UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back from the dead!

I see what you mean. The differences between the original series Viper and the reboot one might be too subtle to justify a new sculpt on DST's part though. Besides, as others have already said the BSG line's practically only a few packs away from possibly wrapping up for good, not unless there does exist the possibility of a miracle Billy Keikaya wave... maybe then we can start talking about new vehicle sculpts. (*reconsiders the feasibility of a super-deformed Raptor miniflyer* :blink:)

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NorthRaider, I think it is more that they already had a prototype made and it would be a lot cheaper to go with what they already made then to sculpt something from scratch. Like the whole TRU BSG line are based off of old sculpts (the canceled waves). Hopefully these lines are selling well enough to get more ships and new characters. Time will tell I guess.

Already sculpted circa this photo:

I think it is from the NY Toyfair 2007. But I am not quite sure.

What we are getting is not what was shown in '06. Those were prototypes for the C3 flyers (with universal block-base) that was canned and were even smaller (if you can believe that) than what will be released at TRU. The newer ones are completely new sculpts...both of them. I'm too lazy to do the search, but AA's site has the comparison photos of both if you haven't seen them. ;)

According to the Minimate panel at SDCC, DST would happily consider releasing a Mark II miniflyer if the first waves sold well enough. Still odd that they didn't go with it from the beginning though; I'm guessing they used the newer Viper model because they were *trying* to bank on the later seasons' appeal. Eh, still don't get it.

I hadn't heard that, just that they were interested in expanding mini-vehicles in general...nothing specifically pertaining to BSG. I really want to believe, though!

Edited by cdubya

I know what you are saying NorthRaider. But to be real to the RDM series of BSG, they would need to make a new sculpt Mark II. Here are some pics to show what I mean.

TOS Viper:

The Mini-flyer

RDM Viper:

The lines on the Classic Viper are far too sharp compared to what the re-imagined series Mark II would look like. I would feel cheated out if when I went to buy a RDM Viper Mark II, I end up walking away with an original series Viper in its place. I would rather have an accurate sculpt for my collectibles.

I may be being a little too geek about this though.

Yes, while they technically are both Mk. II's (in name), they are as similar as the original and new shows were. However, in this super-d-style, I could actually accept them both using the same sculpt with different paint app.s (one could be a TRU release and the "classic" could be a repainted Previews exclusive, for example). I'd be more bummed if they went this route without a "classic" Raider in conjunction (though the "Razor" raiders were quite similar as well...especially once they've been minimatized). Perhaps this is why I suggested a "Cylon Wars" theme in my previous post/s. Hmmmm, I had written-off the likelihood of ever getting "classic" ships altogether, but I must admit that these posts have renewed my faith in it's plausibility (interest allowing). Not that this carries much weight, but it does seem odd to me that they'd even bother identifying the Mk. VII/modern Raider as "Series 1" if they hadn't at least entertained the possibility of a Series 2. Hopefully DST/TRU are rebelling..."and they have a plan".

*BTW, of four TRUs in my stomping-grounds, all are nearly sold-out of the S1 'mates (with the exception of a straggling Starbuck or Adama pack). Here's hoping the others fare as well. Depending on case ratios, I can promise that no-one will find a Cylon Raider in metro Missouri or Kansas! :D

I'm afraid that the BSG line now reminds me of an old labrador that you have loved since a puppy. The 'old boy' still wags his tail but you know that he is suffering & the right thing has to be done :(

Someone forgot to take their "happy-pill" today. :ermm:

Does anyone have a picture of the Minimate security guard for the Laboratory Playset?

IMG_5770.jpg

you can find it in the SDCC thread (page 2 or 3)

Lose those lame-ass, Gen. 1 'moon-boots', add pilot belt/gun combo, paint it varying degrees of black, tampo accordingly and you've essentially got a passable (if a newly-sculpted vest with pouches strains the budget) Col. Marine. Paint a diagonal red stripe on a Cylon and I smell an army-builder that would thoroughly piss my wife off! :lol:

*Why do we get imaginary "Stealth" and "Gold" modern Cylons when there was a perfectly plausible (and cost-effective I'd imagine) variant available? Oh, and while on the subject, all Cylon variants (especially if a unique color) should come with both hands and cannons.

Edited by cdubya

Someone forgot to take their "happy-pill" today. :ermm:

I think he forgot it when he was taking his 'reality pill'.

As much as love this line and am excited to see it back in two waves and flyers, I'm not optimistic about getting more. I think we could all come up with 5 more two-packs to see another wave, but would it be enough to sell well? Wave 1 seems to have sold well on-line (since it disappeared) and wave 2 might also, but there's too many stories of in-store overstocks to prove this line is successful enough to expect more. I'd rather see (after the second wave is out) TRU switch gears and do Star Trek mates instead. I think there's more of an on-going future in those.

I just want that final wave. The flyers will be a bonus, but I'm praying that final wave makes it.

I think that the final wave and flyers are a lock to hit retail. Past that I doubt anything else is produced.

I think at one of the SDCC panels, New Caprica Starbuck and Tigh were asked about, and the answer was that they would not likely be produced. I think the flyers and the last two waves are it, and, honestly, I'm ok with that.

I just want that final wave. The flyers will be a bonus, but I'm praying that final wave makes it.

I think that the final wave and flyers are a lock to hit retail. Past that I doubt anything else is produced.

I agree with ya both, and according to latest Q & A posted on AA today wave 2 will be in stores soon and he said somethng about the package shots for the flyers being up soon too---so thats pretty good confirmation, and it eases my mind about wave 2!

My local TRU is sold out of BSG minimates and they had 3 full pegs.

If this catches on, maybe there'll be a wave 3.

Mine too, all four of them. No sense convincing pessimists...er, "realists". Their prophecies are generally self-fulfilled. I find your enthusiasm refreshing.

*And the rest find my optimism annoying...beat someone to the punch-line. :P

I just don't want this to end in tears cdubya. If BSG continues past this next wave ,selling successfully then nobody more than me will be happier....without pills ;)

No worries 'mate, but all lines end in tears (to degrees). I'm content with what we're getting, I just wish more people would revel in this minor-miracle rather than piss-on the parade; it gives an impression that no-one cares or are supporting this (remember, we have DST spies in our midst!).

*I must also apologize that I tend to overlook the fact that the majority of our family do not have easy access to the products. Just ask, folks...many are willing to help.

I don't know about how sad I'd be if it ended after TRU wave 2. Yes, there are a few characters I'd love to see, but having the additional TRU waves (at 10 figures each wave even) gives it a chance for some closure. When TRU stops ordering more, I think we will all know that everything was done to continue this line and know that it's probably the end of all BSG mates.

Lewsiville, TX Ghostbusters sold out, but we still have a ton of BSG mates. Two pegs plus the opposing shelf (for some odd reason) has a row just sitting on the shelf. I've actually watched the stocker add to the pegs, then turn around and add to the shelf stack. Very, very odd. I think the mini-flyers will do well anyway.

I just don't want this to end in tears cdubya. If BSG continues past this next wave ,selling successfully then nobody more than me will be happier....without pills ;)

No worries 'mate, but all lines end in tears (to degrees). I'm content with what we're getting, I just wish more people would revel in this minor-miracle rather than piss-on the parade; it gives an impression that no-one cares or are supporting this (remember, we have DST spies in our midst!).

*I must also apologize that I tend to overlook the fact that the majority of our family do not have easy access to the products. Just ask, folks...many are willing to help.

My local TRU did not stock these until after I had bought them from the TRU near my Grandmother (almost two weeks later). They sold through a box and they have at least three more cases on the shelf. If anyone wants a set, anywhere, let me know (PM me).

Most folks on here are reporting seeing abundant BSG mates at their local TRU, but I've never seen any in mine, in Cary NC. There must be more than a few fans in the area, I guess. Oh well, I suppose it contributes to my decision to give up collecting mates. Should you need some of the older BSG mates, including variants & bagged exclusives, check out my For Sale thread link in my sig line.