UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kamsm8's Custom Minimates

Hey guys.

So I decided to change this to my own customs thread, since I will hopefully start putting out more customs. This will also include my modifications to pre-existing minimates.

The Bishop custom was inspired by someone's own Bishop modifications I found in this forum - I'm not sure who, but if you guys do, I just want to say thanks for the inspiration.

I wanted to make Cable a little more interesting, so I decided to try and make him look more like this. I'm still trying to find a good hairpiece for him, and something to give him his huge should-pads.

The Blizzard is my first and only true custom minimate. I made him from a repainted Spymaster figure I had.

post-2912-1244840823_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1244840865_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1244840884_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1244840902_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1244840947_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1244840966_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kamsm8

Thanks, Twisted! Yeah, I tried drawing the blank in Photoshop, but I lack the knowledge to do so, so I just resorted to good ol' pencil and paper! Ha, turned out well enough.

Anyways, I'm not done with the regular head (I've got a spare New Goblin face sticking under this one), or a spare FA Iron Man hairpiece ready, but I still wanted to show this lil' guy.

So, without further ado, my first custom Minimate:

BLIZZARD

post-2912-1242189496_thumb.jpg

Ha, sorry about the squat looking minimate. Blame that on my scanner. =/

But yeah, the chest and mask are all hand painted. I don't have a printer that would produce anything close to a decent decal, nor any way to design one, so I went extremely old school and primitive.

Thanks for the complements. Cheers!

Ha, sorry about the squat looking minimate. Blame that on my scanner. =/

But yeah, the chest and mask are all hand painted. I don't have a printer that would produce anything close to a decent decal, nor any way to design one, so I went extremely old school and primitive.

Thanks for the complements. Cheers!

high five for old school :biggrin: :highfive2:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So I've got some questions, for anybody who can offer me some tips.

1) How do you take apart a minimates legs without breaking the small pins inside? Is there any easy way to do so?

2) How do you protect the paint on a minimate so that it isn't worn away at the joints?

If anybody could offer me some help...

So I've got some questions, for anybody who can offer me some tips.

1) How do you take apart a minimates legs without breaking the small pins inside? Is there any easy way to do so?

2) How do you protect the paint on a minimate so that it isn't worn away at the joints?

If anybody could offer me some help...

Boiling some water and submerging the minimate leg in it for 10 seconds is usually the best bet for disassembly. Depending on what quality of plastic was used all should go well.

As for the paint on the knee joint, are you talking existing paint or paint you are planning to apply?

If it's paint you are planning to apply, I would suggest using a base minimate leg that is close in color to the paint you wish to apply. In my experience, if properly applied, the paint SHOULD stay in place.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Minimyte. That hot water trick worked beautifully. Also, by paint, I meant when I paint joints. It's no worries anyways, I don't tend to move my customs much anyways to where it's a worry.

Also, so I'm working on making the original 7 MMPR as minimates. (Red, blue, black, yellow, pink, white, green). And I need some suggestions for hairpieces. Tommy's hair and Zack's are the most troubles. Anybody got ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Minimyte. That hot water trick worked beautifully. Also, by paint, I meant when I paint joints. It's no worries anyways, I don't tend to move my customs much anyways to where it's a worry.

Also, so I'm working on making the original 7 MMPR as minimates. (Red, blue, black, yellow, pink, white, green). And I need some suggestions for hairpieces. Tommy's hair and Zack's are the most troubles. Anybody got ideas?

Hey,

How about Jigsaw for Zach : http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=695

Green Ranger Tommy could be Baltar : http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=448

Not come up with anything for White Ranger Tommy but will keep looking.

Take care,

Matty-lad

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And the suggestions on hairpieces.

It's been quite a while since I've added anything new on here, but I've just about finished two minimates in my current project. I know the photographs are terrible, but I've been very excited to upload SOME kind of photo to see how you guys react, considering what opposition a proposed official license for this property brought up... Fail sentencing. Anyways, yeah, take a look at these photo's and let me know what you guys think.

post-2912-1268027084_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1268027103_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1268027122_thumb.jpg

post-2912-1268027150_thumb.jpg

Not too shabby for your first customs! I like the painted-on white diamonds and how you brought out the muscle definition. Personally I'd recommend maximizing the space on the headblock and not scrunching up the face in the center too much, but overall cool work! :thumbsup:

Not too shabby for your first customs! I like the painted-on white diamonds and how you brought out the muscle definition. Personally I'd recommend maximizing the space on the headblock and not scrunching up the face in the center too much, but overall cool work! :thumbsup:

Edited by NorthRaider