UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Save the Spirit

Hey guys, heres a thought. Maybe if enough of us write into AFX, we might be able to get them to sponsor the comic book Spirit minimates as an AFX exclusive box set. Please help support this one! Thanks.

Here is what I have written to AFX,

write to: cs@shopafx.com

Hello AFX,

I don't know if this is the right channel, but I have recently learned that the comic book Spirit minimate box set has been canceled. Link: http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp...ategoryID%3D480

How would the idea be of sponsoring a box set run of this in the same vein as your previous minimate box sets be? I myself have been collecting minimates since the start of Marvel minimates and have all of them, customs, and all of DC minimates. I have been a fan of Will Eisner's Spirit for quite awhile. As a fan of both Spirit and minimates I had preordered from my local comic shop 4 box sets of the Spirit. That has been my biggest order on one minimate item.

So I come to you AFX and ask, can you please sponsor a box set of comic book Spirit minimates as one of your exclusive sets?

Thank you for your consideration,

Christopher P. Franey

Wow AFX is fast. Here is their reply:

Hi Christopher

We would have to order at least 2,000 sets and it is highly unlikely we would be able to sell that many.

Sincerely,

Action Figure Xpress

So Minimate Multiversers, can you help me? We have to find a way to convince them to get a run.

Thanks!

***Wow AFX is fast. Here is their reply:

Hi Christopher

We would have to order at least 2,000 sets and it is highly unlikely we would be able to sell that many.

Sincerely,

Action Figure Xpress

So Minimate Multiversers, can you help me? We have to find a way to convince them to get a run.

Thanks!

post-132-1243701396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lantern Returns

After talking with AFX some more on the issue and their advice is to petition Diamond Select Toys. I will write up an e-mail and see what they think, but folks I'll need your help on showing support of these mates.

We can do it! Write to: customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry but i think it is too late minimate HQ ran this article a few weeks ago.

I personally feel we are getting SO many minimates that this one box set would not have made the list. sure it is cool and maybe a few years ago i would have picked int up no problem but things being how they are... i am glad AA/DST has to foresight to see what is not selling and canceling before it has a chance to warm the shelves.

As much as I hate to see a Minimate product die, I think its saving the license a little dignity by holding back on them. Retail interest isn't there, else they wouldn't have canceled the initial release. AFX seems to have made clear that they aren't interested in hosting the box set, else they wouldn't have directed Lantern Returns to turn his pitch towards DST. With three exclusive sets already in the works, you can't blame them for playing it safe either.

TRU seems to be the only other Minimate selling kid on the block, and who knows how to approach that giant in requesting a product that isn't in production.

Well this sucks. Its not that AFX turned it down, it is that they need to get DST on with this idea as well, but from everyone's point of view I guess there is no support for a set like this.

Well I'm glad I tried.

Edited by Lantern Returns

I know what you mean Mystery Man, this was a big buy for me. I was going to buy 4 sets of this. I love the Spirit. I discovered him when I was in college and this is a great character. I own all the DC archives of him and follow the comics too. Sadly the movie lost sight of the character, but at least with that we got minimates which lead to comic minimates. Well with this part of the quote:

" I have to be honest with you, we’ve really struggled to find the buyers for the Spirit comic boxed sets. We’re not giving up but we need to find some more support at retail to make this set happen."

I know when I go to SDCC I will be doing some talking. Maybe I can get Dark Horse to back this set up...