this one, I wouldn't be surprised if those that were in the packs end up in TRU or solicited in previews.

T.

Potentially promising news for us! Probably bad-news for Amazon, as they'll surely see a spike in order-cancellations once this gets out. I didn't want these bad enough to bite-the-bullet for the game-bundle (that expense is currently reserved for the wallet-beating of 13x $14.99 Mini-flyers :ohmy: ), but if these appear solo...well, that changes everything. "I ain't 'fraid of adding ghosts!"

I feel bad for DST if this is their fault, because I don't know if they will be able to sell them without the incentive of the game. These are all game-specific characters that fans of the movies have no connection with. We Minimate fans might buy them, and a few GB fans (and fans of the game) might, as well, but I'm betting not that many.

I dont know. If Amazon wanted them for the Ltd editon game and they will not be shipping with it then they might say to DST 'you screwed up take em back' they are no use to us now.

Amazon isn't known for carrying minimates and I actually agree with Minimyte on this one, I wouldn't be surprised if those that were in the packs end up in TRU or solicited in previews.

T.

1: Amazon.com carries many Minimates including the "Ghostbusters" ones, and unlike a lot of collectibles on Amazon.com they're fulfilled directly through Amazon.com (not 3rd-party sellers) so it's not as if they'd be the only Minimates available on Amazon.com. Furthermore, Amazon.com wasn't really in the business of including exclusive Minimates in special collectors editions of video games but that was obviously the plan up until recently. These were already the first Amazon.com exclusive Minimates as far as I know so it's not much of a stretch to assume they still are.

2: Amazon.com is already losing money because of this. Not only did they lose $20 off of every preorder they had they are also undoubtedly getting a lot of downgrades to the standard editions and altogether losing a lot of preorders too.

3: Amazon.com is a major business and they aren't likely to have some sort of knee-jerk immature reaction that could potentially burn bridges with a supplier and cost them more money. When faced with the choice between taking the "shit happens" approach and reacting harshly accepting the delay and working to still make the product available in a way that is profitable and beneficial to Amazon.com when the delays are resolved is obviously a better business move than telling Diamond to go to hell, a move that would roughly translate to "Curse you, Diamond Distributors, damn you for losing us a lot of money, now go make that money for someone else!"

Ultimately it's all speculation, but again: my original point is that the figures were announced as Amazon.com exclusives and as far as anyone knows they still are.

Yeah, this kind of sucks. This was a great idea for a pack in with the game (although I wasn't too thrilled about the price tag), and I was looking forward to getting these soon.

These ghosts from the exclusive pack aren't going to sell as well on their own, especially to the casual buyer. I'm hoping they still come out, but I have no idea how they'll get them out. Mayber TRU series 3?

Mayber TRU series 3?

If it gets that far, packaging them in 2-packs with variants of the 4 GBs would probably be the best chance of selling them, though repackaging them in such a way might not be cost effective.

I think a lot of what appens depends on how close DST was to getting them the stock. It could have been as simple as the boat took too long at customs. I think that more than likely these were close to making it on time (I can't imagine they'd not be close) and if that's the case, these will show up somewhere. It's not a question of if, just when and where. On some level, though it'd hurt DST, I'm hoping discount stores.

As you say these are opinions & speculation, having seeing how DST has done business previously and how they have behaved with large retailers ( Target, TRU etc) show that in these situations the retailer is definitely the one who wears the pants in the relationship. Do not confuse Diamond Distributers with Diamond Select Toys, they are not the same, DST is just a small company that happens to be owned by the same people and does not have the same clout.

I don't know where you get that Amazon are selling a lot mates because a quick search shows they are pretty crap when it comes to minimate selections and almost all of those that do show up are done through third parties. The yardstick I would use is that this is (probably) the definitive minimate fansite and seldom if ever is Amazon discussed as a serious source of minimates.

Any professional store that is relying on time sensitive goods that turn up too late to be used as intended would simply reject it ( Think of it like having st paddies day hats that turn up in April ). In my opinion Amazon are too big to mess around with what is likely DST's mistake (obviously subject to clarification). As you point out Amazon is a major business and probably wouldn't blink at saying we're not taking these because they do not meet our original needs/timescale. It's DST that should be really unhappy about this because in the grand scheme of things they might have just screwed up the deal with what is probably the biggest retailer they have ever landed.

As I also stated I have an email in to one of our contacts at DST and I hope they can clarify the situation.

T.

p.s. Welcome to the forums :)

this is a disappointment. I hope they still surface somewhere...

I went to cancel my order, but the link I used through the confirmation email said I didn't have any pending orders/pre-orders. and looking through my "order history" it came up blank, as it should... having never ordered anything before this.

all confusion aside, I am (fairly/somewhat) sure I will no longer be receiving this in the mail. :huh:

Edited by killcharlesdead

this is a disappointment. I hope they still surface somewhere...

I went to cancel my order, but the link I used through the confirmation email said I didn't have any pending orders/pre-orders. and looking through my "order history" it came up blank, as it should... having never ordered anything before this.

all confusion aside, I am (fairly/somewhat) sure I will no longer be receiving this in the mail. :huh:

I have literally cancelled my orders prior to my post ......up until that point mine were still coming!

The 'mates will show up somewhere else for sure.

The yardstick I would use is that this is (probably) the definitive minimate fansite and seldom if ever is Amazon discussed as a serious source of minimates.

Maybe the confusion comes from the link to Amazon at the top right of every page on this board. :whistling:

Quite simply.....Thankyou God! :biggrin:

This seems to be the best worst news we've all gotten.

I had long ago accepted that I wasn't going to get these because I wasn't about to pay that much for only four Minimates. So the chance that these may come in a slightly more-affordable format someday makes me happy.

It's DST that should be really unhappy about this because in the grand scheme of things they might have just screwed up the deal with what is probably the biggest retailer they have ever landed.

You said it better than I could, TBT.