UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is the Kung Faux "rare"?

I won this sucker on eBay for an awesome price and he arrived on Saturday.

I'm kinda on the fence about opening him, as he'd look sweet in some Kung Fu (or should I say faux) poses rather than in a wrinkled, almost musty bag.

Is he rare enough that I should keep him in the bag? Will I regret it if I open him?

This has be thinking we should start a minimate "price-guide" :)

This has be thinking we should start a minimate "price-guide" :)

This idea has come up on more than one occasion, and I think the consensus view is that it just wouldn't work. Like comics, Minimate prices fluctuate so much that any such list would likely be off to begin with, and then would have to be revised every few weeks, whenever a Riot Spidey sells for $30 on EBay or whatever.

This gets to your question. The Kung Faux Minimate is considered to be fairly rare, I think, but if you threw one up on EBay, it may sell for $5. So what is its "value"? Who can say? Depends on the whims of the market. I certainly don't think that he would yield the consistently high price of, say, Stealth Iron Man variant, though. I'm sure someone here with more familiarity with this figure can give you more specific insight.

Regarding whether to open him, if monetary value is a consideration at all for you, then keep him closed. Personally, if I were you, I would probably open him up.

Edited by karamazov80

Rare?..... Fairly. Valuable?....No,not really.

Therein lies the Minimate conundrum of rarity measured against 'value'. The best example of this conundrum is GSX Men characters Nightcrawler & Thunderbird....Thunderbird is far rarer yet generally achieves less than half the 'value' of a Nightcrawler....purely because one figure is more sought after than the other.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I'm opening him :D

good call ;) I don't think I have any mates left in the box.

scratch that, I have hulk and iron man still in the avengers box, and one of the iron mans untouched in the "ages" boxset

edit: AND the hollywood video SF two pack

regardless! minimates are fun to play with :D

p.s. steve brule is awesome

Edited by killcharlesdead