UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars Box Set

drgnrbrn316

Has anyone considered the possibility that we want Spidey in this set so it will sell well to casual fans at TRU? If it sells well, they are much more likely to request more box sets like this in the future. If it sells poorly, we may never see one again.

QFT brother. Just keep telling yourself "In Spidey We Trust"

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When's the cut off on this going to be and the lineup foramlly announced.

That’s right True Believers! Beginning today and continuing until May 31st, fans will be able to visit ArtAsylum.com and cast their ballots in deciding which of their favorite characters will be included in the exclusive Secret Wars Minimates box set.
Edited by metaphorge

Has anyone considered the possibility that we want Spidey in this set so it will sell well to casual fans at TRU? If it sells well, they are much more likely to request more box sets like this in the future. If it sells poorly, we may never see one again.

I hate to say it, but without spiderman this box set has zero chance

of selling to kids at retail. Specialty sure but not retail

Burn in hell minimate spidey I hate you but damn it I need you!!!

moc847

I can't help but wonder what the true standings would look like if all the different camps hadn't found ways to cheat their favorite to look better compared to the others.

I'm not suggesting the conspiracy that Chuck is IP spoofing to make Spidey look good, rather I'm talking about all of those in the Molecule Man, or Storm, or Beyonder camps who are using every IP address their computer labs can spare to keep things competitive. I'm sure the Web head has his own camp of supporters that are exploiting the holes in anonymous poll voting too.

I guess.

I keep forgeting this is suppossed to be a TRU thing, not the usual small market exclusive.

From that stand point, I guess having both a popular X-Man and a Spidey would be a better thing for the masses.

Darn masses.

In that case, why don't we just make it a four-pack of Spiderman, Wolverine, Captain America and the Hulk....

Sarcasm aside, DST asked us to vote for the one figure I'd like to see in the pack. It certainly is not Spider-Man (by my calculations I'll be purchasing at least five Spider-Man minimates in the next 12 months, and I just purchased six in the previous 12 months), so, did not vote for him (I voted for the Beyonder, since it is a Secret Wars pack and he belongs in it, especially considering the character has gotten over 300 total votes). Simple.

I'm not sure Bathing in Mud Spider-Man is the best choice to sell this set to the "casual fan". Unless I miss my guess, this is going to be in-stores around the same time Wave 30 is, and I'm not sure having a Spidey in EVERY box is a good selling point. Won't those 'casual fans' just buy a two-pack with Spidey in it?

Edited by metaphorge

I can't help but wonder what the true standings would look like if all the different camps hadn't found ways to cheat their favorite to look better compared to the others.

If only the nature of man was not such. . .very profound suggestion, drgn.

Has anyone kconsidered the possibility that we want Spidey in this set so it will sell well to casual fans at TRU? If it sells well, they are much more likely to request more box sets like this in the future. If it sells poorly, we may never see one again.

In that case, why don't we just make it a four-pack of Spiderman, Wolverine, Captain America and the Hulk....

Sarcasm aside, DST asked us to vote for the one figure I'd like to see in the pack. It certainly is not Spider-Man (by my calculations I'll be purchasing at least five Spider-Man minimates in the next 12 months, and I just purchased six in the previous 12 months), so, did not vote for him (I voted for the Beyonder, since it is a Secret Wars pack and he belongs in it, especially considering the character has gotten over 300 total votes). Simple.

I'm not sure Bathing in Mud Spider-Man is the best choice to sell this set to the "casual fan". Unless I miss my guess, this is going to be in-stores around the same time Wave 30 is, and I'm not sure having a Spidey in EVERY box is a good selling point. Won't those 'casual fans' just buy a two-pack with Spidey in it?

QFT brother. Just keep telling yourself "Enough God-Damned Spideys!"

A goop covered Spider-Man isn't going to be the difference between this set selling to the "casual" fans or not. These things don't sell to casual fans, they sell to collectors and comic book fans. No little kid is going to say "Look Mommy ! I have no clue who these other three figures are, but I must buy it for goop covered Spider-Man !"

Edited by sha_ckwave

Or, an even simpler explanation, that lots of people actually like Spidey?

Everyone likes Spidey. That issue is whether or not everyone wants another Spidey Minimate. I have considered what Luke suggests, but figured that if DST is finally going to ask for our opinions, I'm not going to be very concerned about what "will sell," but rather with what "I want." If they wanted the set to sell to the most people, then I would not have suggested posting a referendum poll on a site that most "casual" fans who will impulse buy Minimates at the TRU will never see.

Everyone likes Spidey. That issue is whether or not everyone wants another Spidey Minimate. I have considered what Luke suggests, but figured that if DST is finally going to ask for our opinions, I'm not going to be very concerned about what "will sell," but rather with what "I want." If they wanted the set to sell to the most people, then I would not have suggested posting a referendum poll on a site that most "casual" fans who will impulse buy Minimates at the TRU will never see.

Pretty much my exact thoughts.

This is a FAN poll, which means some fans want the Spidey, but it shouldn't be brought to the point where he is the only way this set will sell. If it were that way, wouldn't each and every TRU 2-pack have to include a Spidey?

Edited by the punisher=D

Has anyone kconsidered the possibility that we want Spidey in this set so it will sell well to casual fans at TRU? If it sells well, they are much more likely to request more box sets like this in the future. If it sells poorly, we may never see one again.

QFT brother. Just keep telling yourself "Enough God-Damned Spideys!"

A goop covered Spider-Man isn't going to be the difference between this set selling to the "casual" fans or not. These things don't sell to casual fans, they sell to collectors and comic book fans. No little kid is going to say "Look Mommy ! I have no clue who these other three figures are, but I must buy it for goop covered Spider-Man !"

And you know this through you vast, multi demographic study, right? You've crunched the numbers, and if it doesn't sell to the comic buyers, it won't sell. If that WERE indeed the case, we'd never have gotten them at Target AND Walmart AND TRU. There would be no promo mates. They'd sit there on the pegs at comic stores like wave 8 of DCD.

Kids buy toys. Children. Non-adults. Sometimes, a lot of times, it's the parents, but the kids are right there telling them what they want. The kids save their allowance, go into the store, say "I want that one" it happens. I've seen it. Hell, I've sold Minimates to children, who bought them on their own. And I think you also underestimate how recognizable Bond Spidey is. There was a little movie called Spider-Man 3. Sure, a lot us us hated it. But kids loved it. And they know a Venom/Spidey when they see one. They'll get it just to play with it and act out the movie.

On top of which...

Or, an even simpler explanation, that lots of people actually like Spidey?

Precisely. So that's 2 holes in your statement, Radio Shack KO. The kids, who DO buy minimates, want Spidey, and the "hardcore comic book fans" also want Spidey. :)

If I can just add my own two cents to this with my own personal experience:

To use Spider-Man as an analogy, there may have been a time from my childhood when out of the entire Marvel Universe Spider-Man would have been the only character I actually recognized. However, even that wouldn't have driven me to be addicted to just variation after tenuous variation of that one single character. At one point I'll probably walk into a toy aisle, stare at shelf after shelf of Hydro-Blaster Spidey, Dune Buggy Hulk, etc. and actually CRAVE some genuine variety.

My point is that it's not impossible for ad nauseaum variations of a single character to turn off or disgust even a real fan of them, which is why I don't exactly believe that the "Kids/Adults all love Spidey, which is why DST must release oodles of him" argument completely holds water.

The "Hydro-Blaster Spidey... argument completely holds water"

A classic. :biggrin:

Spider-Man Minimates are always welcome in my collection although of late I have warmed to Iron-Man whose various incarnations seem to be bloody perfect as Minimates. I am however very tired of the Wolvie-hype...no pun meant but it's overkill.

Well the waves don't ALL need to be Spidey. Even I, who am a hardcore webhead, would have a hard time stomaching that. But here's a point. ToyBiz flooded up with Spideys in the SMC line. And they sold. They really did. Not as fast as the villains, but they sold. Now, this is NOT an excuse for DST to give up a Spidey Minimate line. If we get Hydro-Blast Spidey I quit, right then and there. But a few Spideys, or even a "Lot" (it's 10%) aren't going to kill us. just skip them. They'll sell and we'll get the next wave/box set soon enough.

Will Spidey help sell this set? I don't know. possibly. I can't think he'd hurt more than Jesus-Juice Beyonder. But I simply don't know.

I see Matt lurking. I wonder what he thinks of all this?

If I can just add my own two cents to this with my own personal experience:

To use Spider-Man as an analogy, there may have been a time from my childhood when out of the entire Marvel Universe Spider-Man would have been the only character I actually recognized. However, even that wouldn't have driven me to be addicted to just variation after tenuous variation of that one single character. At one point I'll probably walk into a toy aisle, stare at shelf after shelf of Hydro-Blaster Spidey, Dune Buggy Hulk, etc. and actually CRAVE some genuine variety.

My point is that it's not impossible for ad nauseaum variations of a single character to turn off or disgust even a real fan of them, which is why I don't exactly believe that the "Kids/Adults all love Spidey, which is why DST must release oodles of him" argument completely holds water.

I'm a real fan of Spidey but even I've gotten sick of all the versions of him edging new characters out of the running.

The fact that the Dr. Doom won't be made really stinks since this is THE one chance for him to get to show up. I mean, this was when he wore this costume and that's it. Really should be in this set.

In a perfect world, you'd have Beyonder, Captain Marvel, Molecule Man and Storm for the boxed set with a Spidey and Doom set as a TRU exclusive.

... though I'm still sorry to see Ben Grimm go.

I'm a real fan of Spidey but even I've gotten sick of all the versions of him edging new characters out of the running.

The fact that the Dr. Doom won't be made really stinks since this is THE one chance for him to get to show up. I mean, this was when he wore this costume and that's it. Really should be in this set.

In a perfect world, you'd have Beyonder, Captain Marvel, Molecule Man and Storm for the boxed set with a Spidey and Doom set as a TRU exclusive.

I could get behind that.

... though I'm still sorry to see Ben Grimm go.

Actually shouldn't it be a Doom v. Energy Beyonder for a 2 pack?

In a perfect world you'd have Cpt Monica, Storm, Molecule Man, and Ben Grimm in the set, a Doom v Energy Beyonder 2 pack, followed by a Secret Wars 2 boxed set with Disco Beyonder, Puma, Dazzeler, and Rachel Summers Phoenix.

Yes, this is a fan poll. And clearly, the fans do want Spidey. He's getting votes. Conspiracy theories aside, I think DST knows very well how much goodwill they'd be burning if they rigged the poll.

So, is the argument actually, "DST ruined the idea of a fan poll by including Spidey to begin with?" They put him in the poll to begin with, I assume, because 1) he was, like it or not, a critical part of the Secret Wars storyline and 2) they had a pretty good feeling he would get picked. They didn't have to rig anything. Include vanilla on your menu, and 9 times out of ten, it's going to get picked before chocolate, strawberry, or pistachio.

Yes, this is a fan poll. And clearly, the fans do want Spidey. He's getting votes. Conspiracy theories aside, I think DST knows very well how much goodwill they'd be burning if they rigged the poll.

So, is the argument actually, "DST ruined the idea of a fan poll by including Spidey to begin with?" They put him in the poll to begin with, I assume, because 1) he was, like it or not, a critical part of the Secret Wars storyline and 2) they had a pretty good feeling he would get picked. They didn't have to rig anything. Include vanilla on your menu, and 9 times out of ten, it's going to get picked before chocolate, strawberry, or pistachio.

Agreed 100% :)

Just noticed the poll. For the first time I can remember, Spider-Bond has dropped to fifth place as of this posting. :ohmy: But we all know that he won't stay down for long. ;)

Sadly I think he will stay in the top four.

Just noticed the poll. For the first time I can remember, Spider-Bond has dropped to fifth place as of this posting. :ohmy: But we all know that he won't stay down for long. ;)

She took back her lead for a while, but all the jostling for 4th place has caught up to Storm AGAIN :sad:

The last 24 hours of this thing is going to kill me...

Did anyone else get the e-mail from Toys R Us inviting fans to vote in THIER online poll?

I was shocked and excited to see Minimates being given this kind of exposure by the biggest toy retailer out there. This is a huge step for the brand.

That said, now that this poll is going out to the masses, I think more recognizable characters will be getting more votes.

Did anyone else get the e-mail from Toys R Us inviting fans to vote in THIER online poll?

I was shocked and excited to see Minimates being given this kind of exposure by the biggest toy retailer out there. This is a huge step for the brand.

That said, now that this poll is going out to the masses, I think more recognizable characters will be getting more votes.

Very interesting. They must be combining the votes later? The TRU site doesn't give you the results like the AA site does...