UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Return of DC minimates possible?

You know I'm always amazed at the cancellation of the DCD Mates to be honest. These were selling pretty well at my local shops and they were surprised when the line was cancelled. I'm also amazed at how quickly some of the members jump in and start chastising someone for starting yet another DCD Mate thread :confused: I can't speak for anyone else on how they read the forum, but I hit the "view new post" link and read or post to things I like. What I don't do is jump into a thread and start pissing and moaning about someone's optimism :rolleyes: All that does is bring negativity to the forum, any forum for that matter and to me, that isn't what this forum is about.

Edited by The_Donster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm always amazed at the cancellation of the DCD Mates to be honest. These were selling pretty well at my local shops and they were surprised when the line was cancelled. I'm also amazed at how quickly some of the members jump in and start chastising someone for starting yet another DCD Mate thread :confused: I can't speak for anyone else on how they read the forum, but I hit the "view new post" link and read or post to things I like. What I don't do is jump into a thread and start pissing and moaning about someone's optimism :rolleyes: All that does is bring negativity to the forum, any forum for that matter and to me, that isn't what this forum is about.

I agree with you on most of what you say Donster & I was one of those who perhaps(?) chastised the guy. My only gripe was that the thread-title implied that this was a 'News' item as originally it had no question mark at the end of it......it now has because it has been edited (perhaps at my request )which completely alters (at least for me) it's implication. I originally saw the title & excitedly expected news....which wasn't forthcoming .

Well, I love all 'Mates (well comic related) I'm happy to have both Marvel and DC ones, but I still want some more DC I'd actually prefer some Vertigo ones to mainstream DC and I think Watchmen is under Vertigo (that's why Mattel are not allowed to use the Watchmen characters) so I'd love a boxset of Vertigo characters. Constantine, 2.5" Swamp Thing, Spider Jerusalem and Rorschach, maybe Jesse Custer or Cassidy. Perfect box-set.

Let's all reach a compromise then:

Minimates based on creator-owned comics that may have either been published by DC or otherwise brushed paths with DC? Possible.

Minimates based on DC comics characters? Dead.

Agree :)

Yep we have been down this road a few hundred times. I dont blame the noobs...I mean they are here because they love mates too...it is just we are such a tight knit bunch here we have talked this thing into the ground months an months ago...would I give my left nut for a two face minimate...yep, but sadly it isnt going to happen.

My only advice is avoid topic posts that look like you may have a scoop when it is just speculation or wishful thinking...it is just kind of common courtesy around these parts.

play on boys play on.

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

My only gripe was that the thread-title implied that this was a 'News' item

same here, it was a bit misleading. here I am, being out of the loop for a bit, coming in and finding out the dc minimates were discontinued. then later coming in and seeing "return of dc minimates possible?" I am like "OMG" at this. then I read on, and was seriously depressed.

No need to apologize on my account. I've pretty much accepted the fact that nothing short of "DC Wave 9 Announced" is going to convince me that these are on the table. And even then I'll need pictures from two reputable sources.

Well, hopefully this doesn't discourage you from posting in the forum ;) We all started out as noobies and we're still around. Like you, I would love to see more DCD Mates, but the powers that be have sandbagged that notion, no matter how much we flooded their forum :D

Its funny someone mentioned earlier that they got into minimates due to the DC mates. It was the same with me. Once they made Blue Beetle and Booster Gold I was ecstatic. But when they stopped producing them I was pretty bummed but I think its what really got me into the Marvel mates and I've been really loving a lot of their latest offerings. And its great that the Marvel Mates have returned to ToysRus.

If only it were possible for DCDirect to try and get DC Mates into TRU's, now that DST has started to get them back on the shelves! Just more wishful thinking from another person that thought DC Mates died before their time.

You know what!? I don't think Dunder Mifflin, I mean DST realizes how high us minimate fans can fly.

I say that all of us at MMMV join together and make our own minimate company. We can make boxed sets that include Street Fighter, LOTR, DC, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

And if our company goes under, then we form a new one!

I have already started brainstorming ideas for company names:

MinimateMultiverse Minimates

Ruby-Pick Toys

Michael-Scott Paper Company

Minimate Inc

Hail Ivan

That's already FIVE companies we can start!

Let me know when you start these companies. I'll have to keep refreshing CNN's website just to keep up with all the lawsuits.

We could call ourselves Shocker Toys!

Hmm I thought the idea was to be a company that actually made toys?

T.

Well how about being a company that lies and says that we're actually going to make toys?

And for the record TBT, stop insulting our company or we'll sue you.

This was a response on the ART ASYLUM blog:

"Cameron Hernandez

Hello there, big Minimate fan since the very beginning, I see you are making Minimates of “The Spirit”. Now I can understand the movie line but you are doing a comic book box-set too. I thought Spirit was owned by DC, does this mean you have gotten the go-ahead on any more DC minimates, if so we need some Watchmen badly.

DSTChuck: All the Spirit licensing both comic and movie were handled by the movie studio, so they have nothing to do with DC, sorry."

Edited by EricM

Hmm I thought the idea was to be a company that actually made toys?

T.

To be fair, Shocker has actually, finally (after delay #42311672) brought product to market, which I purchased. I'm the first to admit my devotion to The Maxx borders on the pathological....

• 1 month later...

Sad to see that recent review of the Phily convention (Wizard World I beleive) where the statement was made that DCD has no interest in doing anything with DC minimates inspite of decent sales.

I know any and all conversations about DC Minis get hit with the dead horse thing but the same thing happened after C3 ended.. all hope was squashed. I know it is an extreme long shot but I have still kept hope that there was some way of getting 1 or 2 box sets even if it meant another version of Batman and Superman but included some JLA, JSA icons that were overlooked.

The odd thing at this point is that Minimates are closer to being a mainstream toy, right now at this point in time, more than any other time since inception. If Toys R Us keeps rolling along and the marketing team can keep release times close to time periods of great hype over the particular items.. (i.e. Ghostbusters hitting at the 25 year anniversary and the same summer as the video game/commercial hooplah).. Minis could still be growing in popularity. TV shows, Classic and Modern Movies, Comic events & Comic history are rolling on at a crazy pace.. and DC seems to be missing the punch. In the realm of collectible figures they seem to be content with overwhelmingly strange distortions of their properties to brand new lines that go 1 or 2 waves then dead forever.. or into extremely low QC paint jobs on overpriced figures with little to zero display ability.

I'll never profess to understand the collectible toy industry and it's decissions beyond bottom line profits.. but this just seems dumb. It makes me wonder if there is some personal issue involved. If I were calling the shots, I would look at this as a line where we already have a built in collector base with pretty much built in sales and I would look at our comic competition planning their 30th WAVE of the line.. and with comic heroes making a huge come back in the last decade of movies and literature.. it would seem the only thing missing is a smart distribution plan and pull the trigger.

Of course I am a fan and this is overly simplified but out of all the collections I've had over my life time.. this is the only one that still feels incomplete.

Sorry for rambling on and on.. but its Monday morning.. and avoiding work is a strong temptation. :)

Vox

good post, man.

hell, i know what you mean... it drives me nuts thinkin' about all the cool dc characters that still haven't gotten the 'mate treatment yet. i-yi-yi! :(

Not to continue to stir things up, but was there any ever contact info put out for fans to contact DC Direct about them cancelling Minimates? Whenever I look for info, they seem to have made it incredibly difficult to find (or I just don't know where to look).

I think the end of DCD 'mates is a bit different than the end of C3. I think C3 ended due mostly to problems with the building blocks part of the set. So, in a bit of a reboot, DCD stepped in and partnered with AA directly on a Minimate venture. They gave it 8 waves, with decent sales (not sure how decent, as the later waves started to pile up on shelves at my LCS, but I digress), then DCD said 'Nah'. There's been reports, though I don't know how accurate, and you'll likely never find an official source, that said that DST and DCD didn't really enjoy each other's company. If this was the case, I have my doubts that any number of emails or card backs you send in would make a great deal of difference.

Unless someone can convince Mattel to take their half of the DC license and pour it into Minimates (assuming that's even possible, since I have no info on just what that deal includes), I really don't see these coming off the shelf for a third round.

Maybe its DST's "never say never" attitude that keeps stirring up these topics. If they'd just once say that "hell would sooner freeze over" than us seeing another Speed Racer Minimate, maybe a topic would finally die and stay dead.

Edited by drgnrbrn316