UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Halo 3 Discussion

Hey folks! My sons finally got me going on the XBox 360 and Halo 3 is what we play most of the time. I recently created a Live account, so feel free to add me if you like "Boba Dadd".

Anyway, I am wondering if any of you gamers play Halo 3, because I am sucking at it badly. I am wondering what the best weapons are and if there is a trick to making kills. I can literally unload a machine gun on a guy and he won't go down, yet he will kill me with one trigger pull on his rifle. Whats up?!

Anyway, any hints, tips, tricks would be appreciated. List away...

I'm a casual video game player, and have Halo 3 (actually picked it back up after a long hiatus a few weeks ago). The two main tips I would give are: 1) aim at the head, as head shots are much more effective than body or limb-shots; and 2) learn how to do the "melee" rifle-swinging attack. This attack is very powerful, killing many foes in only one shot. If you can sneak up behind a Brute, you can even kill him with one of these hits, I think. If you hit him from the front, I think it takes 3 shots, but that is better than the 50 bullets or whatever it takes to kill him otherwise.

Other than that, learning how to attack and hide is critical. There are so many points in that game where there are snipers (a great weapon to have is sniper rifle, of course) or hordes of bad guys that you just can't attack all at once. Finding a good tree or cave area where you can hide and heal after making a few shots is crucial here.

If you are talking about playing online, I have no advice. Those guys seem to play all the time, and no matter how good I think I am, I end up looking pitiful against them. They just find a spot and snipe you, and it isn't fun to me.

I'm not on too much, but I believe my username is "Operational Code"

Edited by karamazov80

If you are talking about playing online, I have no advice. Those guys seem to play all the time, and no matter how good I think I am, I end up looking pitiful against them. They just find a spot and snipe you, and it isn't fun to me.

I agree with you there. Even my 12 year old son is deadly and can kill me repeatedly all while laughing hysterically. If i play online, I usually stick to the social arena as those guys are far more laid back. I die a lot, but I also average 4 or 5 kills. I even manage to score a double or triple kill every so often.

I am going to work on my head shots and try to figure out the melee feature. Thanks for the tips!

I JUST got a 360, so I'll be working on Halo 3 as well. I do want to say, however, that I hate that game. I HATE that game. They ruined and rushed the most important part of the game: the story. I don't care if 2 people from across the world can blow eachother up. They betrayed me on the story aspect in return for multiplayer.

"We've got a great multiplayer here!"

"Great! are we forgetting anything?"

"...no"

"Oh crap! Story mode!"

"Oh jeeze! When's the launch date?!"

"Next month!"

"Okay, we're good then. Throw something together. No one if going to pay attention to it anyways."

Anyways, yeah, I like Halo, but I'm not going to be out for these tournaments or heavy game or whatever. I'm gona sit back and play with the tamer crowds. Maybe I'll join you, Shane.

Yeah agreed, Multiplayer is frustrating for us old folks who cant be on it 24/7.

I'm really not a huge fan of the game but if you guys can get together and set up a multiverse members online game it might be fun espcially if I get to shoot Dinobot in the head repeatedly!!!

T.

Yeah agreed, Multiplayer is frustrating for us old folks who cant be on it 24/7.

I'm really not a huge fan of the game but if you guys can get together and set up a multiverse members online game it might be fun espcially if I get to shoot Dinobot in the head repeatedly!!!

T.

Heh. Sound like a party.

The best Halo 3 match I ever played was between me, a really good player, and... another guy. Who talked. And talked. And talked. He just wouldn't shut up about how good he was. It was like a 50 kill match. The good player and I had a fairly good time. The other guy kept cussing and screaming because he couldn't win, and we were obviously cheating. Int he end the good player had 36 kills, I had 14, and num nuts had 0. It was too much fun. And we weren't even teaming up on him! We'd be shooing at eachother, and he'd come running in screaming, throwing grenades everywhere, and both me and the good guy would turn, both unload our clips at him, one of us would peg him in mid air, and turn back and shoot at eachother again.

I turn the sound off during online play, as I don't need to hear 13 year olds cursing myself and each other out.

Yeah, I am experiencing this now. Normally, I play with my sons and their friends, so its a fairly closed game. lately, I've been joining up in public social rooms to play and the kiddie chatter is mind numbing. Everything is about "your Mom".

I ordered a couple more headsets so we can all "plug-in", but I imagine I will be doing a lot of muting.

Dinobot, I actually love Halo FOR the story.

Shane, there are a couple of us here who have logged more hours playing halo then we'd like to admit. That being said there are lots of important strategies and tactics that "the other guys" have. ;) 80% of Halo boils down to knowledge. It's very possible to beat someone of much higher skill than you if you know more about a spcific map or weapon than they do. I can't get into all the strategies here because you'd probably get bored. I suggest playing WITH someone who has experience and is interested in showing you the ropes.

Next time I'm online I'll send you a friend request.

The only thing I'm going to touch on is a little bit of Myth Busters.

DO NOT aim for the head in Halo. Common misconception. While you DO want to HIT the head, the bullets all spread. By aiming at the head only a small perceptage of your bullets actually hit (Even with accurate weapons like the Battle Rifle). You actually want to aim for the upper torso/neck. That way some of the bullets hit where you're aiming at (neck) while the others spread to the shoulders, stomach and head.

Myth: BUSTED. :D

Halo is definitely my top played game. I haven't been playing it much lately, as I've had a lot of school projects, reports, presentations, finals, etc., but I usually find some time to play for an hour or two on the weekends.

Anyone up for a MMMV Halo match? :D

Edited by the punisher=D

No problem Shane. ;)

Keep in mind though, I never said it was better. I said it was more accurate. The difference between Halo and most other shooters on the market is that no weapon is "better across board" than the others.

The needler is a great example. 8 shots with the needler (anywhere, head, legs, doesn't matter) will not only kill a person but turn them into a living grenade. They have a bit of seeking to them that doesn't come into play for quite a distance though. The problem? Unless you get 8 needles into your target it doesn't really hurt them at all.

Now, as Karam said if you're anywhere near a person you want to run towards them shooting until you get close enough to punch them, as melee does a great deal of damage.

(Also, another important trick: a punch to the back of the head is an assassination, or an instant kill)

If you're using a needler at close range fighting someone with an assault rifle and you each shoot each other 6 times and then punch each other you'll lose because your needles won't have hurt him.

See? At medium to long distances Needlers can be VERY effective (A sniper killer), but at close range? Useless.

The assault rifle is less accurate and has weaker bullets than the Battle Rifle, but a higher rate of fire. The BR is more of an elitist weapon than the assault rifle. Both weapons are very useful, so it really boil down to personal preferance.

Really? Everyone I've ever talked to felt it was cut short, was choppy, and pretty much got the shaft. If they'd spent 1/10th of the energy on the story that they spent on multiplayer, it could have been amazing.

Let me just say this. Cortana should have died. They were setting it up all throughout 2. AIs don't live that long, and she should have bit it, instead of being in a floating ship at the end that was just horrible.

On to of which! ...I miss my Halo 1 Human Pistol. Best weapon ever. :(

Really? Everyone I've ever talked to felt it was cut short, was choppy, and pretty much got the shaft. If they'd spent 1/10th of the energy on the story that they spent on multiplayer, it could have been amazing.

Let me just say this. Cortana should have died. They were setting it up all throughout 2. AIs don't live that long, and she should have bit it, instead of being in a floating ship at the end that was just horrible.

What? You don't like a good love story?

As for the HCE pistol... Yeah. Good times. Still though, the "balanced" H3 can't have a god gun. It just doesn't fit.

I would've liked a H3 pistol with a scope though.

Shane, there are a couple of us here who have logged more hours playing halo then we'd like to admit. That being said there are lots of important strategies and tactics that "the other guys" have. ;) 80% of Halo boils down to knowledge. It's very possible to beat someone of much higher skill than you if you know more about a spcific map or weapon than they do. I can't get into all the strategies here because you'd probably get bored. I suggest playing WITH someone who has experience and is interested in showing you the ropes.

DO NOT aim for the head in Halo. Common misconception. While you DO want to HIT the head, the bullets all spread. By aiming at the head only a small perceptage of your bullets actually hit (Even with accurate weapons like the Battle Rifle). You actually want to aim for the upper torso/neck. That way some of the bullets hit where you're aiming at (neck) while the others spread to the shoulders, stomach and head.

No problem Shane. ;)

Keep in mind though, I never said it was better. I said it was more accurate. The difference between Halo and most other shooters on the market is that no weapon is "better across board" than the others.

The needler is a great example. 8 shots with the needler (anywhere, head, legs, doesn't matter) will not only kill a person but turn them into a living grenade. They have a bit of seeking to them that doesn't come into play for quite a distance though. The problem? Unless you get 8 needles into your target it doesn't really hurt them at all.

Now, as Karam said if you're anywhere near a person you want to run towards them shooting until you get close enough to punch them, as melee does a great deal of damage.

(Also, another important trick: a punch to the back of the head is an assassination, or an instant kill)

If you're using a needler at close range fighting someone with an assault rifle and you each shoot each other 6 times and then punch each other you'll lose because your needles won't have hurt him.

See? At medium to long distances Needlers can be VERY effective (A sniper killer), but at close range? Useless.

The assault rifle is less accurate and has weaker bullets than the Battle Rifle, but a higher rate of fire. The BR is more of an elitist weapon than the assault rifle. Both weapons are very useful, so it really boil down to personal preferance.

:blink: GEEEK!!! ;)

T.

p.s. now if we do get an online game going I'm so going to get my ass handed to me by Master Nestle

What? You don't like a good love story?

As for the HCE pistol... Yeah. Good times. Still though, the "balanced" H3 can't have a god gun. It just doesn't fit.

I would've liked a H3 pistol with a scope though.

Balance, shmalance. I want my pistol back! 3 in the head, then melee. XD

By good story, I assume you mean happy? No, I don't.

I play some halo 3.... O.K i play a lot of halo 3 my suggestion for a good set of guns is the msmg's dual wield these, and you will literally S**T bullets, i'm down for a MMMV game :lol:

Edited by Kraven

No problem Shane. ;)

:blink: GEEEK!!! ;)

T.

p.s. now if we do get an online game going I'm so going to get my ass handed to me by Master Nestle

LOL. I'll admit, I deserve that.

Actually, my wife plays Halo with me, so in some convoluted sense of denial that makes it all okay. :P

Aside from GOW Shane, this is one of my favorite games. I've played it multiple times and done pretty good. I too, liked the story and I came in at the middle of it. Since then I've played the previous Halo games and have the gist of things. I'm actually looking forward to Kotobukiya's Cortan statue/figure(?). I remember last year at SDCC they didn't even have a pic :lol: Anyway, once I get my 360 issues resolved and get a new console and online, I'll let you know ;)

Add me to the list of lousy older players. I think once you hit your early-mid 20s, you are already starting to become a fossil on Xbox live. I've played with people who basically told me I wasn't that good, then they would find out that I'm actually 35, and all of a sudden they start patronizing me! It's kind of funny, but sad at the same time. I like to think I'm still at least somewhat cool, but I guess I'm not.

I play a lot of Swat on Halo. It's hard, because a single headshot kills you. It takes a lot of time to get used to it, but I prefer it over the standard team slayer game. I'll send you a friend request next time I'm on, Shane. My xbox tag is leg0guy (zero instead of the letter o) but I'm considering changing it to Bulbasaur, for comedic purposes of course. :P

I play a lot with my boys, so if we are ever on at the same time, maybe we can hook up.

I'm getting better! I think I made 7 kills in one game and thats a record for me. Aiming for the neck and sticking with the BR is a help for sure.

I think my wife is getting worried...

What does it mean when you try to join up in Matchmaking and it says you don't have the necessary maps? I have been doing most of my Live play in Matchmaking and am doing nothing different than usual. I tried to determine what I needed and get it, but info is very unclear.

I believe that you can download newer maps via the options link from the title screen or something. I don't remember doing this with Halo 3, but I did with Halo 2 for sure. They initially costed extra, but after a while became free.

Edited by karamazov80

It's easiest to search for them in the dashboard. Go to game add ons, Halo 3 and you'll find them. K is right, they come out, drop in price and eventually become free.

Currently you can get:

Heroic Map Pack (Free)

Cold Storage (Free)

Legendary Map Pack (400 pts)

Mythic Map Pack (800pts)

Most hoppers require you to AT LEAST have Heroic.