UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 30 code

minijeff

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda prefer the first look... He looks more like Green Earthworm Man in the second pic.

Just be glad he didn't wake up all in a muddle and put the costume on back to front! eeeek!

T.

i'm the biggest Spidey-fan you'll find, but even i find those 2 new ones complete overkill. I have no interest in either of them. Scorpion and Electro... amazing! spectacular! But so far, those are the only mates that wouldn't go straight into my storage box.

oh, and if it turns out Spider-Girl or someone better/more unique was the variant (Aunt May has been mentioned, i'd love that!) i'll be even more disappointed. I know some people are fans of the variant being a completely different character, but as a Brit, i rely on ebay to get hold of my mates these days, and quite frankly, as much as i'd like to, paying a ridiculous amount to get hold of those extra characters is just isn't happening.

*sigh*

Off Topic Grumble - as brilliant as the mates that have been announced recently have been, having to pay a small fortune for one extra figure, as well as the Toys R Us only mates... it is all rather upsetting

but, y'know... Scorpion and Electro!

Good thing there is AFX to get us characters we want, since DST isn't capable of doing it on their own.

Seriously?

A week after they announced Storm, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Bullseye and Moonstone? Two days after they announced Scorpion and Electro? DST is incapable of giving us characters we've been whining for for years? Really?

Quit your bitching, dude.

Slagging on DST for making smart business decisions is getting a little tiresome. When the TRU heroes and villians wave came out, you know which ones sold out first at every store I visited? Spidey and Gobby.

I know, it's sad that every wave can't be entirely comprised of winners like Unus the Untouchable and Nebulon.

I know Spidey variants don't give us wood like they used to, but dollars to donuts, they still sell the line at mass market, and that's not DST's fault. Don't buy them if you don't like them, but it's a little self-obsessed to think that every Spidey mate that comes out is a personal slight against you.

I truly believe if we didn't have so many Spideys, Iron Mans, Hulks and Wolverines that Marvel Minimates would have stopped being made a long time ago. To date (with what's been announced also), there have been over 300 Marvel Minimates released since the line began and if they were all unique characters the line would have lost its' marketability awhile back. It would be cool to have that many characters, but the line has to be padded with the characters that continue to sell. At least most Spider-Man Minimates aren't just straight redos of the regular Spidey.

This really isn't that bad. Of all the Spidey-variants that could be released, DST does one that makes sense. And unlike toybiz's hydro-armor radioactive Spiderman with inflatable mega-kite, this actually has a comic history... with Electro. It would have been lame if it had just been another standard blue/red or black Spiderman.

Good thing there is AFX to get us characters we want, since DST isn't capable of doing it on their own.

Seriously?

A week after they announced Storm, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Bullseye and Moonstone? Two days after they announced Scorpion and Electro? DST is incapable of giving us characters we've been whining for for years? Really?

Quit your bitching, dude.

Slagging on DST for making smart business decisions is getting a little tiresome. When the TRU heroes and villians wave came out, you know which ones sold out first at every store I visited? Spidey and Gobby.

I know, it's sad that every wave can't be entirely comprised of winners like Unus the Untouchable and Nebulon.

I know Spidey variants don't give us wood like they used to, but dollars to donuts, they still sell the line at mass market, and that's not DST's fault. Don't buy them if you don't like them, but it's a little self-obsessed to think that every Spidey mate that comes out is a personal slight against you.

F.T.F.W. man, For The Win. So you don't like the wave? Skip it. It'll sell perfectly well without you. I grantee it.

It occurs to me that if I didn't run my mouth some much I'd be able to say stuff like that and be taken seriously.

I truly believe if we didn't have so many Spideys, Iron Mans, Hulks and Wolverines that Marvel Minimates would have stopped being made a long time ago. To date (with what's been announced also), there have been over 300 Marvel Minimates released since the line began and if they were all unique characters the line would have lost its' marketability awhile back. It would be cool to have that many characters, but the line has to be padded with the characters that continue to sell. At least most Spider-Man Minimates aren't just straight redos of the regular Spidey.

Is there some enterprising archivist with time on his/her hands to catalog every Marvel Mate that's been made? I'd like to see definitively how many Spideys/Wolvies/IMs there have been in proportion to new characters. I'd bet it's at least 2 to 1 for new characters.

You guys are funny. So everyone was bummed when we heard house of M spidey (except me since I like the story) and everyone got psyched for scorpian, then moral dropped again for spidergirl and lower for the vault guy, the everyones psyched again for electro. Now its down again. Looking at realease history, the figure with scorpian is highly likey to be something we dont want that much. I am certain it will not be devil dinosaur or even kang. We have 1 villain/villain 2 pack in 30 waves, so be prepared tomorrow for some dissapointment, especially when we find out spidey is the army builder.

Maybe it just feels that way because of getting the last 4 waves full of awesome stuff with mostly new characters. Im not really dissapointed because I understand the business decisions they are making is moving us toward characters like devil dinosaur or arnim zola. Maybe even Kang. We are 1 mate away from the 2 lineups of the sinister six and I am sure we will get the vulture we need to do it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind a mountain of Spider-Man variations. Spider-Man is what got me started in Minimates (though Danny is to blame for keeping me here), and he's always been the character that I most follow in comics and TV. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people are the same way. These waves help keep the whole process moving. Every toy company recognizes it. That's why you see Water Wings Spider-Man and all those other off the wall variations in the action figure line, because they have to cram new Spideys down our throats to keep us buying the secondary characters. So, as outspoken as I am about DST's (and especially Chuck's) love for the web head, I completely understand that it is a necessary evil.

That being said, they COULD space these things out a little bit better. Instead of doing Spider-Man and a Couple of Friends waves, they could just have a Spider-Man set in every wave, and in every TRU wave as well, if necessary. That way, the world gets its mandatory Spider-Man, and we still get six slots of other characters.

Now, excuse me while I shed a tear for my fallen customs:

Electro

Scorpion

Insulated Spidey

We are 1 mate away from the 2 lineups of the sinister six and I am sure we will get the vulture we need to do it.

And we will get it...in Marvel series 43.

Is there some enterprising archivist with time on his/her hands to catalog every Marvel Mate that's been made? I'd like to see definitively how many Spideys/Wolvies/IMs there have been in proportion to new characters. I'd bet it's at least 2 to 1 for new characters.

According to MMDB there are roughly 315 unique Marvel Mates. 30 of them are Spiderman. Slightly less than 10%, so the ratio is 10:1

There are also 19 Ironmen, 11 Caps, 25 Wolvies and 13 Hulks.

According to MMDB there are roughly 315 unique Marvel Mates. 30 of them are Spiderman. Slightly less than 10%, so the ratio is 10:1

There are also 19 Ironmen, 11 Caps, 25 Wolvies and 13 Hulks.

The 30 count isn't entirely accurate. It's probably not fair to lump Gold, Silver, and Santa Spidey as variations of the character, since they exist only as exclusive prizes and holiday gifts, rather than standard released figures. Also, Venom as Spider-Man is on the list, even though for all intents and purposes that IS a different character. Same rings true for Scarlet Spider, though he is more of a Spider-Man variant than Venom. At the same time, Spider-Man (Ben Reilly) isn't on the list, though that is closer to a true variation of the costume. Of course, the list also doesn't include the inevitable Symbiote Bond Spider-Man, plus House of M Spider-Man and Insulated Spider-Man.

So, yeah, overall, about 30 Spider-Men in all.

There you go, less than 30% of existing mates are remakes of the "big 5." I bet it's still under 30% if you throw in remakes of other characters like Cyclops, Daredevil and, I don't know... Ghost Rider.

Not bad, considering the number of retreads Hasbro and Mattel usually churn out.

I'm glad they are doing more of the classic spidey villains. I just recently picked up the Spidey/Green Goblin set from ToysRUs and he is way better than the original. I never purchased the original cause I came in late but the detail on the new Gobby is cool.

A few months back i picked up the Shocker, Tarantula, Venom and Kraven.

The fact that they are doing Scorpion and Electro is awesome.

Now I just have to pick up Chameleon, Rhino, Doc Ock, and Mysterio and I'm set with my Spidey Rogues Gallery.

As long as every wave will still introduce at least one or two new characters it's OK with me to get truckloads of Spideys, Wolvies, Hulkies, Starkies (and Hutchies?). Like Lobsterman just pointed out, the last waves, box sets and exclusives included a.w.e.s.o.m.e. new characters so if there's a reflate-the-market-wave that still brings up Scorpion and Electro (and maybe another one tomorrow as the icing on the cake?!?) everything's cool.

We are 1 mate away from the 2 lineups of the sinister six and I am sure we will get the vulture we need to do it.

And we will get it...in Marvel series 43.

Be fair. They'll be revealing the Vulture for NEXT YEARS Spidey wave. Should be wave 35 or 36. Which, as long as we keep filling out Spidey's rogues gallery, I won't mind seeing. Right now, even in a Spidey wave, we get at least three not Spidey characters. As a guy who spent most of the last decade hunting down Marvel Legends, where villains came on per wave, this is Christmas.

Seriously?

Funny stuff. It's nice to see the "The Company X clearly hates its customers" is a universal fan constant. When Toy Biz were making ML's, they were evil, uncaring bastards who never listened to the fans and must have wanted the line to fail with their character selection/costume choices/lack of or overuse of X-characters. Then Hasbro got the liscense and Hasbro became evil, and everyone longed for the TB days and forgot they were ever mad at them. Of course, toy collectors are used to hating Hasbro, because they keep screwing up Transformers, and only Takara (spectaclestesticleswalltewatch) ever gets them right. Except the random chrome, but that's another issue entirely.

I have no idea who "Takara (spectaclestesticleswalltewatch)" is. But that is so going to be my next forum name when I sign up somewhere. (Copied and pasted to notepad :) )

I do understand its just some guys name and your making the sign of the cross like he's godlike its the whole thing just reads so well.

I understand the business decisions behind all the Spideys, I do think more than one per wave is a bit much as if a casual fan wants one, there's one right there, having two makes it more likely they'll pass on that one. To make it more clear, I'm a random shopper who happens upon a wave of minimates. I've never bought one before, but I want Spider-Man!! So I buy the one that reminds me most of the regular one, in this wave that'd be HoM Spider-Man. If I decide to buy one more set, it'll likely be for a new character as opposed to another version of Spider-Man. There are exceptions of course, Black suit Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider could very likely inspire a purchase on their own merit, but not all Spidey variants have the same strength to the uninitiated.

This isn't meant to be an attack on Spider-Man or a question about DST's business decisions, just a thought. In mass market superhero lines the figures that seem to sell the least are the strange variations of the hero. I think that instead of three or more versions of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man in one wave it would be better to use one a wave as the "anchor" and use the rest down the line to help sell a less popular character. As we're likely to see Storm and Black Panther in Wave 29, I can't help feeling both could have been used to help sell a less popular character, such as Black Panther/Klaw and Storm/Callisto, for example. I feel like these characters have less chance of being made as their chief adversary has been released already.

However, most of the time that we see kiddie lines released for comic characters, we see the same characters released multiple times in different outfits--Deep Sea Exploration Batman; Space Pirate Spiderman; Radiation Suit Wolverine; etc. Though your logic makes intuitive sense to me, the people with the sales data may know something that we don't.

I have no idea who "Takara (spectaclestesticleswalltewatch)" is. But that is so going to be my next forum name when I sign up somewhere. (Copied and pasted to notepad :) )

I do understand its just some guys name and your making the sign of the cross like he's godlike its the whole thing just reads so well.

The short answer is Takara is a japanese toy company. They made the toys Hasbro rebranded into Transformers 25 years ago. Once Transofrmers took off, they made the Japanese versions. Right now, since they are not bound by US toys law they can make TF's that the US can't or has to modify to bring over in "unnacceptable" ways. (go to any TF board and search for "short smoke stacks", you'll get the idea) In recent times, they re-release US TF's with different, often more extensive and more "show accurate", paint jobs. For this they are praised and Hasbro is evil. I know, I don't get it either. I'm sure TM2 chopperface could explain it, but we're veering off point.

Which was it's always fun to find out who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are in any new collector community.

As we're likely to see Storm and Black Panther in Wave 29, I can't help feeling both could have been used to help sell a less popular character, such as Black Panther/Klaw and Storm/Callisto, for example. I feel like these characters have less chance of being made as their chief adversary has been released already.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, Valo, but Black Panther is the less popular character that they're hoping will sell better if paired with the Storm in what's probably her best known costume.

Very true, and I have no doubt that Spider-Man sells well, but it's hard to know why. Almost every Spider-Man I've bought Minimate-wise was due to the character sharing the pack with him, so it seems to be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. We get a lot of Spideys because they sell well, but they also package him with a character fans have wanted for years, so it's hard to know why he sells well. Is it because of him, or for the character he's packed with?

Either way, I'm glad we're close to having all Spidey's major villains, I wonder if after we get Vulture and Lizard if they'll start using his less popular villains such as Boomerang and Tombstone or packing him with characters from other aspects of the Marvel Universe?