UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dragonball:Evolution

I think it looks like a horrible "adaption" of one of the best graphic novels to come from japan. I hate the director, I hate the actors(justin chatwin),and it just plainly looks choppy...I love the books and I über enjoyed the cartoons and I 100% know this movie will be garbage...I want to know what people who have read the books think about the adaption...and as a side note;has anyone else noticed how(in the US)it's not getting press?

I know Dragonball better from the anime (which is practically a national institution here) than the books. When news of the movie adaptation (particularly of the casting choices) got out, even here the reaction was pretty much a vast collective "WTF? Goku's Caucasian?!"

I foresee dismal box office figures for this, and that's just from the potential number of people who'll voluntarily boycott the film. And don't even get me started on the Avatar movie...

Edited by NorthRaider

I hate Dragonball which I will admit is just from the cartoon it just rinse and repeat from what I've seen bring out a villain and have the spikey headed dude reach some glowy Ultra Super Fighting lvl 1200000 which no one has reached before and beat villain. next series new villain he trys the fighting lvl gets beat, goes away trains to a new lvl beats villain. Rinse repeat and so on.

I have to say I hope this movie tanks in a big way not because I'm not a fan but because from as Northraider as said it looks like the licence as been A*s Sh*fted. The studio's know there is a big market for comic/cartoon adaptations and just a little thought on them can bring in big books across the board not just the fanboy money.

I have to agree not casting correctly will kill this for me as well. They could have used it as a vehicle to break the next big young martial arts star to a western audience. It may not have mattered that it didnt have a hollywood star in it the fans would have pushed the movie to success instead of turning on it.

I'll see it,just to see how it turns out,I've been a fan of the series(cept gt)since i was a kid, and I enjoyed the manga(I think it's the best fighting manga out there and the artwork is amazing).To this day my friends and I still discuss the series,though most might shun the movie I'll give it a watch,with an open mind and if it sucks there's always world's strongest,dead zone, and tree of might.

On the casting note I think Chow Yun Fat is fine but as a different character like Grandpa Gohan...James Marsters isn't the perfect choice for piccolo but now that I see the trailers I think he's alrite but that they shouldve stayed true to his original looks...as for the others I think they were crap a*sed choices...

Update: I just found out on RottenTomatoes that a sequel is already being written by the same people...ugh

Edited by entertheninja!

See, as bad as this movie is going to be, it looks like the studio at least spent some time on it, unlike Street Fighter. Personally, i don't want to see it, but i may see it when it comes out on DVD in a month after the movie release, probably just for nostalgia's sake.

So, will it be as bad as Street Fighter: NO (even though i haven't seen SF)

Will it be bad in general: Probably , but not one of the worst movies ever.

Cartoon turned into live action movie movie = BAD

Comic Book turned into live action move = GOOD

Video Game turned into live action move = BAD

Japanese character named Goku turned into white American teenager = BAD

I'm going to watch Dragon Ball GT now, just equalize the balance of DBZ suckiness. :)

You those movies that remind you of a crapload of SUCK?? This isn't one of those. It SURPASSES one of those ten-fold.

I am a huge anime/manga fan, and DBZ got me into it. It's a beuatiful series and it's great name is being shit on by this awful film. It has nothing to do with Dragonball except the characters, comes into the series at the END of Dragonball, used the worst actors they could (i'm starting to hate the no-name actor issue now), and the storyline is going to fail hard.

What did i want?? I wanted a Japanese teen fighting off the Red Ribbon Army in Japan with a talking, pervted pig, and old, bearded master, and a young, blue-haried (fully!!) Bulma, not to mention Goku-and-Captain-Blue violence.

You know what, i could actually rant on about this enough to fill two pages of space. I won't, because i'd get bored.

Overall: fail. AND NO SEQUEL!!!!!!!!

And the worst thing in my opinion is that effing James Wong wants seven effing sequels.

I'll die if they get to the Android/Cell Saga (the highlight of DBZ for me; loved it!!) and make it utter garbage, not to mention ruin 18!! Someone stop them. NOW.

I'd be interested in how they decide to make Buu... if they make other movies with him in it, that is.

The highlight of DBZ for me is the end of the Cell Saga and the beginning of the whole Majon saga I hope it never translates to film...:(

believe me dude, it'll never happen it's just impossible for anyone to accomplish that, they're be to much cgi, and no one will green-light.

This movie will NOT spawn seven sequels, unless they are crappy "direct to DVD" or "made for TV" movies.

And yeah, DBZ didn't get good until the Android/Cell Saga. Before that it was a bunch of people floating in mid-air for long periods of time... :)

And the worst thing in my opinion is that effing James Wong wants seven effing sequels.

I'll die if they get to the Android/Cell Saga (the highlight of DBZ for me; loved it!!) and make it utter garbage, not to mention ruin 18!! Someone stop them. NOW.

I'd be interested in how they decide to make Buu... if they make other movies with him in it, that is.

No Buu won't be in. If Goku just found out he has powers, thats when him and Piccolo fought.

The only good part: chow yun fat

The dissapointing part: no krillin

The worst part: the rest

they changed the whole story :(

I saw the movie action figures at TRU Thursday. They were made with seven different kinds of suck.

I'm a big 3 3/4" scale fan and could not bring myself to buy one. They're not Infinite Heroes suck. Somehow they managed to find a whole new sub-level of suck. Maybe when they go on clearance next month (you know, when the DVD is released) I'll pick up one to put in my Boonta Eve pod race crowd.

I do not have high hopes for the movie.

That's all I have to say about that.

No Buu won't be in. If Goku just found out he has powers, thats when

him and Piccolo fought.

I know we were speaking of the sequels...:)I was flipping thru channels and I got to what I think was nickelodeon(?) and they had DragonBall:Evolution advertised...which is fine...except for the fact they

make it look like the effing Breakfast Club! What the hell man? They

showed none of the action bits and just showed the high school scenes

UPDATE: The movies Friday gross was about 2.1 million at about 2,181 sites which will prove to be at least an opening weekend of 5 million which meets the expectations of Street Fighter:The Legend of Chun Li

Edited by entertheninja!

This movie will NOT spawn seven sequels, unless they are crappy "direct to DVD" or "made for TV" movies.

And yeah, DBZ didn't get good until the Android/Cell Saga. Before that it was a bunch of people floating in mid-air for long periods of time... :)

cell/andriod sage was awesome, but for me it was saiyan saga with vegeta and nappa, it was before super saiyans and all that, it also gave the other z warriors one last fight,before they became useless and weak in the rest of the series, and IMO the fighting was better and the animation, and don't even get started on the original Dragonball, that was just plain genius work!

"WTF? Goku's Caucasian?!"

Japanese character named Goku turned into white American teenager = BAD

The fact that Goku hasn't been cast as an Asian actor doesn't bother me, in the Manga & Anime he's supposed to be an Alien (a Saiyan from Planet Vegeta) so to me I don't mind what ethnicity the actor is playing him.

I've yet to see this movie but I don't really want to waste my money at the Cinema on it, I'll most likely wait for the DVD release, it annoys me how far they've strayed from the original story, if this is supposed to be Dragon Ball then it should've definitely had Krillin and in my opinion focused on the young Goku. I would've liked to have seen Launch and Tien too.

Is it true the running time is only 82 minutes? That's way too short and in the UK I've seen the rating is PG! :blink:

In my opinion a franchise of this nature should've been handled in the same manner as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Harry Potter and Spiderman Movies. It needs a director that is familiar with the source material as it's possible to make a fantastic DB movie series, with the right Direction and budget.

Even though I haven't seen it yet, I do feel this will get good takings over this Easter Period and possibly a sequel, but I fear they're going to completely ruin one of the best Manga and Anime's from Japan. Dragon Ball and DBZ are my favourites so it really does annoy me when I see how they appear to be butchering a classic.

Anyone who is not familiar with the tv shows should seriously get the dvds....if you want to laugh start with the original Dragon Ball series and then for full on action and epic battles you gotta see DBZ.

That's my rant over for now :P

Happy Easter to everyone! Well as for box office for DragonBall:Evolution over the weekend it was in 8th place behind Knowing and in front of Adventureland...it's made about 5 million...I'm not surprised at all.Ive seen two previews total on tv and I guess people didnt know. So has anyone seen it?(oh and btw Knowing is fraggin awesome)