UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Villains

A boxed set is the answer, really. The Brotherhood is an important part of the history of Marvel's most popular team. And, with the release of the Thunderbolts set, we now have precedence for an all villains boxed set. So what we need to do is put in bug in DST's ear that we want a Brotherhood boxed set for next summer's convention season.

Which Brotherhood? Probably the best known grouping overall is Mystique's first one so Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, and Destiny. Yeah, I know, nothing sells toys like blind old woman in shorts and thigh highs. But Raven's been made already, and while making one of her more modern outfits is probably in order, they have already produced her in the costume she was wearing when the attacked the Senator.

Sorry, Toad, but you're on your own.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be nice to start some "X-Men" and "Avengers" waves similar to the recent and future Spidey ones--with roughly a 1:1 villains to heroes ratio. Throwing in another Thor with female Ultron (whatever her name is) or another Wolverine or Nightcrawler with Arcade would probably move more sets than a box set with 4 relatively unknown baddies (such as the Brotherhood).

Edited by karamazov80

You know, this arguement about characters being recognized by kids and stuff... Does it really apply that much in Minimates? I mean, are there a lot of kids that collect the line versus collectors?

I can't comment on the actual numbers, but I imagine there is some kid recognition involved. For instance, look at how big of a presence Spider-Man holds on the license as a whole. If it were strictly a matter of collectors, then would we need the 30+ variations? And I can tell you that his webbed face does make an impact. I was showing my little brother the control art for series 29 and 30, and the ones that he announced were ones he must have were *gasp* the Spider-variants in series 30.

That's not to say that characters like Pyro couldn't fly, if the character had a look that really appealed to the masses. I'd just say expect him to need a little boost from a more popular X-Man.

You know, this arguement about characters being recognized by kids and stuff... Does it really apply that much in Minimates? I mean, are there a lot of kids that collect the line versus collectors?

I can't comment on the actual numbers, but I imagine there is some kid recognition involved. For instance, look at how big of a presence Spider-Man holds on the license as a whole. If it were strictly a matter of collectors, then would we need the 30+ variations? And I can tell you that his webbed face does make an impact. I was showing my little brother the control art for series 29 and 30, and the ones that he announced were ones he must have were *gasp* the Spider-variants in series 30.

That's not to say that characters like Pyro couldn't fly, if the character had a look that really appealed to the masses. I'd just say expect him to need a little boost from a more popular X-Man.

We got Gamora and Spymaster recently. I think you're overestimating how much recognition a Marvel character needs to be 'mated....

You should realize that that wave was the exception to the rule. Every once in a blue moon a "what?" wave pops up, that I can only assume is filled with favorites of the people over at DST, but how many box sets don't have Spidey, Wolvie, Iron Man, Cap, or Hulk, or a variation on one of these guys. How many Marvel waves don't have at least one of these? Even the Gamora wave has War Machine.

Edited by karamazov80

We got Gamora and Spymaster recently. I think you're overestimating how much recognition a Marvel character needs to be 'mated....

Spymaster was bundled with an Iron Man variation. And I could point to a bunch of Gamora/Nova sets on shelves in my local comic shop that would suggest that the random characters don't have as much selling power as you'd want to believe.

We get a lot more waves that tend to revolve around one of the big names than we get ones with a hodge podge assortment of secondary characters.

I think it would be nice to start some "X-Men" and "Avengers" waves similar to the recent and future Spidey ones--with roughly a 1:1 villains to heroes ratio. Throwing in another Thor with female Ultron (whatever her name is) or another Wolverine or Nightcrawler with Arcade would probably move more sets than a box set with 4 relatively unknown baddies (such as the Brotherhood).

A bearded (but non-masked) Thor would be the bee's knees. Put that with Kang and a couple others and it's a winner. Or so I think.

Spymaster was bundled with an Iron Man variation. And I could point to a bunch of Gamora/Nova sets on shelves in my local comic shop that would suggest that the random characters don't have as much selling power as you'd want to believe.

We get a lot more waves that tend to revolve around one of the big names than we get ones with a hodge podge assortment of secondary characters.

I'm not making the argument we should do a wave of all obscure characters, just that I think there's been too much weight placed on character recognition by the "casual fan" as primary selection criteria around here lately.

Being too conservative with character choices will kill the line just as fast as overpacking it with obscure characters.

Minimates have existed for how long now? ;)

I wasn't joking earlier. I went back through every wave so far released, and only noticed two waves that didn't have any of the characters I mentioned--wave 11 (Rogue/Iceman/Firestar) and 16 (Thor wave).

Though we can (and do) always complain about something, DST/AA have done a great job of mixing things up with the more popular and more obscure characters, IMO, thus maximizing their sell-ability by attracting both casual and geeky clientèle.

Edited by karamazov80

But are we not getting a set with what amounts to one descently known Spider-villain, (in name only) a civillian version of a well known Spider-villain, a long time third stringer, and the man who was once

Speedball

? I'm not going to pretend my idea isn't dicey, but IF this T-Bolts set works out and does well, I think that opens the door to other villain team sets.

Or just split the difference, throw out Destiny and add a battle damaged Wolverine. Don't think they've made that one yet.

If T-Bolts sell out quickly, then you may have be right. . .but I betcha it won't ;) In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if this is the lowest selling set yet for DST. I'm not hoping this, I actually applaud DST for having the guts to release a set like this. . .but I'm not optimistic for its chances based on the characters included.

Also, I personally consider Venom a Spiderman variant, and figure this figure will move the most sets on its own.

Edited by karamazov80

If T-Bolts sell out quickly, then you may have be right. . .but I betcha it won't ;) In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if this is the lowest selling set yet for DST. I'm not hoping this, I actually applaud DST for having the guts to release a set like this. . .but I'm not optimistic for its chances based on the characters included.

In truth, agree with you 100%.

But I really, really hope we're both wrong.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that AA/DST is hoping the same thing.

If only cause they hate losing money. ;)

Or just split the difference, throw out Destiny and add a battle damaged Wolverine. Don't think they've made that one yet.

If this comes to pass, i will hold YOU personally accountable, hunt you down & slap you with a wet trout.

LOL - Joking. . . kinda (but not really) ;)

Apart from Freedom Force, Hellfire Club, and Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (must have an updated Juggernaut w/powerhouse piece), I would also like to see Mimic, Arcade, some 2-inch Sentinels, Reavers, Marauders, Mojo, and Proteus.

Can't they make a 3-inch Sentinel?

Apart from Freedom Force, Hellfire Club, and Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (must have an updated Juggernaut w/powerhouse piece), I would also like to see Mimic, Arcade, some 2-inch Sentinels, Reavers, Marauders, Mojo, and Proteus.

Can't they make a 3-inch Sentinel?

I don't think they can bacause of 2 inch restriction ,but I am not sure.

Edited by Scorpion

I believe Scorpion is correct. They could add "extender" boots like you see on --edit: Apocalypse--, or big "duck feet," but those things make Minimates look kind of dumb, IMO. The Marvel Minimates are supposedly fixed as a 2 inch license, so any larger Minimates couldn't really be Minimates, so much as statues or banks or whatever.

Edited by karamazov80

Think of pink/purple Apocalypse with a metal bowler. And hopefully without all the "A"s. That'd be what we would be lookin' at with a 2" Sentinel.

Not that I'd pass on on it. ;)

Think of pink/purple Apocalypse with a metal bowler. And hopefully without all the "A"s. That'd be what we would be lookin' at with a 2" Sentinel.

Not that I'd pass on on it. ;)

Well - they could make some Prime Sentinels from the Zero Tolerance story arc, as they were the same size as standard humans? They'd make a cool army builder too, especially if we got a Bastion to lead them. The only thing is that i don't know id DST/AA would class them as 'popular' or 'recognizable' enough to sell . . .

Minimates have existed for how long now? ;)

I wasn't joking earlier. I went back through every wave so far released, and only noticed two waves that didn't have any of the characters I mentioned--wave 11 (Rogue/Iceman/Firestar) and 16 (Thor wave).

Straw-man. As I said, with emphasis added:

I'm not making the argument we should do a wave of all obscure characters, just that I think there's been too much weight placed on character recognition by the "casual fan" as primary selection criteria around here lately.

To get back to the point I was actually making, I think it's ridiculous that we, in a discussion forum, subject every possible candidate for 'matization to an extensive "does every kid know who it is?" litmus test (as we did with Pyro in this thread), when we've received, and will continue to receive, a number of obscure characters next to the umpteen Wolverines.

Edited by metaphorge

!

They could...

BUILD-A-FIGURE (BAF)

Where they would normally have two packs, they could throw in a piece of the Sentinel/M.O.D.O.K. over the course of two waves, excluding the variant. So each pack would be two Minimates and an articulated piece (altogether, the Sentinel would have 14 points of articulation just like any other Minimate.) And of course, would encourage us to buy whole waves. It would be distributed like this:

Head+Torso

Left Arm

Right Arm

Pelvis

Left Leg

Right Leg

or in one wave:

Head

Left and right arm and chest block

Left and right legs and pelvis

*gets shot*