UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back from the dead!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wolverine wave hasn't exactly warmed pegs here, but it sure isn't leaping off the shelves either. I've been tempted to just buy out the last few packs to make room for new stuff, but I fear that it will only result in another box of Wolverine mates, and this time they won't move at all.

Paint it however you want and blame availability or whatever, but it has been proven time and again that the normal looking human sets don't move as quickly as the colorful costumes and creatures. Terminator and Ghostbusters may get a pass since they have homicidal robots and a variety of ghosts to keep things interesting, but if BSG goes out there and dies on the shelves again, it'll likely be a nail in the coffin for any future "revisits" to licenses past and probably cause a serious reconsideration about expanding the Minimate product at TRU stores.

I'm willing to do my part in helping those without TRU (provided mine get them), as I really want these to succeed for the retail-future of all Minimates. I'm not sure how accurate the June release is, but I will certainly be on the look-out!

While I too have my reservations as to how these will fare, I believe we can make a good dent if we help each other out. :thumbsup:

I still say that whether or not you like BSG mates, these are going to be a crucial line to determine the future of Minimates at TRU. If these fail, I don't see them being wiling to take as many risks on other lines that don't have a broader release.

I still say that whether or not you like BSG mates, these are going to be a crucial line to determine the future of Minimates at TRU. If these fail, I don't see them being wiling to take as many risks on other lines that don't have a broader release.

Maybe, but if the T2 and Ghostbuster 'Mates sell but those don't, then I don't think they would ask "should we take risks" in the future, so much as "should we take risks with licenses that have failed us in the past" or some such thing.

Too TRUe. I realize that we're being bombarded with 'mates already this Summer, but please get out there and show some support this time (or help other board-members out). We simply must get to Series 2 and those intriguing "surprises" that were eluded-to! Whether this news excites you or not, I think we all can agree on how important the success of these TRU exclusives (all of them: Marvel, Terminator, Ghostbusters, BSG,) are to the continuation of Minimates at retail.

Should these appear at my TRU, I would happily help out this cause by getting them for anyone out who wanted them, though I don't think that I will be buying any for myself.

Maybe, but if the T2 and Ghostbuster 'Mates sell but those don't, then I don't think they would ask "should we take risks" in the future, so much as "should we take risks with licenses that have failed us in the past" or some such thing.

That is a valid point and no one should feel obligated to purchase something that they are not interested in, but if you see these peg-warming and know of board-members that need these, helping them out would still benefit us all.

As much as I'd like to see Trek 'mates return too and join the TRU roster, I get a bit concerned looking at the amount of current product in my local TRUs (TOS and movie fig.s) that are warming.

I just wanted to chime in on my excitement of the BSG MiniMates returning bigger and better than I could have hoped. I never thought TRU would make this potentially risky gamble, but I'm glad they are doing it with BSG.

Too TRUe. I realize that we're being bombarded with 'mates already this Summer, but please get out there and show some support this time (or help other board-members out). We simply must get to Series 2 and those intriguing "surprises" that were eluded-to! Whether this news excites you or not, I think we all can agree on how important the success of these TRU exclusives (all of them: Marvel, Terminator, Ghostbusters, BSG,) are to the continuation of Minimates at retail.

I have been showing my support with all of the TRU waves as such. I knew that I would be getting a complete set elsewhere (LCS, online) but I still bought a complete set just to show support for minimates in general (yes, even including the Spiderman wave). I did not want to be one of those people that just buys the exclusive and lets the rest sit. I have been on the eBay side of that scenario too many times with other lines (Hasbro <_< ). It sucks.

A side note: My TRU has restocked numerous times the WO wave, including variants. I would be happy to get anyone what they need of the TRU wave at cost. Just send me a PM.

Edited by Onyx_6

Yeah I think there's a few of us "internationals" happy to help you guys clean out your TRUs :biggrin:

Those new photos on the AA blog really drive home how much improved these sculpts are. I mean, look at the difference between the old Adama mate and the new design... These mates really capture the look of the show/actors a lot better for me than the earlier waves, which were almost unrecognizable at times.

Bearing in mind that there is a Staff member here who is far more toy-store orientated than myself I would like to be contradicted about the 'workings' of any TRU 'deal'. I'm not being specific about the BSG exclusive .....I'm on about the whole deal..

I know no more than anybody else but.........

......merchants selling their wares into corporates ,such as TRU ,will often offer 'Sale or Return' to the corporate which ,without perhaps patronising (to our bored reader), means that 'what isn't sold by the corporate returns to the manufacturer'....in this case DST. This 'deal' reduces any 'gamble' that the corporate has in taking on-board any new venture.

I hope I'm making sense?

The 'Mates are dropped on the TRU stores..TRU pegs them & what they don't sell....goes back to DST.

If,for example,Wolvie'mates peg -warm then it isn't TRU that 'carry the can' it is DST.

Getting it yet?

I'll conclude by saying that I know nothing more than anybody else & I wish Minimates,DST & TRU all the best in the world ...............................

................but I live in the real one. :thumbsup:

"Back from the dead" seems like the wrong title for a BSG thread. Shouldn't it be "BSG Wave Resurrected"

I agree. Before realizing this new thread existed, I proposed a new title: BSG minimates downloaded to TRU!

So get on the name change, groundhog7s. Please :biggrin:

I admit I was too giddy when I first posted to look for the obvious title name. I have changed the sub-title, but didn't change the title to advoid any confusion.

And to comment on BHM's post about TRU not eating their losses, I'm not sure if you've been to a TRU store here in the states or not, but there are always tons of toys that peg and shelf warm that never seem to go back to a company. I don't know if it's done on a case by case basis, but if they can return unsold stock whenever they don't seem to do it (yes, Indiana Jones toys, I'm talking about you).

Smaller companies like DST might have to accept such deals, whereas bigger ones like Hasbro or Mattel might not. Reminds me of a documentary on Wal-Mart I saw awhile back. These smaller companies were given ultimatums by Wal-Mart execs--produce X amount of product for Y dollars, or get stepping. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if DST has to pay a steep price for the exposure that it gets at TRU, which may include an agreement that they have to eat unsold stock.

Bearing in mind that there is a Staff member here who is far more toy-store orientated than myself I would like to be contradicted about the 'workings' of any TRU 'deal'. I'm not being specific about the BSG exclusive .....I'm on about the whole deal..

I know no more than anybody else but.........

......merchants selling their wares into corporates ,such as TRU ,will often offer 'Sale or Return' to the corporate which ,without perhaps patronising (to our bored reader), means that 'what isn't sold by the corporate returns to the manufacturer'....in this case DST. This 'deal' reduces any 'gamble' that the corporate has in taking on-board any new venture.

I hope I'm making sense?

The 'Mates are dropped on the TRU stores..TRU pegs them & what they don't sell....goes back to DST.

If,for example,Wolvie'mates peg -warm then it isn't TRU that 'carry the can' it is DST.

Getting it yet?

I'll conclude by saying that I know nothing more than anybody else & I wish Minimates,DST & TRU all the best in the world ...............................

................but I live in the real one. :thumbsup:

Ouch BHM, my brain hurts :confused:

I don't have any fancy words to add, but don't some of these merchants also give some sort of credit (after a length of time) that the corporate can use to 'mark down' or 'clearance' some of the wares if they do not sell? So that nobody gets stuck with unpopular products?

Off topic: We REALLY need 3 3/4" modern cylons!

That should have been Hasbro's dept. (they held the rights for classic BSG), but did nothing beyond diecast. As much as I'd personally have loved them (1:18 is my preferred figure scale), I sincerely doubt that "kid friendly" Hasbro would have tackled a mature-oriented line such as this, and rightly so. This is where BSG 'mates come-in for me personally; they're my 'toys' (part of why I push so hard for mini-flyers), while the 7" line are my (mostly) MOC 'collectibles'. :thumbsup:

Uh, that was series 3 in the picture. We got those.

Did we? You know, right after I posted it, I thought I may be wrong. I don't remember seeing a few of those myself. I'm not really into the BSG mates, but I have some and I will eventually watch the series. I guess there are a few I may have to hunt down. Thanks for setting me straight.