UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Return of DC minimates possible?

Personally I think DCD is missing out on a big opportunity. I mean Blammos? (Or whatever their called.) I can't see that selling nearly as well as minimates. Sadly DST is known for giving false hope, I can't even tell you how many times BTVS/ATS fans have been excited about the possibilities of new figures, completing the line when we get another cancelled notice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think DCD is missing out on a big opportunity. I mean Blammos? (Or whatever their called.) I can't see that selling nearly as well as minimates. Sadly DST is known for giving false hope, I can't even tell you how many times BTVS/ATS fans have been excited about the possibilities of new figures, completing the line when we get another cancelled notice.

Of course Blammoids will be a big hit. And by that i mean THEY'RE FREAKING HUGE. I liked them (well, Hal and Sinestro...) until i saw "actual size" under something that looked like a pullout-poster in a ToyFare issue. Anybody need a doorstop??

And i will not forgive DCD until Black Canary, Ivy, and Indigo are at my fingertips. Until then they can go melt in a tar pit with the SDCC Hal Jordans i have no shot at. An by that i mean the price. EE has a pre-order for the complete set, at $300!! :angry:

Maybe its DST's "never say never" attitude that keeps stirring up these topics. If they'd just once say that "hell would sooner freeze over" than us seeing another Speed Racer Minimate, maybe a topic would finally die and stay dead.

So I may be getting another speed racer mate???

They had the buffy license going good for a while. And it still has good dvd sales. Plus buffy had 7 great years of tv and a current comic continuing the show, platoon had 1 movie. I think they are definately in the realm of possibility's.

And yeah, it probably is personal, as George Brewer is known to suck. If I meet him at SDCC then I am going to badger the hell out of him.

And seriously, I need a detailed speed racer.

All I know is that you'll have a job finding the early waves of DC Minimates for sale despite the fact that they were produced in comparatively high numbers without chase figures & very little discounting. The latter waves just made the numbers up to a certain extent & interest was hardly promoted by either faction (DST or DC) if I recall.

If I had to choose a line 'with legs' then I have to be honest DC would get my vote over anything other than Marvel........it may well be the politics of the hour stopping these.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Good point about the latter half of the line not being promoted well. If you mix that with some weird choices toward the end, I understand why not as many were selling.

It's just such a shame that a profitable license with high quality figures is being shelved because of poor direction from DC Direct.

I have always been more 'Marvel' than 'DC' & I failed to know half the figures that were produced in these waves. It actually inspired me to start reading some of the DC comics I have hoarded away yet never read * . I am sure the DC 'mates made DST & Marvel 'raise their game' because at the time the DC gear was outstripping Marvel . Whether they'll appear again? I hope so.... but I hope I get wind of it before I unload all my Martian Manhunters :lol:

* long story about buying comic collections.... years ago !

Since this threads here I'm gonna ask something that's been on mind for awhile:

Since TRU wants Minimate vehicles and last time DC minimates were mass market they came with vehicles is the mini-flyer a possible way for DC minimates to continue?

Somethings to consider:

-Does Mattel's license prevent another company from making any mass market DC toys? I know they have a 'master license' for character selection, but does this mean a 'master license' to be the only producer of 'action figures'?

-Assuming the mini-flyers are solid little planes and not mini-blocks do they infringe on Lego's licensing for Batman blocks? Does Lego still hold the Batman license? (I know they made some Dark Knight products and just made "Lego Batman" but I haven't seen any new Batman sets lately and a lot of the old ones ended up on clearance)

I am probably the C3 lines main proponent but the actual vehicles that were sold have little residual value because it seems that most collectors,here at least,just want the figures. Despite the announced BSG vehicles don't hold your breath.

Batman Lego is one of my worst decisions ever ....wait until they drop in price..... :( Check ebay :huh:

Yeah, I wish I would have picked up all those sets I saw lying around on sale at Tuesday morning. I actually bought the Arkham Asylum set for $30 or so, thinking I could use the jail for a Minimate diorama of some kind, then returned it because I thought it was too expensive for that. Never underestimate crazy LEGO collectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGO-7785-Batman-Arkha...alenotsupported

it drives me nuts thinkin' about all the cool dc characters that still haven't gotten the 'mate treatment yet. i-yi-yi! :(

4282.gif

300px-Teen_Titans_Index_1.jpg

legion1_02.jpg

:(

oh, god! just the thought of the rest of the classic golden age jsa gettin' the 'mate treatment. gasp! the pain... it hurts, it hurts. {sob!}