UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Just thought I'd take a second to introduce myself. My name is Clay and I'm in the Raleigh, North Carolina area. (Sometimes known as the land that distributers forgot) My usual net handle is MiryClay, (as in mire) a nickname someone some 25 years ago would be hurtful, but I've used ever since in everything from fanfiction to my brief stint in radio. I've been an action figure collector as long as I can remember. Super Powers, Secret Wars, Marvel Legends, if it's been a major comics related toy line, I've probably got a large plastic bin full of it. Oh and Transformers from day one.

Like many fortunate toy geeks, I found a terribly tolerant woman, and married her. 13 years of marriage and two great kids later, she's still terribly tolerant and I'm still glad I married her. It's actually my oldest son that got me into minimates. Ages ago, we came across the Target and Wal-Mart mate two packs. Lookin' for a bargain and seeing they were about $5-6 for two figures, I figured sure why not. We got a few, which turned into a few more, which turned into quite a lot by now. It's something he and I look for together either online or at the few places that carry them local. But for most of the time it's been slow going. For my boy, Mates fall after Animated Transformers, Ben 10, and now Wolverine and the X-men for his hard earned allowance.

Lately, I had a decision to make... Marvel Legends is winding down. TF Classics/Universe is going on another hiatus. And I really had to decide if I was going to go whole hog on the 3 3/4 DC and Marvel stuff, or not. Ultimately, I decided that given the choice I would rather concentrate on new Marvel Minimates and trying to run down the Marvel and DC stuff I missed than start a whole new scale from scratch. The boys think it's great, Dad going whole hog on "their" toys.

Remember that terribly tolerant wife? Yeah she's makin the worried face at me. Because she knows how these things go. I'll get really enthused about a collection, start hunting down piece and eBay hagglin' and pre ordering sets... But she knew what was comin'. I'm already lookin' at holes in certain collections... Like how, with the right parts, characters like Jim Gordon and Alfred would be relatively simple to make and a Gamma Hulk to Radioactive Man... Well you see where this is going don't you? (not there yet, but if I make it through June without making an Alfred for our C3 Batcave I will be stunned) So off to the races we go.

Welcome aboard Clay!

Yeah these things are pretty evil you think I'll just get one pack or one team and before you know it you're up to your... erm..Ankles in the little buggers!

On the positive side they take up less shelf space than Legends etc!

T.

Welcome Mirymate! Glad to have you aboard. I, too, have been an action figure collector for nearly my whole life, and those freakin' GI Joes, Secret Wars, Super Powers, and Transformers were also what got me hooked. Minimates are somehow the perfect toy, and joining this board has only reinforced my love for the damn things. By the way, now is a great time to be getting into them, with all kinds of releases coming in the next few months.

As for your Radioactive Man custom, we are getting an official, modern version this summer with the "Thunderbolts" box set at SDCC.

post-1827-1241669567_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard Clay!

Yeah these things are pretty evil you think I'll just get one pack or one team and before you know it you're up to your... erm..Ankles in the little buggers!

T.

That's how it pretty much started for me. T, it's nice to see you around! :)

Clay, welcome!

Jenny

T.

I have to take issue with this comment. Yes, one Minimate takes up less space than one Marvel Legend, but when you get 500+ Minimates, this logic no longer holds, in my opinion.

Take a look at this thread and see for yourself.

Edited by karamazov80

Glad to have you here, Mirymate. You may not always be so happy to be here, since, as with any addiction, there will be dark times between the highs. Minimates are very sneaky, even for experience toy collectors. They're so small and cute, take up so little space... how could they be hurtful?

Your descent into hell has just begun; welcome to the family. :)

Edited by Cappy

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll try not to wear it out too quickly.

And as to the R-Man... I saw that he was coming, but I will probably end up making one anyway. Sure the orange getup is probably a more realistic containment suit, but I prefer the glowing-fat-chinaman-in-a-tunic look. (followed closely by glowing-fat-chinaman-in-a-1950's-women's-bathingsuit look)

I have an admitted odd facination with the second Masters of Evil. Not sure why. But R-Man, Klaw, Melter, and Whirlwind are among my all time favorite Marvel villains and the first group I think of when I hear Masters of Evil. I know, it's weird. But we already have an Ultron...

Still think they'd make a smokin boxed set in any scale

Okay maybe not smokin in the SuperHero Squad scale, but you know what I mean.

Okay maybe you don't, but I'd buy the set at least. In any scale. I'm pathetic that way.

• 2 years later...

Soooo... what ever happened to Mirymate?

Well I'll try to make a long story short. When last we spoke, almost one year ago, I was letting you know my father was recovering from surgery. He should have had cancer, but he didn't. Like under his circumstances, only 3% of patients come out cancer free. To say that time was full of a myriad of emotions was an understatement. It was during his recovery that I finally admitted to myself that I was not well myself. Depression runs strong and deep on his side of my family, and I had denied my own growing symptoms for years. But last year I agreed to seek treatment. That's a whole other set of stories. Needless to say thanks to better living through chemistry "I'm feeling MUCH better now." (Man I miss Night Court)

I do feel bad for being gone so long, I see you repainted while I was out. Lord only knows what anyone's avatar is these days. Just happy to be back.