UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Anime and Manga

But the one miyazaki movie I always wanted to watch is the Lupin the 3rd classic,castle of caliastro,which I heard is the best of the Lupin films.

I'd agree with that, but I am a bit biased.

Ghibli News here: Ponyo is (hopefully) coming out over here on August 14.

I will definitely be looking forward to that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the one miyazaki movie I always wanted to watch is the Lupin the 3rd classic,castle of caliastro,which I heard is the best of the Lupin films.

oh, so what do you think was the best lupin film?

From the ones I seen, I believe mystery of mamo was the best(but then again I haven't seen that many)

oh, so what do you think was the best lupin film?

From the ones I seen, I believe mystery of mamo was the best(but then again I haven't seen that many)

Like I said, Castle of Cagliostro (because I love Studio Ghibli). But honestly, they're all good.

Seriously, go get it; you won't be disappointed! B)

• 1 month later...

Because I kinda turned this thread into mostly talking about Studio Ghibli, I thought I would share the news that there is a good chance Miyazaki may be there. Apparently Ponyo is going to have a "big presence" At the comic con this year.

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2009/06/ponyo-at-comiccon.html

One more reason why I wished this was the year I kept my plans to go.

Edited by pickle

Noooo!!! One more thing to make me sick that I'm not going this year...ugh. I even had a small, window of time to actually make this possible but I waited too long to get tickets as I had another trip planned shortly after the Con and was concerned about finances (with all of the great stuff coming-out this Summer).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I figured the people checking this thread would be the only ones possibly intrested in the idea of trading Anime and Manga, so instead of starting a new thread in the flea market or add to the sell/trade lists I have done this here. If the mods decide this is a bad idea or in the wrong section, let me know and I will delete or move it.

Here is what I have, all DVD's are sealed in original package and region 1.

Yu Gi Oh Dawn of the Duel part 2 (290 minutes)

Astro Boy Greatest Astro Adventures (168 minutes)

Inuyasha Complete season 1 (675 minutes)

Inuyasha Complete season 2 (675 minutes)

DragonBall GT Calculations (82 minutes)

DragonBall GT Realization (62 minutes)

DragonBall GT The Lost Episodes [4] Conviction (62 minutes)

Spiral: What are the Blade Children? (125 minutes)

Spiral: Disarming Fate (100 minutes)

What I am looking to trade for are:

DVD -- Bleach -- Any volume or boxset -- sealed or opened -- region 1

DVD or VHS -- Studio Ghibli Films -- anything -- sealed or opened -- any region

DVD -- Venus Wars -- Movie -- sealed or opened -- region 1

If you see something you like and have anything from my want list, drop me a pm and we may work something out.

While offering me what you have to trade, please include condition, inserts, slip cover or freebies (stuff that came with the DVD) in your descriptions.

Thank you :)

• 7 months later...

Remember kids: friends don't let friends necro threads. Fortunately, I don't have any friends. ;)

Truthfully this is a bit more of a rant than a discussion. Ponyo came out on DVD yesterday. I wanted to get it, as it's $17 at Best Buy. Well, usually when they bring out a new movie, related merchandise goes on sale, right? Ponyo got launched under Pixar's new Studio Ghibli title, nice case to identify them all. My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service got put out as well. No Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away though. :( So, are these on sale? NO! They're still $25! Anime never goes on sale, no matter what comes out!

Case in point. I watched Romeo X Juliet. Amazing show. Highly recommended. I can't give it enough awesome points. I got V.1 from the library, decide I want to get both volumes, and low and behold they're $50 each. Even online the cheapest is $33 each. That... that's insane!

So, why is anime so freaking expensive?! Is it because it's imported? Is it because they can? It's ticking me off quite badly. This is why I YouTube 99% of my anime. That and truthfully I don't watch that much of it.

In related news, Lucky Star the complete series comes out in April. Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 is getting a complete season release instead of volumes, mainly due to that Endless Eight debacle. Sailor Moon will be 20 years old next year, and they're gearing up for the complete series release in Japan and, more likely than not, America.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

About Ponyo... The Disney website has a coupon to get $10 off the Bluray (which also comes with the DVD) and some places had a deal when you bought Ponyo you got X off Totoro, Kiki's or Castle in the sky (which is the first of many rereleases).

• 2 months later...

-Pulls out the book of Necronocimon to raise this post from the Dead-

Looks like another Ghibli Film will be coming to our North American Theaters.

Under the Touchstone Banner, Disney will finally release Tales from Earthsea on August 13.

I used to be a big fan of anime and especally manga, and would spend lord knows how much on the English adaptasions.

However about two years ago I just started to lose interested. I was also really getting into American comics and just found them more interesting in general. I've pretty much sold my entire collection, bar One Piece as I still follow it and Rave as it was another favourite, although I may get rid of it eventually.

I've never been more than a moderate fan of anime and manga, though I've always enjoyed the three Dragonball series, as well as Slayers. I watched Pokémon almost religiously as a kid, and I still play the games from time to time.

As for manga, I've only read Dragonball (I have volumes 1-4, 6, 9, 10, 14-19, and 26-41 in Japanese, and have read all 42 volumes in English).

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw My Neighbor Totoro last night, it was great. Surprised how engaging it was the entire time, considering there's basically no plot, and the main two characters are some of the most believable children I've ever seen in a movie. That one shot at the bus stop is brilliant!

Bit bummed that the Studio Ghibli adaptation of The Borrowers isn't going to be a Miyazaki, but still have high hopes for it, loved the books when I was a kid.

I also caught the Eureka Seven movie recently, that one was a bit disappointing. It's set in an alternate universe to the TV series, and has a bunch of re-used animation in the middle (which I gather a lot of TV-to-film animes do, but it was crazy distracting). Didn't really capture what made the show so great.

And I also saw The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which was quite funny and clever, although the last part of it was a bit jarring, like a total shift in tone.

Edited by battlecat

Finally saw My Neighbor Totoro last night, it was great. Surprised how engaging it was the entire time, considering there's basically no plot, and the main two characters are some of the most believable children I've ever seen in a movie. That one shot at the bus stop is brilliant!

been wanting to see this again, I saw it when I was a kid, so i want to see it again now that I'm more older, but 20 bucks for the dvd seriously?

been wanting to see this again, I saw it when I was a kid, so i want to see it again now that I'm more older, but 20 bucks for the dvd seriously?

Well, that is what one would expect from Disney and their "vault." You could try to track down the older english dub released by Fox Studio. There is a chance it may cost more though.

okay guys, I just saw toy story 3 and I officially want a totoro plushie!

and also castle of cagliostro is probably my favorite miyazaki film ever

Edited by SErge

I watched the second Negima series, and my head still hurts. It's like someone chopped the manga up into a fine powder, snorted it, and this is the drug-fueled outcome.

Yeah, most harem series are like that. Love Hina is good though, I would recommend reading the manga but not the anime. The anime just goes nowhere and doesn't cover the whole series.

I just finished reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (all six parts, Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, Golden Wind, Stone Ocean). I should start reading Steel Ball Run which was at first a separate series but then Araki told us that it was part of the JoJo universe but an alternate reality.

I hope Prunus Girl gets published in the US soon, it's really funny. It's about this cute girl claiming to be a boy that actually looks, and sounds like a girl trolling the school. Their gender is unconfirmed.