UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 control art at Minimate Headquarters!

NorthRaider

In fairness, MisterMiracle has probably got. . .Mr. Miracle on the brain. There is another great character we never got Minimatized :(

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

Spider-girl: The face looks great! and the rest of the body looks different enough from Ben IMO. I like it!

USW: looks good, but as she's the chase, I don't have too much of a desire to get her.

HOM Spidey: ... doesn't he look somewhat familiar? Not different enough form any other red suit spidey to really excite me. and beside, I liked the slip-on masks! I like being able to take off his mask. but on one like this, the mask can be swapped out for any other red suited mask....

Insulated Spidey: Now this is more like it! It's a unique look, as far as Spidey suits go. I like this one too!

Electro: What can I say? Perfect! I don't really see whats so bad about the mask, but maybe I need to look again...

Scorpion: Looks great, but why no slip-on Mask!? Mac as Venom has no unmasked face, Mac as Scorp has no unmasked face... I guess they are saving it for the Dark Avengers set, but I really have no interest in that set. bet They are using the unmasked Mac face as incentive to further boost the appeal of an (IMO) rather unappealing set, but.... Come on DST, don't play me like that ;P other then that rant, Scorpy looks superb!

Vault Guard: Knowing nothing about this guy, I think he looks pretty good! I see some similarities to War Machine, but because those can be taken off if you want, it's not that be of a deal!

Final Thought: Not a bad wave at all! the only real dud for me is HOM, but I wasn't expecting much outtta him anyway! :spiderham:

Edited by Skids

Thanks for sharing. I don't remember the Vault Guardsmen being armored up like War Machine? Does that look ever show up in the comic?

I have searched my vast library of comics and eliminated the Vault Guardsman "War Machine" version of the armor from the following comics below. Comics I have NOT searched are marked below in RED:

A

Comics:Avengers Annual Vol 1 15

Comics:Avengers Spotlight Vol 1 26

Comics:Avengers Spotlight Vol 1 29 - I have a hunch this is our best bet. Tony redesigns the Vault armor in this issue. I don't have this issue, so search away!

Comics:Avengers Vol 1 236

Comics:Avengers Vol 1 237

Comics:Avengers: The Vault The Deathtrap Tradepaperback

Comics:Avengers: Unplugged Vol 1 1

Comics:Avengers: West Coast Vol 1 89

C

Comics:Captain America Annual Vol 1 10

Comics:Captain America Vol 1 340

Comics:Captain America Vol 1 382

Comics:Captain America Vol 1 408

D

Comics:Damage Control Vol 2 1

F

Comics:Force Works Vol 1 2

Comics:Force Works Vol 1 12

Comics:Force Works Vol 1 13

H

Comics:Heroes for Hire Vol 1 1

I

Comics:Iron Man Annual Vol 1 8

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 45

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 46

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 98

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 105

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 108

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 214

Comics:Iron Man Vol 1 228

M

Comics:Marvel Comics Presents Vol 1 53

Comics:Marvel Comics Presents Vol 1 54

N

Comics:New Warriors Vol 1 36

Comics:New Warriors Vol 1 43

Q

Comics:Quasar Vol 1 6

Comics:Quasar Vol 1 10

Comics:Quasar Vol 1 35

Comics:Quasar Vol 1 51

V

Comics:Venom: Lethal Protector 1

Comics:Venom: Lethal Protector 2

Comics:Vision and the Scarlet Witch Vol 2 1

Comics:Vision and the Scarlet Witch Vol 2 7

Let's see if anyone can find a comic reference to "War Machine" Vault Guardsman.

Edited by Jatta Pake

Let's see if anyone can find a comic reference to "War Machine" Vault Guardsman.

I can't recall having even seen a Guardsman in a long, long time. IIRC there was a group of "Rogue Guardsman" called "the Jury" that wore variations of the Guardsman armor, but in different color schemes and different weaponry. There might have been one with shoulder cannons. Closest I can think of and then not 100% on that.

All in all it's not a bad design even with the cannons. 3 characters I wanted, and a welcome surprise army builder.

And on the subject of wings: if they were that happy with the guantlet wings they put on Man-Bat, don't you think they'd have made Sauron by now? Just a thought.

I do have some questions though that I pose to the more experienced member of the group. I only have experience Marvel and DC minimates so for you guys that pick up everything this may be a no-brainer. On these design sheets, several parts are listed as recycled that I can't recall seeing before. Can you guy help identify them?

On the Vault Guardsman, I dont recognize the boots or gloves. On Spider-Woman and May, I don't recognize either hair piece immediately. I'm just curious where they've appeared before. None of their sheets say they are using any new parts, so they must have come from somewhere. Or is this simply my inexperience at looking at these design sheets show?

I do have some questions though that I pose to the more experienced member of the group. I only have experience Marvel and DC minimates so for you guys that pick up everything this may be a no-brainer. On these design sheets, several parts are listed as recycled that I can't recall seeing before. Can you guy help identify them?

On the Vault Guardsman, I dont recognize the boots or gloves. On Spider-Woman and May, I don't recognize either hair piece immediately. I'm just curious where they've appeared before. None of their sheets say they are using any new parts, so they must have come from somewhere. Or is this simply my inexperience at looking at these design sheets show?

It seems that DST has redacted the information about what pieces are reused on the newer concept art they are showing.

As for reuses, that just comes with spending WAY too much time around minimates ;)

T.

my favs in this wave are all the non-spider-guys characters :D

just out of sheer coincidence though. I love the way electro looks and that they did his gloves amazingly

and war machi... VAULT GUARD, yeah. he looks great too

but scorpion takes the cake. then he eats it. and he doesn't share any either. not with you, or me.

but especially not with electro :angry: (?) haha

Edited by killcharlesdead

They have done wings with Hawkman/woman, Wasp, and Angel, at least, and a wing-like cape for Storm. I don't think that would be much of an issue for them, nor would be the tail. They have found very cool and effective ways for doing whatever they need to (look at Slimer, for instance).

The Lizard face, however, is another issue, as this could be a major "philosophical" (or licensing) question--how far should/can they go? We have seen sculpted faces on Marvel characters (as recently as Blob), but nothing as extreme as Lizard, as I recall. Personally, I would like to see both a sculpted snout and a regular Minimate head underneath with Lizard (not Dr. Connor's) face painted on as well, so we could have the option.

I think that's a fantastic idea. In fact, it could be an example of how the Lizard's head has changed from his first appearance (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/mengblom/spidey_week/04_lizard.jpg ) to later on (http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/lizard-statue.jpg ).

As for the Vulture, I keep thinking of the wings being attached to braclet rings that would fit on at the wrist and be pushed up the arm to nearly the elbow.

Also, great to see the chest tampo that'll be a comic accurate Vault Gaurdsman. That makes the clout of this Spidey-themed wave raise a little bit, now that I'm over the initial disappointment of no Lizard or Vulture.

After all, how great would it be to get a boxed set of:

Lizard

Vulture

Morbius

Six-Armed Spider-Man

?

Edited by Mystery Man

Vulture and for a possible future Minimate version of Falcon I think would incorporate the backpack design Archangel and Wasp have for their wings and then have connectors on the wings for the wrists of the figures so they can still move their arms around a bit.

Seems to be be the best way it could be done., but maybe they could surprise us and do something completely different. Obviously though the wings are a big part of the characters.

On Lizard, I like the idea presented of having a sculpted head and a minimate head version underneath. Lizard though is definitely going to involve creating a lot of new parts I think with his tail, torn up lab coat, and if they do the head route.

Scorpion and Electro though for now are welcome additions to the Spidey Rogue gallery, but also show how bad the Doc Ock in the line is even more so in need of an update.

Someone may have mentioned this and I've just missed it but I find it interesting that some of the mates in these 2 most recent waves have design sheets that are over a year old.

Electro - 1/31/08

Dare Devil (armored) - 2/4/08

Hydra Agent - 2/5/08

Not saying this indicates anything but it does make me wonder what AA may have filed away for a future mate. I'd have to go back and look at the old design sheets for the other army builders but this would indicate that this has been planned for a while. Also Storm's lightning accessory wouldn't exactly be "hers" as they've had it on the Electro sheet for a while.

I'm not to familiar with the design/manufacturing process so this may be entirely normal but it got my mind turning on the possibilities.

I'm quite disappointed with this wave, with the exception of Electro, Scorpion and Vault Guard, they missed an opportunity for original characters, I was expecting/hoping to see:

Lizard

Vulture

Tombstone

Morbius

Doppleganger

Shriek

maybe a Rhino or Kingpin update?

Instead we get even more multiple Spidermen/Women & Girls :blink:

So over at Corner Store Comics, they have preorders up for this wave, and alongside the preorders...

There's pictures of the actual prototypes!

mmm30_L.jpg

My want of this wave just went straight up, considering that wave 29 actually looks a little iffy...

EDIT::

I just realized there's no prototype for Ultimate Spider-Woman. I wonder why?

Edited by Kamsm8

Thanks for sharing!

Especially the guys in the background look great!

Mattress Spidey's dark anthracite gray color looks nice, but I don't really need to own him. Same with the other two Spideys. (Although I do know that brother Karamazov is totally in love with HoM Spidey's new mask...)