fwoosheyman

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I'm wrong...

You're probably not. Blast it.

So say we all indeed.

If the Spider-Woman/Molecule Man set is one of those ridiculous one per case deals then I won't bother buying the Secret Wars set. Simples!

I wish we could organize a formal boycott of this type, but I'm afraid that we lack the "organizational cohesion" and disincentives/shaming mechanisms necessary to make it work. Some jerk would go on and buy them anyway :angry::P

What I dislike about the DST/TRU deal is the horrible distribution of these waves. I keep seeing all the non-be/ms sets, I hope they'll get to realize how a big mistake that was overall(not likely). TRU won't put new stock up until old stock is gone which also bad because that means only the more populated areas will be putting up new stock on a routine basis, if even. The TRU one per case :wacko: is one of the worst feelings I've had collecting minimates. (Not even not having gold, silver spideys made me feel this way) Let's hope for the best that the new wave has a better ratio or it's more gas and diet pepsi. :P

I wish we could organize a formal boycott of this type, but I'm afraid that we lack the "organizational cohesion" and disincentives/shaming mechanisms necessary to make it work. Some jerk would go on and buy them anyway :angry::P

That and some of us already used nonrefundable gift cards to pre-order the set from the website. :blush:

Really, if they could just get the exclusive mates on the website, a lot of this headache would go away. I realize Chuck and the gang have little to no control over that, or even which brick and mortars restock and carry them at all, but this is getting silly. Of course, Chuck did cop to shorting the BE/MS set didn't he? I'm not doubting his math that there are actually more sets out than if they included it in a lcs wave, but I think this is a case where the Law of Unintended Consequences is kicking us in the nads.

And why do we assume the MM/SW pack will be the shorted one, with TRU carrying the SW boxed set? Does TRU really care that without the X-Factor Angel pack you cannot complete an AFX exclusive? I'm kinda surprised they are carrying that set at all, personally.

As I said, without the Secret Wars branding, I doubt the average TRU shopper will make any connection between MM/SW and Secret Wars.

Actually, I doubt that average shopper will even know who they are – I can't remember the last time Mollie was in a book, and Julia Carpenter was last seen in the short-lived Omega Flight series as Arachne, not Spider-Woman.

As I said, without the Secret Wars branding, I doubt the average TRU shopper will make any connection between MM/SW and Secret Wars.

Actually, I doubt that average shopper will even know who they are – I can't remember the last time Mollie was in a book, and Julia Carpenter was last seen in the short-lived Omega Flight series as Arachne, not Spider-Woman.

Yeah, but you should know they aren't doing some of these sets just for kids, and there's always those dads and moms, that go to TRU, and see this, and are like, I remember reading that awesome story. Maybe, just maybe, I could get my kid into stuff like that. I know that sounds like a rare occurrence, but it happens sometimes.

Really, if they could just get the exclusive mates on the website, a lot of this headache would go away.

Good luck with that. Every time I suggest the idea, their customer service department just apologizes for it not being available, then reminds me that I can still get Hulk and Domination from their website.

Sweet, I'm glad I held off of buying any wave 27 because all I really wanted was that Hulk and Iron Man, though I'm disappointed that the battery pack is all red. As long as the new characters are two per case each I'll be happy. If we're to follow the last distribution of army builders, the breakdown might hopefully be this:

2x Angel/Warpath

2x Molecule Man/Spider-Woman

2x X-Force Wolverine/Vault Guard

3x Iron Man/Hulk

3x Insulated Spider-Man/Electro

DST said they won't be doing the one per case thing anymore, right? RIGHT?!?

Good luck with that. Every time I suggest the idea, their customer service department just apologizes for it not being available, then reminds me that I can still get Hulk and Domination from their website.

So... what? The website has the same restock policies as the stores: can't order/include anything new till absolutely all the old sells out? Even stuff that was available for months before TRU picked up the line? Well thought through policy there.

And no, the "average" shopper will have absolutely no idea who Molecule Man, or Spider-Woman are anymore than they knew Bullseye, Moonstone, Wonderman or Union Jack. They barely know Doctor Doom. Those sets are there for us, not them. Which makes it frustrating when those sets become nearly impossible to find.

And no, the "average" shopper will have absolutely no idea who Molecule Man, or Spider-Woman are anymore than they knew Bullseye, Moonstone, Wonderman or Union Jack. They barely know Doctor Doom. Those sets are there for us, not them. Which makes it frustrating when those sets become nearly impossible to find.

Priceless ! :lol:

DST said they won't be doing the one per case thing anymore, right?

Does anyone know if/where/when this was actually said? Not having a dig at you Dio, but i'd love it if someone could firm up the details a bit for me, 'cause i'm totally jonesing for the MoleculeMan/Spiderwoman 2-pack (i voted for both of them) & the Angel/Warpath 2-pack!

Greatttt...yet another series that won't show up on toysrus.com.

Well, it'll be off to ebay for this set. Some times you can get a good deal on ebay for cost or a little more than cost (Bullseye and Moonstone excluded - prices are brutal. Yes, I'm still trying to get one.). One positive though, ebayers do ship and pack the minimates better than toyrus.com. Go figure... (and often the ebay shipping is cheaper).

Edited by HelloMate

Quick Question (Hope it's not too far off topic):

Can anyone tell the significance (if any) of the black stripe/spot on SpiderWomans bottom lip? It appears on the minimate & the control art on the box in the image @ http://www.artasylum.com/blog/wp-content/u...lespider_ex.jpg ?

It makes the pink parts of her bottom lip look a bit like fangs . . . is it meant to make her appear more venomous? I've never noticed this before & was wondering if it's specific to the Secret Wars story or something? Is it comic accurate?

Quick Question (Hope it's not too far off topic):

Can anyone tell the significance (if any) of the black stripe/spot on SpiderWomans bottom lip? It appears on the minimate & the control art on the box in the image @ http://www.artasylum.com/blog/wp-content/u...lespider_ex.jpg ?

It makes the pink parts of her bottom lip look a bit like fangs . . . is it meant to make her appear more venomous? I've never noticed this before & was wondering if it's specific to the Secret Wars story or something? Is it comic accurate?

I think it's just there for definition. As far as I know ol Julie Carpenter has never had fangs, been venomous, or had any other crazy mutation. She's just a simple Colorado girl with psychic webs and a sweet black spider costume.

Julia Carpenter got her powers from an experiment her college buddy Val Cooper was conducting for Dr. Cooper's bosses at the Commision on Superhuman Affairs. The Commission was looking to create it's own super-human agents, and the broke, recently divorced Carpenter needed a job, any job apparently. Cooper's experiment succeeded in giving Julia a host of spider-like superhuman abilities. Physically, her speed, strength, agility, ect. are roughly equal to Spider-Man's, though since she didn't get a "Spider-Sense", she's not quite as known for immpossible to hit acrobatics. Like Spider-man, she can stick to walls, and it was hinted she can leap farther than he can. She certainly has nicer legs, but I digress. Her unique ability is her power to create "psychic webs". At first she had to remain still and really concentrate to create them, but with time and practice she was web-swinging by the end of her long WCA run. I didn't read Omega Flight, but I can't recall her having a poison bite in her early appearances. But then, Julia had her powers stolen from her by the third Spider-Woman who did have fangs, who in turn lost them to the fourth Spider-Woman before she just proved a really unpopular idea that went away and somewhere in the muddeled mess Julia got her powers back. (It was that period when Marvel brought in Byrne to "fix" the Spider-titles, I don't blame any of you for not reading it and wish I hadn't)

And yeah, that Val Cooper. The one involved with just about everything Gyrich wasn't when it came to Government and superheroes through out the late 80's well through the 90's.

i'm going to have to get my friend to plug in the sku for the minimates to see if their warehouse is pending. can't wait for these, but just the 2 exclusive packs. I'd rather have had more Hydra Soldiers than the Vault guard, since toysrus helped me build up my aim army pretty good and cheaper than at the local comic shops.

Right - so it's more of a shading/definition thing than an actual costume/make-up choice by the character?

That's be my call, but you'd have to ask Matt and Chuck on that. She "shouldn't" have them, not in that costume, not if it's a Secret Wars tie in. But that doesn't mean "artistic license" wasn't taken with the design.

Or would that be artistic licensing? Oh well, you know what I mean.

I'm glad they are rereleasing a Julie Carpenter Spider Woman. I came in late on the minimate train so getting a 2nd chance at her is welcome. Now if only they do a rerelease with Nightcrawler than my X-men is complete.

When is this newest wave tentatively hitting TRU?