UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Halo 3 Discussion

I finally made Sergeant last night. It is a big accomplishment for me!

I used to use weapons I could double wield, but many pros have told me not to do that. So I stick mostly with the BR. My aim is getting better which seems to be key, and I pay close attention to my radar (I used to get asassinated a lot).

I still get frustrated by the amount of bullets I can pour into a guy and yet he still doesn't fall. I am assuming it is a fault of my aim.

I kinda wish Halo 3 had some sort of target practice or training app. Currently, I am 3/4 of the way back through a solo game set on Legendary and it has been good training for the Matchmaking games.

Great work Shane!

Keep working towards that lieutenant!

As for the dual wielding... Your pro friends are correct. While some weapons are an exc eption to the rule (Maulers), Halo uses a system coined "Damage spiking."

What it means is that if 2 guys run at each other theoretically (as long as they aim about as well as one another) the one who starts shooting first will win. The spikes come in with melee attacks & grenades. Should soldier B decide to try and punch or grenade Soldier A they take a risk. They have to stop shooting and their punch/melee might not hit, but if it does their damage dealing spikes and they win.

The problem with dual wielding weapons is that you cannot throw grenades or punch (when you punch you drop a gun).

Since I mentioned them already I feel compelled to talk about M<aulers. Maulers are an awesome weapon and I throughly suggest some practice time with them if you get a chance. What's great about them is, unlike the other Dual Wieldable weapons, they are very versatile. If you are only carrying 1, get in close and use them just like you would use a shotgun. Immediately after shooting melee. It will deliver and shot/punch instant kill. This is a good alternative if you can't find a shotgun AND you can still usse grenades!

Maulers are also THE ONLY weapon I still dual wield when I get an opportunity. You lose out on the greande toss, but 2 Maulers is actually more powerful than a shotgun in close combat. In fact, they are so effective that you can i shot kill (both triggers shooting once of course) people who aren't even that close to you.

Sorry, I picked up Operation Darkness last week and I haven't been on Halo that much. Don't worry though, it's not that great a game and this phase will pass. :thumbsup:

If you have nay other questions feel free to ask. I'm not pro by any means, but like |I said, knowledge is everything in Halo so I've done my research.

Oh! Also important: Your radar is actually a motion sensor. Keep that in mind, that it won't show people who aren't moving and people who are moving slowly. It's important to keep your eye on... But don't put all of your trust in it.

Yep, it's a common strategy with campers, snipers & bomb/flag carriers.

Say you steal the enemy flag and manage to kill everyone in the room. Run around the corner and hide for 10 seconds and the rest of the defenders might run right past you giving you a free pass out. If you're not sure how fast you can move and stay off the radar you can use "crouch walkingt" Hold down crouch and walk and you'll move slowly enough to be invisible to your oponents motion sensor.

I'm now a Sgt Grade 2 and well on my way to grade 3. Seems that I am not the only old guy newb trying to get some skills, as I have made a few friends in the same situ.

My aim is getting much better which is making a huge difference in one on one kills. Also, learning to melee after a few shot is the icing on the cake. A strategically placed grenade is always a bonus, as well.

I appreciate all the guidance you guys have given me. Now if I can just get past Rats Nest on Legendary, I think I can cap off my latest campaign.

A couple questions about campaign:

Are you determined to play it by yourself?

I would understand if you're using it as a "training" program... But if not, well, I could probably hook you up with a better training program.

See, Halo 3 has something called "Campaign scoring." It gives you points for kills like in multiplayer, but points are given a bonus if you get headshots, stick an enemy or get a triple kill, ect.

Campaign scoring though, is REALLY cool when you add in skulls. Skulls are hidden bonuses hidden throughout each campaign level, that once unlocked "alter" the way the game is played. I would go more in depth, but a person almost has to see them to understand...

Anyways, if you're interested we can hook up sometime and play. Shoot me a pm if you'd like to and we'll figure out a time. :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm thinking that I may never get past Rats Nest alone. My son was explaining the skulls to me just last weekend. I have gotten a couple of them.

I hope to get some help from friends this weekend, so anytime you feel like a game and I'm around, feel free to drop me a message.

Again, I really appreciate all the help Nestle.

It's cool, I actually really enjoy passing on the tidbits I've learned over the years. I remember how impossible Legendary seemed when Halo 2 launched. A couple years pass... And, well it's not nearly so bad once you've learned some tricks.

Actually, maybe I should let you know:

A charged Plasma Pistol shot will deplete someone's shileds to nothing (or turn off a vehicle's engine). It can't hurt a person (Well in THEORY something like 40 shots kill a person), but sets them up for a 1 shot kill with another weapon. This can also be used against Brutes on Legendary. If you're stuck fighting the buggers though... I doin't really have good advice. Just shoot a couple, hide, shoot a couple, hide... Fast forward 20 minutes and you'll have killed them all. :tongue:

I completed Halo 3 in Legendary mode this weekend. To all those that sent me messages...I am sorry for the lack of replies. My son told me I had messages and I never checked them. I'll try to be more diligent in the future.

Now, back to my quest for the officer rank.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm nearly a Gunnery Sergeant Grade 2, but I'm still not good. I average about 8 to 10 kills per game, but occassionally I'll end a game at less than 5 kills. I even ended one at zero kills a few days ago. It was a massacre. Everytime I spawned, I got pummeled.

I've learned a few tricks from kind fellow players, like great places to snipe. Getting to know the maps and placement of items is sure a huge help, too.

Thanks to Nestle for dropping me a line. Anyone ever feel like playing with a newb, I am usually on in the Matchmaking Lobby. See you there.

So you have discovering spawn killing. It is the bane of Halo 3. Even the best players can do little about it. I had a game like that the other day, and I'm a very decent player (Commander Grade 3) and I was with with my friend of a similar level, and we just got owned. I fell out with Halo for a long while but am beginning to get back into it now, but I get cocky in my skill, which isn't what it used to be, and make silly mistakes so hopefully I'll get better again.

It's all in the evolution of your learning Shane. Not sure what game type you're playing, but let's assume it's slayer. Knowing the map is very important, but if you're playing on, say Foundry you can't just rush the rockets cause you know where they are. You have to act as a team. 2 or 3 run up the centre and take on the other team while the other goes for rockets. The first ones are distraction. MAybe they'll kill the other team... Probably not. I dunno, I guess I'm rambling a bit, but my point is, sometimes I'm the guy who goes for rockets, sometimes I'm the fodder who goes to distract the other team.

Halo isn't just about knowing maps, guns and strategies. It's also about knowing your skills and what you can and cannot do in a situation. Nothing will get your team killed like a cocky player who thinkls they can pull off stuff theyt can't.

No, I'm not making fun of you Dan... Often I'm that guy too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Bungie Day!

That's right, July 7th is devoted to all things Halo. This is, of course due to the obsession the company has for the #7 (It's everywhere in their games).

Last year they released a free map (Cold Storage) on BDay along with gamer pics & themes. This year? Well, nothing THAT epic. They've unvealed Bungie Video Pro (a sort of movie editor thingy for your halo 3 vids), shown off the new 3 maps coming, released a podcast about ODST with Nathan Fillion, and are offering the Bungie vs The World hopper for 24 hours. People who play in BvsTW can win all kinds of prizes too (not just people who win, in the past they've given prizes for things like most mongoose splatters, or team kills, ect.)

Anyways, see you online. ;)

• 8 months later...

Halo 3 < ODST. I hated Halo 3. It was all "Ooh! Big multiplayer! Wait, aren't we missing something? You! Nameless intern! Create a story mode." With ODST however, I couldn't put it down. it was so amazing, entirely the game I've waited for since Halo 1. Best of all, no wasting precious time with the stupid Flood! Man that game rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

ODST is the best Halo game released. Just thought I'd give my two cents :).

Now, I need some help. I need to get the Firefight Achievement. The one that unlocks the Armor (Endure) I think it is. It has to be 4 player co-op. I'm much more apt to play with people that I actually know rather than just random strangers. So, anyone wanna make it a Firefight Date ?!?! neo

• 3 weeks later...