UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern Fan Trailer

Cloneme

Probably because he was in a great, geeky TV show turned movie, voiced a JLU character, and then co-starred in a great, geeky web-series. I think that if a decent actor shows a willingness to do those kinds of projects, and embraces them, then the geek community will become advocates for this person.

Personally, on his own merits, I think Fillion brings a great mix of comedic and action chops, and could be this generation's Bruce Willis-lite if the right kind of roles landed his way.

Just so we're clear...

"great, geeky TV show turned movie" - Firefly/Serenity?

"voiced a JLU character" - going by mabait's custom thread, Vigilante?

"co-starred in a great, geeky web-series" - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?

Funny thing is, I probably first became familiar with Nathan Fillion after he became a regular on this old romantic sitcom "Two Guys and a Girl" (which, coincidentally, also starred a younger Ryan Reynolds aka Deadpool). Beyond that, all I recognized him from were his stints on Buffy The Vampire Slayer (as a villainous priest of some sort) and on that movie Slither (God, I couldn't tell whether to laugh or be mortified at this one), then Firefly/Serenity.

Point is that while I'm as stumped as anybody as to the guys's cult following, I actually can imagine Fillion possibly going places in the not-so-distant future. I mean, if you can just imagine what guys like Will Smith and Robert Downey Jr. went through... I'm sure there are slightly worse things to be than to start out in some Hollywood nerd niche.

Just so we're clear...

"great, geeky TV show turned movie" - Firefly/Serenity?

"voiced a JLU character" - going by mabait's custom thread, Vigilante?

"co-starred in a great, geeky web-series" - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Never watched much Buffy, but I'm sure that helped him more than a bit toward establishing his geek credibility, and starring in a nod to the cult classic "Night of the Creeps" (i.e. "Slither") didn't hurt, either.

Nathan Fillion first came to my attention in Firefly which is/was one of the most outrageously different shows for many years.....I loved it. He's a great looking guy (I know I'm similar) & will go far if he gets the right parts. The Green Lantern is one of those comic-books I need to read ...purely because it must be good !!

We sure this is fan-made?? ;)

Seriously, that was great, and i give the guy his creds. And i love the actor as Hal, but even though i'm a huge part of the geek community i have no clue who Nathan Fillion is. Except for the fact that'd he be a great Hal Jordan...but with a domino mask. ;)

... and on that movie Slither (God, I couldn't tell whether to laugh or be mortified at this one) . . .

I think that was the intention - i laughed pretty heartily at this one. It was definately trying to make fun of the horror genre, while still being a bit gross/scary/exhilarating.

Wow...

Just...

Wow.

Never would have pegged him for Jordan, but man that worked.

I wish, WISH I had confidence WB was going to make a movie half that interesting.

Never would have pegged him for Jordan, but man that worked.

I have no problems with him but he is not who I would choose as Hal Jordan.

I wish, WISH I had confidence WB was going to make a movie half that interesting.

It could be worse it could be Fox!

After The Dark Knight the folks over at WB has my full confidence.

No... Chris Nolan has my confidence. WB still doesn't get it. Read all the ridiculous crap that is swirling around their Superman franchise. I get the impression that the folks at WB are embarrassed of their superheroes. They seem to think that costumes = silly. Superman can't fight anyone but Lex with Kryptonite, or Kryptonians in black without the films descending into camp. After Burton, WB execs drove the Bat franchise straight back to campy, and only Christopher Nolan's very strong, focused vision of Batman reignited the series. But reading interviews with WB execs after Dark Knight explain how they now understood how to make comic book movies, and how they were going to apply the dark and gritty Dark Knight style to their reimagined Superman franchise, I was struck by just how little they actually do understand about their own properties. Dark Knight and Begins worked for the same reason the Spider-Man films have worked (largely worked anyway): the Director understands and embraces the character and all his aspects. For Batman, that's grim and gritty, For Spider-Man, it's Parker luck, responsiblity, and quirk, semi-ridiculous coincidence. Superman and Green Lantern are not grim and gritty characters. Superman is about haveing the power to do whatever you want, but chooseing to do what's right anyway. Green Lantern is a sci-fi adventure, and a guy overcoming himself to reach his own pontential. And they wear bright colorful costumes, and fight people who also wear bright costumes with names like Bizarro and Sinestro and Goldface and Mxyzptlk. The situations are going to seem silly on their face, but sell it with conviction and the audience wil buy it. (Ask Doc Ock) How many DC projects have been widley publicized and fallen apart the last few years? WB is sitting on a stable of characters that pound for pound at least as recognizable as Marvel's, if not far more in most cases. Yet Ant-Man will likely get his movie long before Wonder Woman. (how good a movie it will be I can't say, but then really it can't get worse than Elektra)

Not saying Marvel is perfect. They've put out some stinkers over the last decade. But we've had Marvel movies spanning from Blade to Spider-Man on the character recognition scale. Some were good, some were watchable, some wished you could have that time back. But at least Marvel is out there trying. DC in the same time frame has done to very good Batman movies and a mediocre Superman movie. Everything else has fallen apart for them before they can even finalize a cast.

Sorry for the rant. But no, I have no faith the WB will pull this off. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

No... Chris Nolan has my confidence. WB still doesn't get it. Read all the ridiculous crap that is swirling around their Superman franchise. I get the impression that the folks at WB are embarrassed of their superheroes. They seem to think that costumes = silly. Superman can't fight anyone but Lex with Kryptonite, or Kryptonians in black without the films descending into camp. After Burton, WB execs drove the Bat franchise straight back to campy, and only Christopher Nolan's very strong, focused vision of Batman reignited the series. But reading interviews with WB execs after Dark Knight explain how they now understood how to make comic book movies, and how they were going to apply the dark and gritty Dark Knight style to their reimagined Superman franchise, I was struck by just how little they actually do understand about their own properties. Dark Knight and Begins worked for the same reason the Spider-Man films have worked (largely worked anyway): the Director understands and embraces the character and all his aspects. For Batman, that's grim and gritty, For Spider-Man, it's Parker luck, responsiblity, and quirk, semi-ridiculous coincidence. Superman and Green Lantern are not grim and gritty characters. Superman is about haveing the power to do whatever you want, but chooseing to do what's right anyway. Green Lantern is a sci-fi adventure, and a guy overcoming himself to reach his own pontential. And they wear bright colorful costumes, and fight people who also wear bright costumes with names like Bizarro and Sinestro and Goldface and Mxyzptlk. The situations are going to seem silly on their face, but sell it with conviction and the audience wil buy it. (Ask Doc Ock) How many DC projects have been widley publicized and fallen apart the last few years? WB is sitting on a stable of characters that pound for pound at least as recognizable as Marvel's, if not far more in most cases. Yet Ant-Man will likely get his movie long before Wonder Woman. (how good a movie it will be I can't say, but then really it can't get worse than Elektra)

Not saying Marvel is perfect. They've put out some stinkers over the last decade. But we've had Marvel movies spanning from Blade to Spider-Man on the character recognition scale. Some were good, some were watchable, some wished you could have that time back. But at least Marvel is out there trying. DC in the same time frame has done to very good Batman movies and a mediocre Superman movie. Everything else has fallen apart for them before they can even finalize a cast.

Sorry for the rant. But no, I have no faith the WB will pull this off. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

I think that what they mean about applying the Dark Knight formula is that they will approach the characters with the real world sensibility that made the dark knight so good. Sure it will be tougher with more fantastical characters like Superman and Green Lantern but it is not impossible. It all hinges on story, script, and director. Have faith brother.

Yeah, I have a hard time having faith in the WB when there is a sample size of 3 in the last few years, with 2 made by the same guys, and one questionably not being very good (I am being generous and not including Catwoman here). As Miry suggests, the fact that they haven't greenlit and got more DC related movies going at all is a crime in itself. If Marvel releases 10 movies, based on statistical probabilities you will probably like 2 or 3 of them. Hell, I liked Daredevil! And the rumors of a "gritty" Superman just make me sick.

But having said that, I can not believe that we have had 3 theatrical (I think) Punisher movies, Ghostrider, and 2 Fantastic Four films made by the guy behind "Barber Shop," but haven't yet had a serious, theatrically released Captain America movie. I know this one is in the pipeline, but surely we should have had one before the second Hulk or FF movie. What's up, Marvel?

And regarding Antman, if Edgar Wright is still slated to be making this one, then I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it becomes a huge geek hit.

But having said that, I can not believe that we have had 3 theatrical (I think) Punisher movies, Ghostrider, and 2 Fantastic Four films made by the guy behind "Barber Shop," but haven't yet had a serious, theatrically released Captain America movie. I know this one is in the pipeline, but surely we should have had one before the second Hulk or FF movie. What's up, Marvel?

My understanding was that Marvel was waiting for the deal they have going with Paramount. That is to say, they did not want to sell Cap to a studio that wasn't going to produce Iron Man and Thor as well, because then making an Avengers movie becomes liscencing Hell. Believe me, if they could grab the X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man franchises away from Fox and Sony, they would. (I would argue they should try... the sense of shared universe, heck shared New York City, is one of my favorite things about the MU.)

The less said about the guy behind Barber Shop, the better.

And they tried to make a Cap movie, they really did. Early 90's. I've seen a copy... shudder...

That makes some sense, but demonstrates a level of foresight that I don't typically associate with Marvel, or film studios.

Regarding the "movie," that was the reason for my focus on "serious" :P Their were also 2 previous Captain America "movies" that I used to have on tape, from either the late 70s or 80s, and they were also pretty bad. They seemed to be made for TV, similar to the old live action Spiderman TV movies from the 70s.

And if they wanted to change the Fantastic Four into a group of hair stylists, I have no doubt that that guy would have succeeded brilliantly, but it did seem an odd choice for an action film.

Edited by karamazov80