UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 code

minijeff

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea who "Takara (spectaclestesticleswalltewatch)" is. But that is so going to be my next forum name when I sign up somewhere. (Copied and pasted to notepad :) )

I do understand its just some guys name and your making the sign of the cross like he's godlike its the whole thing just reads so well.

The short answer is Takara is a japanese toy company. They made the toys Hasbro rebranded into Transformers 25 years ago. Once Transofrmers took off, they made the Japanese versions. Right now, since they are not bound by US toys law they can make TF's that the US can't or has to modify to bring over in "unnacceptable" ways. (go to any TF board and search for "short smoke stacks", you'll get the idea) In recent times, they re-release US TF's with different, often more extensive and more "show accurate", paint jobs. For this they are praised and Hasbro is evil. I know, I don't get it either. I'm sure TM2 chopperface could explain it, but we're veering off point.

Which was it's always fun to find out who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are in any new collector community.

As we're likely to see Storm and Black Panther in Wave 29, I can't help feeling both could have been used to help sell a less popular character, such as Black Panther/Klaw and Storm/Callisto, for example. I feel like these characters have less chance of being made as their chief adversary has been released already.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, Valo, but Black Panther is the less popular character that they're hoping will sell better if paired with the Storm in what's probably her best known costume.

I agree, although I think Panther has appeal to kids based on his look, very Batman-esque. I was a big fan of his as a kid based solely on his costume without knowing anything of the character. I'm probably in the minority on that, but it does happen.

Correct me if am wrong, but the codes have been released that one charcter reveal is followed by the code for the character that will acompany the character from the previous day (Storm then black Panther, Moon knight then armored daredevil) and the ww2 wolvie bein the variant was the last reveal.

So if on that logic, I think the variant will be based on the insulated spidey and electro pack - to which am gunna take a guess that it could be Ultimate Electro (considerin its a simple minimate design) or maybe they might throw a swerve ball an release an obscure villain, like they did with tarantula.

Edited by chaplain

I don't think we are reverting to non-army builders being packed with the variant. As posted previously, this was stated to only happen in the foreseeable future with movie waves.

Now, I know jack about Insulated Spiderman, so if he was a clone and if there are hundreds of him/them running around, then your suggestion may be correct.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm actually okay with this wave, I mean it's great we get some spider villains, and spider-girl was gonna be made sooner or later, insulated spider-man( I can't say that without laughing) seems only right to be paired with electro. Can't wait to find for tomorrows code!!! who can it be??

Here's hoping for Spider-hulk!

According to MMDB there are roughly 315 unique Marvel Mates. 30 of them are Spiderman. Slightly less than 10%, so the ratio is 10:1

There are also 19 Ironmen, 11 Caps, 25 Wolvies and 13 Hulks.

The 30 count isn't entirely accurate. It's probably not fair to lump Gold, Silver, and Santa Spidey as variations of the character, since they exist only as exclusive prizes and holiday gifts, rather than standard released figures. Also, Venom as Spider-Man is on the list, even though for all intents and purposes that IS a different character. Same rings true for Scarlet Spider, though he is more of a Spider-Man variant than Venom. At the same time, Spider-Man (Ben Reilly) isn't on the list, though that is closer to a true variation of the costume. Of course, the list also doesn't include the inevitable Symbiote Bond Spider-Man, plus House of M Spider-Man and Insulated Spider-Man.

So, yeah, overall, about 30 Spider-Men in all.

I coun't 33 in my collection list, including anything announced but not yet released. That includes anything Spider-Man/Peter Parker related. This doesn't include any Gold/Silver/Bronze/Santa...Spideys, Venom, Carnage or the upcoming Venom as Spider-Man.

25 Wolverines/Logans

23 Iron Man/Tony Stark

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by dark knight

23 Iron Man/Tony Stark

I'd be curious to see how you got to this figure! ;)

T.

The DB shows 19 Ironmen including upcoming ones like ultimate Ironmen and 4 Starks. thats 23

Was the Mark I War Machine included in the count?

And TBT, I'm not sure your own vast private army of Iron Men qualifies... :P

23 Iron Man/Tony Stark

T.

The DB shows 19 Ironmen including upcoming ones like ultimate Ironmen and 4 Starks. thats 23

Wow that's a lot of IM I didn't realise we had that many.... of course there is always room for more!

T.

p.s. Actually both war machines were created as Ironman suits... they only got the name later!

23 Iron Man/Tony Stark

T.

Wow that's a lot of IM I didn't realise we had that many.... of course there is always room for more!

T.

p.s. Actually both war machines were created as Ironman suits... they only got the name later!

Here's what I have...

Series 6

Ironman

Stealth Ironman

Series 21

Mark I

Mark II

Mark III

Tony Stark

Series 23

War Machine Mark I

Series 25

Classic Ironman

Bolt Face Ironman

Series 27

Ultimate Ironman

Exclusives

Silver Centurion & Classic Ironman

Guantlet Tony Stark & Stealth Ironman-Movie

Zombie Ironman

Civil War Ironman

Avengers #1 Ironman

Through the Ages

Mark III

Mark VI

Modular Armor

CEO Tony Stark

Hostile Takeover

Battle Damaged Ironman

Playboy Tony Stark

I counted Mark I WM because it was Tony, but didn't count Mark II because it's Rhodey.

Edited by dark knight

I have no idea who "Takara (spectaclestesticleswalltewatch)" is. But that is so going to be my next forum name when I sign up somewhere. (Copied and pasted to notepad :) )

I do understand its just some guys name and your making the sign of the cross like he's godlike its the whole thing just reads so well.

The short answer is Takara is a japanese toy company. They made the toys Hasbro rebranded into Transformers 25 years ago. Once Transofrmers took off, they made the Japanese versions. Right now, since they are not bound by US toys law they can make TF's that the US can't or has to modify to bring over in "unnacceptable" ways. (go to any TF board and search for "short smoke stacks", you'll get the idea) In recent times, they re-release US TF's with different, often more extensive and more "show accurate", paint jobs. For this they are praised and Hasbro is evil. I know, I don't get it either. I'm sure TM2 chopperface could explain it, but we're veering off point.

Which was it's always fun to find out who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are in any new collector community.

Its like this. Takara is the company that will honor the history of a series and release toys the way fans want them to honor the origianl figures. They do this with steller pain apps, stickers, classic chrome detailing and their excellent engineering. Hasbro is the brother company who gave us a red character like powerglide in a nasty one color off white. Be happy hasbro isnt making minimates. *Vomits on self*

Hasbro may have its flaws, but they know how to make some GI Joes (the Takara/Hasbro roles were reversed with the ARAH Joes). And they ain't by any means Mattel, whose actions boggle the mind 90% of the time.

The padded design can also be found around the bottom section of this layout as well. http://www.geocities.com/crystalsanchez@sb...spider-man.html

you know i would'nt mind a Earth-X Spidey from that list

Or an Earth-X Venom. I always loved that design.

Please don't shoot me for agreeing, but i'd really like an EarthX May Parker Venom. Molded in Deep Red Translucent plastic with black paint work . . . i think it'd look cool and it's one 'varient' that i'd actually display on my shelf.

post-2737-1242168074_thumb.jpg

post-2737-1242168097_thumb.jpg

Good thing there is AFX to get us characters we want, since DST isn't capable of doing it on their own.

Seriously?

A week after they announced Storm, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Bullseye and Moonstone? Two days after they announced Scorpion and Electro? DST is incapable of giving us characters we've been whining for for years? Really?

Quit your bitching, dude.

Slagging on DST for making smart business decisions is getting a little tiresome. When the TRU heroes and villians wave came out, you know which ones sold out first at every store I visited? Spidey and Gobby.

I know, it's sad that every wave can't be entirely comprised of winners like Unus the Untouchable and Nebulon.

I know Spidey variants don't give us wood like they used to, but dollars to donuts, they still sell the line at mass market, and that's not DST's fault. Don't buy them if you don't like them, but it's a little self-obsessed to think that every Spidey mate that comes out is a personal slight against you.

Wow. "Dude". Forget to douche today? Having that not so fresh feeling?

DST's track record isn't perfect. Spidey sells, and I have no problem if at mass market they want to push the big characters. For instance, your point on the TRU wave FAILS to mention that they made the smart decision to put the two new figures in a pack by itself. Wondy and Union Jack are selling just fine too, your supposed anecdotal evidence not withstanding. At mass market the wave you use as an example does just fine and I am not complaining about it. However it's irrelevant to the point I made, and to these waves in particular.

Wave 24 provides a better parallel. A new Spidey classic and black at least included masks to somewhat make up for the fact that we were buying them *yet* again. Throw Venom in there again too. Here we have a wave so far of half Spidey villians and half lame variants. It's far worse than wave 24. Or let's look at the Secret Wars fan vote. Great idea, but in it we get another lame Spidey variant. Folks would rather have a half symbiont half regular costume Spidey over any new character? OK. Seems pretty lame to me though, some what, 6 or 7 years into the line.

These examples aren't mass market so spare me the your diatribe about that. They're specialty store. Thus, DST would do a better job marketing to that, ergo, the over 25 men who buy comic books. There is no reason to have one solid wave a year sold at comic stores that is entirely Spidey. If you want to do that at TRU, or Target, or wherever, different story. But these waves won't ship there. Kids are generally not walking into your LCS to buy these, unlike what may occur if they are stocked at TRU/Walmart/wherever. Have I beat the "Your Example Does Not Apply" horse to death yet?

Now, AFX is delivering popular characters (and has) that people want, that aren't constant Spidey retreads. In that sense they are succeeding at the specialty market, in concert with, but ahead of DST. Thus, the Black Panther noted, my point is that more often than DST AFX delivers characters either on my list directly or new, never released characters that I'm interested in buying. You can disagree with that of course.

Now, if DST included a two pack of Fizzle Sticks Spidey and Electro, as an example, along with 2 other two packs of other non spidey requested characters (or Spidey villains but say, no Spidey) that would have been fine by me. Having the tent pole characters always in the rotations is smart no matter where these are sold, but doing so in a smarter, smaller ratio fashion meets that need and allows for a better variety- and then everyone wins. Again, there is no need for an all Spidey, with lame variant, wave, save to cater to the likes of DST Matt or whomever it is that loves Spidey (I can't recall which one of em it is).

*PARAGRAPH REMOVED BY MOD: IT WAS NOTHING BUT PERSONAL INSULTS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER*

However, most of the time that we see kiddie lines released for comic characters, we see the same characters released multiple times in different outfits--Deep Sea Exploration Batman; Space Pirate Spiderman; Radiation Suit Wolverine; etc. Though your logic makes intuitive sense to me, the people with the sales data may know something that we don't.

Completely guessing, but maybe their thinking is that if there's one Spidey in one pack then that pack will sell out and the others will sit on the shelf, so they put one Spidey (or Wolverine in his movie wave, or whoever) in every pack so he continues to be an option for the passerby until the last set sells.

Even though I've never read anything with this Insulated costume, I'm actually fine with this one, it's got a legit reason to be sold alongside Electro and looks like it could be cool in mate form. Even Spidergirl is at least a new character, sort of, and if she has a slipover mask I'll probably display her without it to emphasize that (those slipovers look too big and helmety with the red masks anyways). House Of M I'm still pretty "Ehhhh" on, but I know the House Of M trade continues to have surprisingly big sales, especially considering how the event was recieved at the time...

Basically, I'm so happy to be getting Electro and Scorpion that the last reveal could be plain old "Spider-man" and I'd still be excited for this wave. And I'd feel sorry for you non-Spidey fans if this wave was coming out a few years ago, and there weren't plenty of other great non-Spidey figs being released outside of the regular waves this year, but it isn't and there are :P.

I truly believe if we didn't have so many Spideys, Iron Mans, Hulks and Wolverines that Marvel Minimates would have stopped being made a long time ago. To date (with what's been announced also), there have been over 300 Marvel Minimates released since the line began and if they were all unique characters the line would have lost its' marketability awhile back. It would be cool to have that many characters, but the line has to be padded with the characters that continue to sell. At least most Spider-Man Minimates aren't just straight redos of the regular Spidey.

Is there some enterprising archivist with time on his/her hands to catalog every Marvel Mate that's been made? I'd like to see definitively how many Spideys/Wolvies/IMs there have been in proportion to new characters. I'd bet it's at least 2 to 1 for new characters.

Best Database Ever: http://www.minimatedatabase.com./

Best Minimate Reference out there. Period.