UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 control art at Minimate Headquarters!

NorthRaider

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/?p=351

EDIT: In my haste to post the link I forgot to actually LOOK at the art...

EDIT2: Okay, a careful examination of what we're getting:

-Scorpion's tail gets actual articulation?!? Wow... how will DST keep him standing?

-(Not-so-)Surprisingly I find Insulated Spider-Man pretty cool-looking. Love his markings, makes him so space-age.

-I love Mayday's civvie face... yeah, from the neck down she's just Ben Reilly with boobs but facially she's a real doll. I love her cropped hairpiece, and her expression might be suitable for, oh say... a Mary Jane custom?

-That's right, follks... Electro's getting Jim Lee Storm's lightning blast. I'm a little boggled by how they're doing the mask though...

-Ultimate Gender-bender Peter... yup, pretty minimalist. Still not bad, I'm just glad it's not using the NXM Jean Grey hairpiece!!!!

-Vault Guardsman: I'm gonna echo a comment on the MMHQ blog: "Green War Machine" :blink:

-House of M Spidey... for a quick second there I thought I was looking at Spider-Girl. :huh:

EDIT3: I'm sensing a pattern here... all-green army builders (Skrulls, HYDRA, Vault Guards...)

Edited by NorthRaider

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A total of 7 "new" pieces in the whole wave, telling me that part of the decision for this wave was to save some money, which is cool. Actually really digging the Vault Guard guy, and Electro and Scorpion look as great as one might expect.

Big surprise is actually the return of the non-sheath Spidey mask! I'm really happy about this, and hope that the color on at least one of them will match up with either the 4 pack or wave 24 Spideys. I love the detail on them, but their huge heads just don't do it for me.

--edit: Electro-proof Spidey head looks just about perfect!--

Edited by karamazov80

Awesome :)

I'm a little dissapointed that Scorpion's tail isn't fully bendy, but at least it's poseable. And since insulated Spidey has no Web-Symbols on him, you can leave his mask on and pretend he's someone else!

New gloves for Electro too, and Spider-Girl's face and hair would be pretty good for a Wasp quick custom :)

But why no web-lines for anyone?

Edited by Vigilante

Big surprise is actually the return of the non-sheath Spidey mask! I'm really happy about this, and hope that the color on at least one of them will match up with either the 4 pack or wave 24 Spideys. I love the detail on them, but their huge heads just don't do it for me.

I hope they'll match too. The larger head size just didn't sit well with me either on those head-masks slip-ons. As it is, I've got my "main Spidey" sporting the Amazing Fantasy head. It's sweet!

Electro and Scorpion look fantastic. A little confused about the Vault fellow having War Machine armor. I don't recall them having the guns on their backs, much less the detailed armor. They always looked very streamlined to me. Still, it looks great.

Woah woah woah! They totally screwed up USW's design. No side tampos? No BACK tampo? That's part of her appear that her design goes all the way around. It's like a Black Spidey with the white spider only in the front. WTF? Also, I don't hate the hair, but this is one time where I think Rachel hair might have been okay. Also, a large black shadow blob in the middle of her face? WHY? Oh man I was SO looking forward to her!

Electro, shocker spidey and Scorpion are all awesome. May looks surprisingly well done. House of M is definitely the low ball this round. Vault Guard is probably the biggest surprise.

This must be the official wave breakdown:

Electro/Insulated Spidey

Scorpion/House of M Spidey

Vault Guardsman/Spider-Girl

variant: Ultimate Spider-Woman

Soooooooooooo... is Vault Machine comic-accurate?

Edited by NorthRaider

Yeah so if anyone wants to trade for a spare electro and scorpion let me know when these come out.

Having seen the control art I'm totally underwhelmed by this wave, 4 spidey variants I dont need and a guardsman that is dubious because of its parts reuse.

I am actually annoyed by the switch back to regular heads and not slip on masks... I dont like the slip on masks BUT please DST give us some kind of continuity, stick with one or the other!

T.

p.s. Great job on getting the scoop at MMHQ Drgn!

Let's examine this here for a moment, shall we? http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/wp-con...pider-woman.jpg

1) USW has a removable half mask that covers her face but let's her hair flow. Much like Batgirl/Batwoman, a hairy hood might have been better.

2) That initial image of USW is far and above over used, and because she's in shadows, it's fairly inaccurate. Here's a better shot, still not great but there it is. http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/d...?image_id=30143

3) I REALLY wanted a face under the mask so I could do this post-51-1242234395_thumb.jpg

4) the hair is too detailed. It shouldn't be a brick, but it shouldn't look like it got run through the shredder either. Maybe they were going for an airblown look.

5) over all, Not horrible. A few back tampos would appease me. A new head and/or mask would have me back to my elated self.

I have faith DST. I still love you and I love this wave. Just get one of my all time favorite characters right please! ^-^

post-51-1242234442_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242234463_thumb.jpg

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Spidergirl: does nothing form me

Ultimate Spiderwoman: It may sound strong but its ugly ugly.

Electro: Good figure I would put it the strongest of the set.

Scorpion: Another good figure but I think they have missed the chance with not having a slip on mask and being able to remove tail spike to get modern and classic look.

House of M Spidey: Like the Spidergirl nothing to shout about.

Guardsman: Best thing about this figure is being able to take off all the Warmachine parts and get a comic accurate look.

Insulated Spidey: having seen the control art I actually fell worse about this figure then before. A slip on mask over a another mask?...Oh wait I get it the way they are packed the figures always have the slip ons off the heads in the boxes. This way it looks like a spidey mask and the kids in the toy aisles will buy it where as with the blue mask on they have no idea who the person is.

IMO. All in all very weak wave Only the 2 villains do it for me.

Personally, I kind of like series 30. Yeah, it stinks that we're getting a Spidey-heavy wave, but at least these aren't all retreads on the older figures.

I wouldn't have minded slip on masks for HoM Spidey and Scorpion. With everyone else getting removable masks, it seems kind of odd to pass over those two. Especially HoM Spidey, since he wouldn't need a hairpiece.

I like that Vault Guard and that Spider-girl, glad they're in the same set so I only need one.

Scorpion makes me wonder if Dark Avengers Spidey will have a block-head since he'd be the only Mac with a slip on mask if he doesn't and if Thunderbolts Venom has that tail since it would save cost to use the piece on two different mates.

AWESOME

What's interesting though is that they don't consider the lightning on Electro as a reused piece from Storm. I'm really liking Scorpion, but I thought they would have used Mr. Fantastic's bendy arm. At least it won't have those ugly holes lol. With the Vault Guards I can reenact Separation Anxiety >:D Just need some rainbow Symbiotes... I'll probably buy the variant and chuck her and Spider-Girl on eBay (or out the window). HoM is pretty meh but Insulated Spidey is pretty cool.

Still, another whole wave that I'm willing to buy so that's good. I'm glad I don't have Tony Stark War Machine so I won't get sick of Vault Guard.

Scorpion: Another good figure but I think they have missed the chance with not having a slip on mask and being able to remove tail spike to get modern and classic look.

It looks like a totally separate piece since it's painted and listed under the color section.

Edited by Dio

Soooooooooooo... is Vault Machine comic-accurate?

If you take off the War Machine chest piece, it's actually pretty close!

I didn't spot the regular chest tampo before I grumbled about it above.

So now I need 3 to trade for 3 of this wave ;)

What is odd is it looks like the with warmachine parts is emulating this

Odd that DST would emulate another non comic accurate toy as they have been pretty good about keeping things comic accurate!

T.

p.s. did anyone read the paint descriptions, we are gettnig this one in metallic paint!

p.s. did anyone read the paint descriptions, we are gettnig this one in metallic paint!

Hey, he is! And so is Scorpion! :D

Heh heh, I've always been a sucker for the subtly pearlescent-looking mates, like Wave 21 Iron Man, Polaris, DCD Flash, Heroes boxset Captain America (if only he wasn't spoiled by that ill-fitting mask :()... I really have to pay closer attention to concept art...

(Hey, Black Panther is getting metallic accents! And so is Daredevil! And Storm! :P)

I absolutely love this wave i am a big spuidey fan!!!

they all look great and the only one i dont know is spiderwoman and vault guy but they still look cool!!

so could people stop dissing this wave please!!!

Well, it looks like wave 29 got the parts budget. Electro and Scorpion do look fantastic, and confirm for me that we'll get a great Vulture sooner than later.

I'm surprised HoM Spidey didn't get a slip mask. Peter's close-cropped hair from that story was one of his most unique looks, and would have made a lot of sense as a face tampo.

Also, a sculpted Guardsman mask would have been cool.

I'm surprised HoM Spidey didn't get a slip mask. Peter's close-cropped hair from that story was one of his most unique looks, and would have made a lot of sense as a face tampo.

Ignoring the peg hole, would any other Peter Parker head do? I don’t remember anything different other than being bald.

And I’m ecstatic for no slip-on mask! They make Spidey look… unflattering. And I can’t see a reason (other than rehashing old figures) that would make a Spidey look good, except maybe Spider-Hulk. I’m going to reserve my judgment on the slip-on for Insulated Spidey but I like what I see right now.

I absolutely love this wave i am a big spuidey fan!!!

they all look great and the only one i dont know is spiderwoman and vault guy but they still look cool!!

so could people stop dissing this wave please!!!

*huggles* It's okay. I feel the same way.