UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 code

minijeff

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own two cents regarding the Concept Spider-Man.

When I was talking with DST about debuting the art for series 30, I was told that there was a last minute change to the line-up, with Ultimate Spider-Woman being the substitute for the original. That's likely why early shots of the actual figures left her out of the line-up and why websites are listing Concept Spidey as the 7th figure. It may also be why the concept art for SW looked a little bare bones.

As far as what Concept Spider-Man is, what he looked like, and why he was replaced, I couldn't say. If it's the Alex Ross design, maybe it was tied up in a movie license they didn't have? Maybe DST showed us some mercy and didn't go for the killing Spider-Man blow? Maybe Chuck is saving it for an all Spider-Man series down the road? Who knows.

As for what we'll be seeing in Series 30, best to stick with what has been announced unless DST says otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
My own two cents regarding the Concept Spider-Man.

When I was talking with DST about debuting the art for series 30, I was told that there was a last minute change to the line-up, with Ultimate Spider-Woman being the substitute for the original. That's likely why early shots of the actual figures left her out of the line-up and why websites are listing Concept Spidey as the 7th figure. It may also be why the concept art for SW looked a little bare bones.

As far as what Concept Spider-Man is, what he looked like, and why he was replaced, I couldn't say. If it's the Alex Ross design, maybe it was tied up in a movie license they didn't have? Maybe DST showed us some mercy and didn't go for the killing Spider-Man blow? Maybe Chuck is saving it for an all Spider-Man series down the road? Who knows.

As for what we'll be seeing in Series 30, best to stick with what has been announced unless DST says otherwise.

Isn't this wave all spiderman?

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the Ultimate Spiderwoman prototype:

001_big.jpg

I know there are a fair amount of those that love the Ultimate Universe but the Ultimate Spiderwoman is fugly. It's like drag show spiderman.

I know there are a fair amount of those that love the Ultimate Universe but the Ultimate Spiderwoman is fugly. It's like drag show spiderman.

Ha Ha Funny that you say that 'cause if you have read the comic you are more right than you know.

Ha Ha Funny that you say that 'cause if you have read the comic you are more right than you know.

I've read it and did not intend the pun. I just don't think that costume translates into the medium well.

I may be paraphrasing TM2 Dinobot (the local Ultimate Spider-Woman nut) here, but IIRC the problem sorta lies in the execution of the chest insignia (which is supposed to wrap around her back) and the face shading (which was mostly due to the weird source art DST must've used).

Personally though I blame the hairpiece. Kind of a frumpy sculpt that doesn't suit the overall sleekness of the character at all. (Granted I know next to nothing of the Ultimate universe, this is just me speaking about feminine visual aesthetics, that's all.)

I may be paraphrasing TM2 Dinobot (the local Ultimate Spider-Woman nut) here, but IIRC the problem sorta lies in the execution of the chest insignia (which is supposed to wrap around her back) and the face shading (which was mostly due to the weird source art DST must've used).

Personally though I blame the hairpiece. Kind of a frumpy sculpt that doesn't suit the overall sleekness of the character at all. (Granted I know next to nothing of the Ultimate universe, this is just me speaking about feminine visual aesthetics, that's all.)

No, no. As the resident Ultimate guy (which I can claim the title to rightfully as I own and have read 95% of the Ultiamte U) I can say she pretty much looked like that. Without the face splotch. And the chest sucks too... The hair is the one thing they got RIGHT on her.

Edited by Trekker 42

Really? 'Cause judging from what panel art I've seen of Ultimate Spider-Woman I thought her hair'd be slightly longer, shoulder-length at the most. Not to mention that in real life that haircut would look downright- Oh, fiction, right. Anyway comic accuracy or not I think the problem is that DST didn't make her look sleek enough, period. I don't know how exactly you'd solve that problem at the Minimate scale, but that's just my two cents.

Eh, still intrigued as to how the final product would look in the end.

No, no. As the resident Ultimate guy (which I can claim the title to rightfully as I own and have read 95% of the Ultiamte U) I can say she pretty much looked like that. Without the face splotch. And the chest sucks too... The hair is the one thing they got RIGHT on her.

Ya know what's really sad?? I HATE THE HAIR.

I love th Ultimate U, and love Ultimate Spider-woman a lot. But the Minimate...it's just...ugh. What would i have wanted?? Red-highlighted, more feminine Back-in-Black Spidey, same face, and a new hair sculpt or Ellen Tigh's (hey, it works for anyone) in a slightly lighter, more yellowy color.

The official is Godawful.