UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

'versers and their avatars

Bob Harris

This thread is awesome because I feel exactly the same way LOL I get so used to all the "faces" and when people change em I have to constantly look at the username to see who posted. Its no biggie but I do agree that you identify members through their avatars.

Myself, I've used my avatar since the beginning and have never changed it. Its a "cartoon" drawing I made of myself YEARS ago on MS Paint, use it on all the forums I belong to, and now its the logo for my mugg customs :) I dont know what I'm going to do if I ever decide to cut my hair short haha

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my avatar was a somewhat recent decision (I've been around since before 06) and I've been thinking to change it to something that fits my name better. Oh, and my current avatar, from castle crashers, is the first avatar I've used. Unless there was something Donna related that I've forgotten... which is most likely true.

Anywho, I might change it to something better. Maybe Scarlet Spider as my name does involve the word "Clone."

-CloneMe

I find if you don't pay attention to what other people say, it really doesn't matter what the avatars look like.

Yes. And therefore it does feel strange if people I do pay attention to what they say change their "face". I don't think it matters when a person I'm not really paying attention to is changing his or her avatar. (Yes, I there are some people's posts I really love to read.)

NorthRaider, there for sure is an article on that topic in that trope site you're always referring to, right?

If Zartan could speak in 69 tongues would he be a cunning linguist? :P

I was affraid of something like that happening. :P

NorthRaider, there for sure is an article on that topic in that trope site you're always referring to, right?

Surprisingly, no. :ohmy:

(Or at least, not yet?)

In fact, it appears we're going against the tide by actually discussing this subject coherently. (Link courtesy of Yahoo! Answers, the monstrous deep dark underbelly of the World Wide Web. :nuke: )

Okay, I think I just gave myself nightmares there. :pinch:

I followed that link - in fact I followed both, but important is the second one - and I just found out what you described as the "monstrous deep dark underbelly of the World Wide Web". Unbelievable. Those questions are amazing. Some are just dumb, but others tell of huge lacking experience of life. And like two of the comments say: this makes me feel smart on the one hand, but lets me lose all faith in humanity. That Georgia question.

! It reaches a completely new level of it. :ohmy:

its amusing that this has been mentioned now, as I happened to change mine (for the first time) yesterday, hadn't noticed it was what all the cool kids at school were doing. This was 1) i fancied a change, and 2) was a bit fed up with all the new lantern ones all of a sudden.

usually i'll just look at the name to see who has posted, the only avatars i can automatically attach a name to are North Raider and Are-Jay.

...i wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy looking at mine

Being a bald guy though, there aren't very many options other than the obvious Professor X :blush:

Some possible avatars for the future:

post-2737-1243812027_thumb.jpg

Bald Bad-Ass

post-2737-1243811913_thumb.jpg

Bald Action Star

post-2737-1243811934_thumb.jpg

Bald Muscial Royalty

post-2737-1243811904_thumb.jpg

Bald Comedy Legend

post-2737-1243812248_thumb.jpg

Bald Crazy

that trope site you're always referring to

I love that site. I have literally had about 50 tabs at once with that site. I perused that site for 3 hours straight just for the hell of it!

Just 3 hours? Pffft, I've browsed that site long enough for it to actually merit the distinction of ruining my life. (Of course seeing as I'm actually taking up Literature in college I guess it shouldn't be that surprising...)

Some possible avatars for the future:

post-2737-1243812027_thumb.jpg

Bald Bad-Ass

post-2737-1243811913_thumb.jpg

Bald Action Star

post-2737-1243811934_thumb.jpg

Bald Muscial Royalty

post-2737-1243811904_thumb.jpg

Bald Comedy Legend

post-2737-1243812248_thumb.jpg

Bald Crazy

You missed one:

Bald Memetic Bad-Ass

audience2robau.jpg

Robau_1.jpg

I just thought it would be cool if everyone changed their avatars to one of the Lantern Corps from Blackest night to show which side they're on... But now that I think of it, it becomes annoying 'cause that way you can't tell whose posts are whose, as Bob stated. <_<

Welp, I'm off to change it now, :P

(Changed it to my digital custom of me in my school uniform. Without a mouth.)

Edited by Captain Minimate

Boba Fett, is that Donnie Darko?

I can't tell if you're joking... it's new Kirk!

I just thought it would be cool if everyone changed their avatars to one of the Lantern Corps from Blackest night to show which side they're on

This is exactly why i changed mine, it's a ridiculous! Sinestro Corps? Yeah... fair enough, that works. Other than that, I disaprove... anything other than green = massive, MASSIVE thumbs down from me

I just thought it would be cool if everyone changed their avatars to one of the Lantern Corps from Blackest night to show which side they're on

A lovely idea, except that I don't even read Blackest Night. (I compare this to something like the Civil War banners trend a few years back.)

Although I will admit that I was mighty amused by the rash of Make Kang!-related avatars (and running gags :blink: ) that started emerging sometime during the Wave 25-26 28 reveals. Not that I wish to emulate this... my forum title should be enough. :D

I can't recall how many times I've changed my avatar, though none have been even remotely as epic as some of the mainstays around here.

I recall having a dragon for a while, which was fitting. When I got drafted into a writing gig on MMHQ, I changed it to one of several JP1000 pics the staff had access to. I had a Shanester skrull image for a while during the start of the Secret Invasion buzz. I had Superman burning down Siegel's house when I got into that pissing contest with Wallbreaker about raising money to save the house.

Now I have Sackboy wearing a Chinese dragon costume.

Boba Fett, is that Donnie Darko?

YulBrynner_smaller.jpg

Bald Muscial Royalty

"Musical"? Are you kidding? This is Yul frackin' Brynner. One of the magnificent seven! :angry:

sjff_03_img0983.jpg

:P

At this point I feel the need to confess my unhealthy love for Yul Brynner. That is all. Thank you.

My avatar has special meaning to me. It is in fact the Mego Toys Astronaut from the Planet of the Apes line. The first forum I ever joined was still a listserv really and it was for 70's toy collectors. I just wanted to get educated on the Mego's I loved as a kid and see if I could get help repairing the few I had left. That listserv developed in the Mego Museum section at RTM and eventually broke off into its own site around 2001, when you could pick an avatar to represent you. I chose the POTA Astronaut on day one and have never changed. As I moved on to other sites, I wanted to keep the same avatar and the owners of Mego Museum allowed me that option.

I have migrated to different Hulk avatars at a few other forums I frequent, but I stay the same old astronaut at the ones where I have belonged the longest. If you visit the forums (and find me) at Megomuseum.com, rebelscum.com, or here (obviously), you will see the same familiar avatar.

Bob Harris, 7 Samurai is one of the best movies ever made (IMO).