UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dragonball:Evolution

So, is Goku the Hobbit from Lord of the Rings? The Hobbit opposite the Hobbit played by Charlie from Lost?

Didn't see Knowing or Dragonball, and probably never will. I did see In Bruges, though, and it was pretty good.

Truth be told, I wouldn't go to see this movie if someone superglued my testicles to a cannonball and fired it into the theater.

The committee that made this movie wanted to focus more on making it "real" than making it authentic. Real. A series that features talking animals, someone blowing up the moon with an energy attack, shape-shifting monkey people, magic balls that summon a dragon who grants wishes, etc.

The few trailers they released building up to this movie didn't do it any favors, as it seemed to focus more on an almost Japanese Smallville. Regular guy with special powers at school. If this was the story of teenage Gohan, then yeah, that might actually sell the movie, but we're talking Goku, who didn't even go to school. And it took several different trailers before the even mentioned the possibility of actual Dragonballs. Oh come on! It's in the fucking title! How can the movie not focus on Dragonballs!?

As much as I'd love to see this and other anime that I like in a live action representation for a wider audience to enjoy, Hollywood has proven time and again that it thinks it knows what makes a good movie and is more than willing to destroy the source material to make a "good movie".

On a side note, I'll be avoiding Leo Dicaprio's Akira, set in New Manhattan, and I don't know what plans Spielberg has for Ghost in the Shell, but after Indy 4, I have very little hope that I'll enjoy it. Hell, the Major might just be played by a guy!

Also, James Cameron is doing a movie based on some anime movie called "Battle Angel." I'm not at all familiar with it, but will probably see it because it is a James Cameron movie.

Truth be told, I wouldn't go to see this movie if someone superglued my testicles to a cannonball and fired it into the theater.

That is one situation in which I might see it.

So, is Goku the Hobbit from Lord of the Rings? The Hobbit opposite the Hobbit played by Charlie from Lost?

Didn't see Knowing or Dragonball, and probably never will. I did see In Bruges, though, and it was pretty good.

Okay, explain that again:)

I think Goku is played by the actor who was Tom Cruse's son in War of the Worlds...

This is indeed true.

And ironically enough, the guy who played Goku was in Smallville once. Back in the 2001 season.

And don't even get me started on the Avatar movie...

Yoiu mean the James Cameron one? That has nothing to do withthe Last Airbender you know... It's its own sci-fi story. And it sounds kinda badass.

Northraider probably means the one that M. Night Shamalyan is directing. Yes, M. Night Shamalyan is directing the Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar The Airbender

Mein gott...

NEIN!!!!!

I don't even like Avatar the Last Airbender but any new Shamalyan project is bad news. He should have stopped with Unbreakable. I LOVED Unbreakable, but after that, they SUCK! Signs was OK but still, sucky. Not suck on a stick like The Village but still some suckage to it.

Northraider probably means the one that M. Night Shamalyan is directing. Yes, M. Night Shamalyan is directing the Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar The Airbender

Mein gott...

NEIN!!!!!

I don't even like Avatar the Last Airbender but any new Shamalyan project is bad news. He should have stopped with Unbreakable. I LOVED Unbreakable, but after that, they SUCK! Signs was OK but still, sucky. Not suck on a stick like The Village but still some suckage to it.

Couldn't agree with you more there.

I think his movies progressively sucked. I mean Unbreakable was AWESOME, Sixth Sense was good, Signs was alright, and so on....

So if he makes Avatar, following his pattern he set, the movie will be worse than The Happening.... EEK!

Shamalyan (bad director) + Avatar (bad cartoon) = Good? NO!

Hey, Avatar (The Last Airbender, I'm not familiar with this James Cameron Avatar you speak of) was pretty good for a Nickelodeon show. Heck, I was surprised when I found out it wasn't even based out of Japan.

I feel kinda bad for M. Night Shyamalan though. Seems the guy hasn't caught a break since "I see dead people." Pretty tough act to follow. Although you'd think he'd actually get the casting right on a clearly ethnically-inspired mythos... <_<

When I was a kid, Signs scared the heck outta me, now that I watch it,it just seems like a good movie killed by a lame ending,

as for the rest of his newer films, I never watched them, since they looked like a snoozefest cept for sixth sense

I never watched avatar, since it looked pretty lame,IMO,(and I didn't' like the artwork) or the fact that Nickelodeon made it and I was too busy watching toonami,back when it existed!

Edited by SErge

(I'm not familiar with this James Cameron Avatar you speak of)

JC's Avatar is a huge 3D movie coming out in December starring Sam Worthington (who is playing Perseus in the Clash of the Titans remake) and Sigourney Weaver as marines (or ex-marines) in a world where aliens manifest themselves by posessing humans (Avatars). And it involves some sort of war, some sort of exploration and well, this is shrouded in secrecy better than that which surrounded Cloverfield. Right there I just summed up pretty much all that everyone knows about the plot.

And Last Airbender is not Japanese based? Wow... Never expected that.

Hmm, James-Cameron Avatar sounds mighty intriguing. But seriously... they're remaking Clash of the Titans?! Uh....

Nickelodeon-Avatar is US-made, though some of the concepts and execution are clearly Asian-inspired. Kinda reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Back on topic.... Dragonball: Evolution just started showing in theaters here, and I have absolutely no idea how it'll do locally. From what I hear though they're making it less like an anime-inspired film and more like a cheesy mash-up of Forbidden Kingdom and Smallville.

(Does best Han Solo impersonation) "... I've got a bad feeling about this."

Hmm, James-Cameron Avatar sounds mighty intriguing. But seriously... they're remaking Clash of the Titans?! Uh....

Nickelodeon-Avatar is US-made, though some of the concepts and execution are clearly Asian-inspired. Kinda reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Back on topic.... Dragonball: Evolution just started showing in theaters here, and I have absolutely no idea how it'll do locally. From what I hear though they're making it less like an anime-inspired film and more like a cheesy mash-up of Forbidden Kingdom and Smallville.

(Does best Han Solo impersonation) "... I've got a bad feeling about this."

perfect way of describing it