UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Anime and Manga

We really don't have one of these yet?? Really?! I know this site has Aniem and Manga fans, so lets unite.

Yeah, as you can here from the opening statement, i am a huge Anime/manga fan. The storylines are great, the art is beautiful for just black-and-white, and it's just fun to read (and/or watch) in general. Basically this thread is to bring together the aniem anf manga fans on the board to discuss, rant, drool over, and enjoy anime and manga.

For a little info, my fav animes/mangas:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (long names FTW)

Fate/stay night

Lucky Star

DBZ series

Code Geass: LeLouch of the Rebellion

Death Note

Trying to get into:

Shakugan no Shana

Nanoha StrikerS

So yeah. Feel free to start discussing. :)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into anime as I used to be,but these will always be my favortie

Trigun

cowboy bebop

some flcl

LUPIN THE third(best anime ever)

one piece

dragonball z

samurai champloo

tenjho tenge

as for manga ,I'm more of a manga fan than an anime fan,but

i haven't read in awhile but

trigun

one piece

tenjho tenge

dragonball

dr.slump

bleach(soul society arc only, everything else I don't really care for)

wanting to get into"

ultimate muscle(orginal and new version)

godzilla

pokemon adventures

lupin the third the most wanted

I've only seen what little anime the kid's network here has aired, and from that limited exposure I've enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note, but I've had two series really hook me in... One is Bleach (which is currently in the middle of the first filler arc here, and after a rocky start I'm actually liking it a lot, especially as they've tied it back into the Soul Society a little) and the other is Eureka Seven, which I'm mildly obsessed with, to the point that I've spent fairly ridiculous amounts on eBay to pick up the annoyingly rare production art books and figures that came out in Japan when it originally aired.

Oh and I also caught a few films at a nearby indie theatre when I was in school -- my favourite was Spirited Away, and I liked Akira a lot.

Also I know it's not technically anime, but the American cartoon Avatar is brilliant, and takes all its storytelling and art cues from anime. Anyway, good thread! I'll have to check out some of the titles people have listed...

Edited by battlecat

Well, for anime I really like Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell S.O.C., Initial D, Cardcaptors and one show I bought the complete DVD set of is Witch Hunter Robin. IMO, the best anime out there. Many will argue different. I will buy everything Studio Ghibli whenever it is released as well.

For Manga, I like more the American series done in a manga way. Mostly Takeshi Miyazawa. I am really looking forward to the BSG Tokyopop coming out soon.

Other that that, I don't pay attention to any new Manga/Anime coming out. Good idea for a topic though.

I've been meaning to check out Ghost in the Shell, but haven't gotten around to it. The more obscure dubs are pulling me back. Cardcaptors was okay when it was on, but was kinda repetitive.

No clue that there was BSG Tokyopop coming out. Then again, that's probably because i hate Tokyopop; i only read one of their publishings, which is Fate/stay night.

And your welcome for the thread. I thought it was kind of odd that we've never had one.

Anime = national institution here

To put things into perspective, Yu Yu Hakusho was a phenomenon here almost a full decade before it got popular in the States, and at one point a discussion of our political history actually involved the censorship of Voltes V :blink:

(Not really an anime diehard, but Rurouri Kenshin remains a personal favorite of me and my siblings)

Basilisk (or the Kouga Ninja Scrolls)

Raxephon

Battle Royale ( Read the book, then the manga, then see the first movie, forget the second movie)

and if you want something to make you laugh after you have tried several genres

Excel Saga

And as mentioned

Fooly Cooly

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I haven't really watched much anime in a loooong time--since I was a youngster, back before anime was very well known here, and I had to rent the VHS tapes from this one shop in downtown New Orleans that had "Twilight of the Cockroaches," etc. BUT, back when I did watch them, I enjoyed:

-Akira (still love it)

-Black Magic M-66; unstoppable killer Terminator-like robots are always great

-Speed Racer (of course)

-Ninja Scroll

-Fist of the North Star

-Area 88 (interest stemmed mostly from my love of the SNES video game)

-Vampire Hunter D (another Sci Fi Channel movie that I really liked)

and to a lesser extent:

-Guyver

-Bubblegum Crisis

Dragon Ball Z wasn't available in the U.S. at the time, and though I watched and enjoyed some bootleg copies of it when I was a junior in high school (because of this crazy internet business), I was really getting a bit too old for it at that time.

Edited by karamazov80

I read/have read:

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist

Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World

Buso Renkin

Rurouni Kenshin

Hikaru No Go

Fullmetal Alchemist

Reborn!

Naruto

Naruto Shippuden

And I have watched:

Pokémon (obvious)

All seasons and series' of Yu-Gi-Oh! (So proud of myself :) )

Buso Renkin

Rurouni Kenshin

Hikaru No Go

Fullmetal Alchemist

Reborn

All seasons of Naruto

(Sorry If I repeated them :P they all have an anime and manga)

So yeah, I am a Shonen Jump fan :yes:.

No offense, but that Yugio stuff makes me mad. I know some of you youngsters were probably into that stuff and Pokemon at an early age, and thus have an irrational appreciation of it, but we had great stuff like Spidey and his Amazing Friends and GI Joe as kids! Nowadays, kids get the shaft.

Akira, Battle Angel (GUNNM), Capt. Harlock, Devilman, Galaxy Express 999 (all Matsumoto Universe except Star Blazers don't know why), Gatchaman, Guyver, Lupin III, all Miyazaki stuff (Nauisicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.), Vampire Hunter D, Trigun, Fist of Northstar, Crying Freeman, Cowboy Beebop are among my favorites. I tend to gravitate toward titles of a supernatural, magical, or apocalyptic/violent nature. I've been watching/reading since the early 80's, but I could never really got into the giant-robo or cyber-type stuff. While I don't care much for most contemporary stuff (though some of it is lovely), occasionally I come across something I like. While not specifically anime or manga, I really liked the live-action show Garo from a while back. B)

No offense, but that Yugio stuff makes me mad. I know some of you youngsters were probably into that stuff and Pokemon at an early age, and thus have an irrational appreciation of it, but we had great stuff like Spidey and his Amazing Friends and GI Joe as kids! Nowadays, kids get the shaft.

Thundarr pwns both of those...."aaaAh-HE!!"

*Johnny Quest was pretty cool too (villains actually died).

Hmmm... That's weird. I watch Yu-Gi-Oh! and Spidey and his Amazing Friends, Spider-Man the old 60's series... 90's series... Batman the 90's (i think)... Does that make me old fashioned? :blink:

(no offense taken ;))

Does that make me old fashioned? :blink:

I think it certainly makes you more well-rounded than myself ;)

True, kids today have access to an overwhelming amount of stuff (if they choose) with syndication, internet, dvds, etc. We had to watch most of the crap we watched because that's all there was (oooo, 5 whole channels and no recordable-devices)! :biggrin: Good for the imagination (yay toys!), but very limiting.

I remember how thrilled I was when Blockbuster Video first opened (they carried a tiny bit of anime), as I was able to broaden my horizons a bit more as well as nostalgically watch some childhood-favorites at my leisure. Between VHS and Cable, it was a magically-liberating time...God we were simpletons! :lol:

On the other hand, there seemed to be many more Saturday morning cartoon options when I was a kid, with, largely, higher quality cartoons. Of course, there is no way for me to make an objective evaluation here, but this is how it seems to me.

On the other hand, there seemed to be many more Saturday morning cartoon options when I was a kid, with, largely, higher quality cartoons. Of course, there is no way for me to make an objective evaluation here, but this is how it seems to me.

I might be misunderstanding you a bit But only if you compare shows to toy lines. All the shows back then (about 25 years I am saying) had shows to drive toy lines. Today though, shows pop up left and right, a lot from Flash, and most don't have any merchandise. Back then it was a cartoon for toys, today it is a cartoon in hopes of toys.

Anyway, to get back on topic, does anybody here watch Studio Ghibli stuff?

My brother is quite the Studio Ghibli buff. He managed to get his hands on a veritable number of their releases, and we're all suckers for Miyazaki's work. Oddly I slightly prefer Howl's Moving Castle to Spirited Away, but that's probably just the girl in me talking :lol:

You can't match variety like this:

http://www.inthe80s.com/saturdays.shtml

... You ARE old. :P

(Seriously though I think I actually remember some of the Hanna-Barbera stuff, not to mention the reruns we'd watched in syndication and on Cartoon Network. And I wasn't even BORN until around '89. :blink:)

My brother is quite the Studio Ghibli buff. He managed to get his hands on a veritable number of their releases, and we're all suckers for Miyazaki's work. Oddly I slightly prefer Howl's Moving Castle to Spirited Away, but that's probably just the girl in me talking :lol:

You can't match variety like this:

http://www.inthe80s.com/saturdays.shtml

... You ARE old. :P

(Seriously though I think I actually remember some of the Hanna-Barbera stuff, not to mention the reruns we'd watched in syndication and on Cartoon Network. And I wasn't even BORN until around '89. :blink:)

The question is: "who doesn't like Studio Ghibli?" The answer: "no one of consequence!" Their work is so lush that it's as close as one is likely to get to the magic of old, classic Disney (it's perfect that Disney promotes them in the States). Tastefully-timeless.

I , too prefer "Howl" over "Spirited", but nothing tops "Nausicaa" for me personally (though "Mononoke" is close)...just epic stuff, beautifully executed. I defy anyone (male or female) to watch "My Neighbor Totoro" and not at least smile. :)

*OMG, I was about your present age when you were born, NorthRaider...that's just deeeepressing! :ohmy:

I , too prefer "Howl" over "Spirited",

Really?? I loved Spirited, like, A LOT. For some reason i just couldn't get into Howl's. Every time it'd be on TV i'd tell myself i need to watch it, but everytime i tried i just couldn't. Huh.

And No Face used to freak me out. :blush: But let's face it; Miyazaki is just phenomenal in general.

I digged spirted away,heck i own it, my friends thought it was dumb,so they gave the tape to me,as for howl's castle that moves, great movie!,as kid I enjoyed kiki's delivery service and totoro,But the one miyazaki movie I always wanted to watch is the Lupin the 3rd classic,castle of caliastro,which I heard is the best of the Lupin films.

Spirited Away has to be my number one Ghibli film. I can never get sick of that one. I happen to be one of those kids that is a giant Ghibli buff. Don't really know why though. I also love Disney, so that could be a part of it. The stories just seem so rich and better then the Disney I grew up with. I also once got in a half hour conversation with a random man who was purchasing Howl's moving castle, turns out he prefers them for his children over anything else.

Ghibli News here: Ponyo is (hopefully) coming out over here on August 14.