UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 control art at Minimate Headquarters!

NorthRaider

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I like them. They are no arnim zola or baron zemo, but they are nice. I always wanted to see electro's mask on a mate and it looks like it will be cool. Now Im more curious as to how they would attach a tail for the lizard since he doesn't have a backpack. Also, I am totally with TM2 on this. I cant stand the older minimates that dont have a needed tampo going around the body. Witchblade is a brime example of a cool mate failing from an incomplete tampo.

I liked ult spiderwoman's story and I was hoping this mate would be cool, but we dont even get the full costume. They do have time to correct this, maybe paint her girly face on the other side of the head and flip it like the secret invasion skrull heads did, and the costume tampo can still be fixed. This is just control art, they got all the way to paint proto's for marvel zombies with the hulk looking one way, and the chest tampo changed to a crappier one. So, any paint issues here may not be a problem if we talk about it enough (and Matt reads our comments on it).

When does the game for 31 start? :)

Now Im more curious as to how they would attach a tail for the lizard since he doesn't have a backpack.

Seems like the simplest way would be to create a new "large crotch" slip-over piece with a peg on it; and you could pop the one- or two-piece tail over the peg (or the tail could have a peg that fit into a hole on the crotch piece). Only problem I would foresee is that Lizard will probably come with white lab-coat, so there would have to be a gap in the back for the tail to fit between. Or, there could be a peg on (or hole in) the lab-coat itself. . .

Edited by karamazov80

Since DST Matt is lurking about, I'll add another voice of support for not using slipover masks on red Spidey heads... and I love that the Insulated basically gives us an extra Spidey head for retrofitting some of the slipover mates past.

I am actually annoyed by the switch back to regular heads and not slip on masks... I dont like the slip on masks BUT please DST give us some kind of continuity, stick with one or the other!

I don't really understand the continuity thing, T, unless you've got your display divided into before and after, or chronological or something? My mates are all mixed up, so it makes no difference... I'd rather they just go by what looks best for the character.

Anyways, the wave looks pretty great! Biggest surprise for me: actually wanting Spidergirl (even though I hate that book), and not digging Spiderwoman (even though I love Ult. Spidey).... guess some character designs are just better suited for mates IMO.

Now Im more curious as to how they would attach a tail for the lizard since he doesn't have a backpack.

Seems like the simplest way would be to create a new "large crotch" slip-over piece with a peg on it; and you could pop the one- or two-piece tail over the peg (or the tail could have a peg that fit into a hole on the crotch piece). Only problem I would foresee is that Lizard will probably come with white lab-coat, so there would have to be a gap in the back for the tail to fit between. Or, there could be a peg on (or hole in) the lab-coat itself. . .

I think that really is your holdup on both the Lizard and the Vulture- they haven't figured out exactly how they want to do it. I'd be dollars to donughts there's a ton of design sketches and mockups floating around their office while they try and figure out the most cost effective way to make those two look good. For the Lizard, it's a double debate, since we're not just talking about the tail and lab coat, but the head as well. I'm sure the arguement has been had here on this board and in the AA/DST office about whether or not the Lizard should have a plain round head, or something that denotes the snout. With the Vulture, it's all about the wings. And once they work those out I am sure both the Vulture and the Falcon will be showing up. Until that gets worked out, they'll keep being put off for another wave.

They have done wings with Hawkman/woman, Wasp, and Angel, at least, and a wing-like cape for Storm. I don't think that would be much of an issue for them, nor would be the tail. They have found very cool and effective ways for doing whatever they need to (look at Slimer, for instance).

The Lizard face, however, is another issue, as this could be a major "philosophical" (or licensing) question--how far should/can they go? We have seen sculpted faces on Marvel characters (as recently as Blob), but nothing as extreme as Lizard, as I recall. Personally, I would like to see both a sculpted snout and a regular Minimate head underneath with Lizard (not Dr. Connor's) face painted on as well, so we could have the option.

Edited by karamazov80

They have done wings with Hawkman/woman, Wasp, and Angel, at least, and a wing-like cape for Storm. I don't think that would be much of an issue for them, nor would be the tail. They have found very cool and effective ways for doing whatever they need to (look at Slimer, for instance).

Thing is Amigo, there's a difference here.

The wings on the Vulture and Falcon are not on the back (discounting Ultimate Vulture) but on the arms. So to keep articulation, character accuracy, and important things like that, they have to have arm wings. So to create that may be a pain.

I was thinking about the old Secret Wars Falcon, and didn't remember old Vulture, but I still think it is a fairly straight forward fix--you put them on the back of the arms, facing outward at an angle so that you can see them from the front. We've seen gauntlets and things, and the wings would be attached to them.

Thing is Amigo, there's a difference here.

The wings on the Vulture and Falcon are not on the back (discounting Ultimate Vulture) but on the arms. So to keep articulation, character accuracy, and important things like that, they have to have arm wings. So to create that may be a pain.

My guess?

Some kind of arm-band type thing, similar to how Apocalypses wires ran into his gloves. There would be an arm band on the forearm section, with an attached wing segment on it, as well as another on the upper arm section (Possibly) with another attached wing.

Simple, doesn't require extensive retooling, and would allow for a maintaining of articulation.

The only thing I see wrong with THIS theory is trying to make these out of plastic, seeing as AA have never really used anything thinner than rubber(Or rubber-y stuff).

But we'll see when the time comes.

One part of the wings could be attached to a thin wrist band, and another set attached to a thin upper arm band, similar to how I did my Sauron custom, except mine are glued on. But this would allow the figure to keep the full motion of his arms, and for them to look good at any angle.

Edit: Kamsm8 beat me to it. :)

Edited by luke314pi

Well - not a bad round. . . . not a great one, but that's probably just because i'm biased towards X-Men & Old Skool Avengers characters.

I'm not too disapointed with the designs. As it's been stated earlier in the thread - we are getting a whole heap of sculpted pieces and new parts for wave 29 - so i can understand making a few simpler characters to keep the costs in check. And even with that in mind - we are getting some awesome sculpting on both Electro & Scorpian. May's hair is brilliant, i may have to buy one for a Wasp custom.

And i'm pretty impressed that Scorpians rivets & armour lines go ALL the way around his arms, chest & legs. I hope this stays the case when it comes to the actual production of him.

And i for one, like the darkened face on Ultimate Spider Woman - it guves her a bit more punch & makes her look kind of mysterious i guess.

In all fairness - i think this is a pretty decent wave, and that it would have been a killer if HOM SpiderMan had been replaced with a Vulture or Symbiote. But, for the sake of keeping costs down & 'spacing out' the villains - i understand why he wasn't.

I think i'd give the wave a C+ or B-. Above average, showing great potential - but let down by a couple of uninspiring results.

One part of the wings could be attached to a thin wrist band, and another set attached to a thin upper arm band, similar to how I did my Sauron custom, except mine are glued on. But this would allow the figure to keep the full motion of his arms, and for them to look good at any angle.

Edit: Kamsm8 beat me to it. :)

A simliar idea to what you guys have mentioned is the way ManBat was treated:

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=249

I love the villains in this wave. Electro rocks! Looks like Scorpion won't have a bendy tail, but at least it's articulated. I'm pretty neutral about the Spider-Men, Spider-Girl is nice (at least we get her with a removable mask) and Ultimate Spider-Woman is a lame choice for a variant. There's way to many Spidey characters to do before her. Where's my aunt May? As with most of the comments here, Guardsman is lame-o! Are we to call him Green Machine?

After thinking about it, I understand why the lizard didnt make it. imagin an extra crotch piece with a tail attached like scorpian, a removable lab coat with a hole in the back for the tail plug to go through, a sculpted slip over head, curt connors sad looking self underneath, a hairpiece, sculpted lizard hands that fit like gloves do with torn shirt sculpted around it, alternate human hands and an extra half arm where the end is sculpted to look like his sleave is folded up and pinned. Maybe a regular arm with it and the lizard can have his own arms with venom claw hands. I can even see more parts, but if they are going to do the lizard, maybe they are witing to be able to do him where he can turn into connors?

Vulture, new neck piece and wings. An arm band with the wings sculpted on would be neat, and I could also see them doing something like the man bat mate for C3. Oh, and he would need feather wristbands. Feathers are cool.

Edited because Nessex beat me to the man bat punch!

Edited by arnim zola

Why is Electro's mask yellow and black? Shouldn't it be yellow and green?

Yes. And the sky is purple. And the oceans are pink...oh dammit i forgot about Jaws. Screw the sarcasm, here's a pic:

electro.gif

I's accurate, amigo.

All in all, though i hadn't wanted to, i like the wave. I absolutely love Mayday, and Ultimate Spider-Woman is a fav Ultimate of mine, so i love her too. Bu where the #$#@ is my back tampo dammit?!

Insulated is just made of win. And is vanilla creme-filled. Mmm...:P

Vaultie i wanted to love but don't. When i first saw it i was like "When the hell did War Machine go gre- OMG that's the Vault Guard..."

Electro and Scorpion?? I should be more familiar with them but aren't, but happy you all got them anyway!!

I gotta say, i'm really just buying this for the Women. The others just happened to be packed-in with them. :P And i don't feel that Ult. Spidey-chick is a bad vairant at all; i know i'll be hunting multiples of her.

Not an entirely-sucky wave, just brought down a bit compared to 27-29. I like it.