UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Economy

Wow.

I was just reading an article in the NY TImes that said the cost of moving a single 40-ton container from South China to the US dropped from $1400 last year to around $300 currently.

I wonder if that's one of the reasons we seem to be seeing so many new Minimates this year. Could the global recession have created a perfect storm for our favorite toyline to sell? Lower material and shipping costs mean a higher profit, while a (relatively) low retail price point and "two-for-the-price-of-one" product offering make Minimates seem like a superior value to thrifty parents and toy shoppers.

Any thoughts, armchair economists?

I don't know if anyone would agree with me or not. As much as I love minimates, I've always felt that they are a bit over priced. I am remembering them being more like 5.99 when they had first come out, then I had stopped collecting them for 5 years--I've bought up a whole bunch in the last 2 months. Either way, I look at it as about $4.25+ per figure as opposed to 2 for the price of one. And then when you're buying a pack that has a hulk or spiderman, you're basically paying $8.50 for the one figure you actually do want. I'm not trying to sound like a hater here or anything, I love these guys, they are my favorite right now! And if the recession creates/allows for more minimates due to those lower costs, then bring them on. Back in 2003-4, I remember them popping up in TRU and Target, then they disappeared and maybe that's how I lost track of them. Just recently, I walked thru TRU and literally stumbled on that new wave with union jack and that brought me back, not thrilled with the 7.99+ but oh well., they are great! Sorry for the rambling, too bad they aren't cheaper due to the recession, or packed in a more cost effective way for the buyer.

While the crap economy does make nearly everything cheaper (materials, labor, transportation costs including gas/oil), there are fewer buyers. You gotta figure that these things off-set to some degree, so I don't know that the lower cost of production/distribution is the sole reason for all the Minimates being produced. Creating more Minimates for lower prices wouldn't make much sense unless they could sell, right? The TRU deal and some new, fantastic licenses like Ghostbusters and Terminator will probably attract more people to buying those, however, while at the same time bringing more people into the mini-cult of which we are all a part, addicting more and more poor souls. I guess DST is banking on this happening.

Maybe you are right in guessing that the idea of a "value" 2-pack could move more Minimates in a bad economy than a good one, but when the figures are 2 inches tall, I'm not sure that parents/collectors would necessarily see this as a "value" or not.

Edited by karamazov80

when the figures are 2 inches tall, I'm not sure that parents/collectors would necessarily see this as a "value" or not.

That's basically what I was trying to get at, except you said it in one line hahaha! I love them because theyre small, and then at the same time, you wonder about paying so much for 2 2" guys or gals.

I'm surprised that toy collecting seems to have rebounded since last winter. Not only are Minimates getting snapped up, but same with Marvel Universe, 25th Anniv. GI Joe, etc. And Legends and DCU seem to be going strong (if items can be found in stores). Ebay prices are generally holding.

I think while parents cut back on toy purchases for their kids, adults continue to feed their habits.

But I agree, DST seems to be firing on all cylinders in terms of Minimates. Kudos to Chuck, Matt, and the team. We belly ache about Wolverine/Spider-man overload but Minimates remain hot.

To Jatta's point, I've read somewhere in the news that the collectible market has been suffering, but based on the things that I've been looking at/for on eBay, prices have stayed stable, and in some cases they have gone up. Not just Minimates and Joes, but Hot Toys and Medicom stuff, too. Maybe really "high end" collectibles/antiques (in the multi-thousand dollar range) are hurting, but I really haven't seen it on the relatively "lower" level stuff that I'm into (read: can sort of afford).

The economy has things tough all over. Face it, when times are tough, what is the first casualty? Expendable income. No more unnecessary purchases and this is felt very deeply in the collectibles industry.

while the economy has everyone tightening their belts, my resolve for minimates has never been stronger. We can still get 2 figures for less than the price of one from other lines. I will admit, all other lines are passed over time and time again without a second glance...some that normally I may have bought a couple of figures here and there. The economy has locked me into one obsession and that is minimates.

moc847

In my own experience I've switched to Minimates as my only collectable/hobby, but even in that if you've seen my Want/Have list its clear I've focused on just the Marvel stuff and I'm dropping the rest. I'm guessing we're going to see less full-line completists and more cherry picking in general with relation to what comes out.

If anything the TRU exclusive trend is more worrying to me as a non-North Am collector than the economy nose diving.

As far as collecting goes, Minimates are a little better value in my eyes. I was collecting Star Wars and Transformers a few years ago, but one Transformer runs $10 and one little Star Wars figure runs about $8. For $7, I get two minimates. Even if I don't particularly want one of the minimates in a 2 pack for myself, I know one of my kids will. Or I could give it away to someone who would apprectiate it or play with it.

Plus, I've gotten all "green" lately, and I don't feel as wasteful spending money on two 2" plastic figures as opposed to one 6" one. And you can recycle all of the minimal minimate packaging!

it was just annonced at work yesterday that everyone would at work would be getting and 10% pay cut. which means 10% less minimates :( which will be a hard choice there are so many awesome mates coming out this year. I also had to cancel me trip to Comic con.

it was just annonced at work yesterday that everyone would at work would be getting and 10% pay cut. which means 10% less minimates :( which will be a hard choice there are so many awesome mates coming out this year. I also had to cancel me trip to Comic con.

The folks at my work (and anyone else employed by the state of North Carolina) are getting a temporary pay cut, with the possibility of another one in the new fiscal year, so I feel your pain.

That being said, I'm far more supportive of taking a cut in pay than losing my job, so maybe there's a silver lining there.