UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I want my Wave 5, 6 and New Caprica!

Starting a new topic, because the BSG Minimates cancelled thread is 19 pages long and getting too unwieldly.

There's obviously a demand for the last waves of BSG minimates from the heavy response to the cancellation news.

I can see why they pulled the plug on the sets. BSG is a niche show on a niche channel. And the minimates are definitely a niche product. On top of that, these last waves of minimates aren't very riveting—the figures look like they could be someone shopping at your local supermarket.

Still, I'd buy them, if they were released.

Here's my suggestion on how Art Asylum/Diamond Select Toys can release them:

1) Ditch the old distribution channel of independent comic shops and national chains--sell them online as exclusives direct from DST or AA.

2) Don't worry about all that fancy packaging, save cost and throw them in a plastic bag, like at conventions

3) Raise the price to help recuperate costs. Say $25 per pack? $25 for the chase?

4) Limit the run to a lot less than before. Maybe as low as 100.

5) Add some really attractive accessories to overcome the lameness of the figures

And how about this as an idea to release the Minimates Vipers (1980 & 2003 versions) and Raiders (1980 & 2003 versions)? They already have the prototypes, so why not cast up some resin kits?

Anyone have any other ideas, aside from reducing the number of figures released?

Since it's already been established that waves 5-6 have a couple of duff variants in them (honestly I can't imagine myself wanting a Captive Six minimate), somebody here suggested DST paring down the releases to maybe just an all-essential wave/boxset or two. The rest of the twelve Cylon models are a must, and I wouldn't mind getting New Caprica Kara along with the previously unreleased characters like Hotdog, Racetrack and Romo Lampkin...

Reducing the run and raising the price is dangerous though. If I recall the old "DST should sell blanks/generic civilian minimates at retail" discussions correctly, creating the tooling for new Minimate sculpts (let alone accessories) is mighty expensive work, which is why they have to justify the tooling costs with a higher run. Let's just say that if you want official-quality anything, a production run lower than at least 500 is NIGH IMPROBABLE.

The obvious drawback in raising the retail price, meanwhile, is obvious. You will end up alienating both the newcomers (the odd BSG fan who's just stumbled on the early minimate waves for the first time) and collectors who would be completely unable to access these essential characters whether by coincidence of geography (like me or any of the UK collectors) or finance. As you said Minimates are a niche product, so DST needs every new fan they could get if they want to keep releasing new ones.

Unfortunately the best option to "revive" BSG 'mates is still the most glaringly well-known one: they have to sell. BIG TIME. Best-case scenario would be either a petition/signature campaign of unholy proportions or a jillion dollars dropping out of the sky and granting DST their golden opportunity to release them. Pretty improbable when you recall why waves 5-6 and new caprica were cancelled in the first place...

Edited by NorthRaider

My initial gut-reaction, patox, was to attempt to completely destroy your suggestion but..I'll use it to illustrate what I FIRMLY believe is going on at the moment ,get it off my chest & hope this thread will subsequently die ..& my hunch with it. None of this can I prove ,it's my inspired opinion.

Many of the box-sets are being produced in fewer numbers now & are subsequently selling out. To recoup costs more than one of the recent box-sets have been produced merely to break even rather than to lose money ...Punisher ,Spirit & to a certain extent Secret Invasion which ,for me, was a disaster.

I could elaborate to a greater degree but my seemingly 'off the wall' theory bodes well for a BSG Finale Whatever which I sincerely believe will appear in a 'surprise somebody or others exclusive box-set'

Unfortunately I may well be wrong but at least you'll see your name as 'Thread Starter' for a while.

I loved BSG & BSG Minimates but they were s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d too bloody far .

Edited by buttheadsmate

To patox I say: have patience, young Minimate fan.

Hmmm... that sounds interesting. Hope for all our sakes that that sentiment comes from some form of inside knowledge and not just optimism. B)

I too hope these all get made and released, and by all I mean ALL. Can't have one missing skin-job from our collections, can we?

I am sorry to admit I was part of the problem with this line... I didn't collect it until the series was over. I liked the show but didn't like it enough to warrant purchasing collectibles from it. That all changed when season 4 rolled around, and changed even more with season 4.5 and the finale. Now I realize this is one of my favorite tv series of all time, and I had to get some collectibles to commemorate it.

I've been able to get completely caught up through various sales and clearances of old product... BBTS, FYE stores, etc. I think I spent just over $100 to get caught up with the modern BBTS line... and that's everything released including the chases, box-sets, razor singles, cylons, etc. And that includes extras to make some customs too. Can't really go wrong with BBTS selling complete waves 3 and 4, with chases, for $8 and $11 respectively, or a case of 12 Razor singles for $39 bucks. And FYE stores having series 1 and 2 two-packs for $.94 cents, and the Cylon 5-pack for $4. I did have to pay full price for some of the 2-packs and for the Kat exclusive and Razor 5-pack for instance, but I think I more than made up for it with some of the steals I got on many other items.

But now I wish I had supported the line sooner, sure it would have cost me more, but maybe these last waves would have come out. I need to close out my collection now... there's a gaping whole in my shelf without them... these last two waves and the new caprica box set really need to make it out!

I can't believe there's not an etailer (AFX) or group of etailers maybe that are willing to pool their resources and order a 1000 piece per set run of these and charge extra for them. $10 a set maybe. $25 for the new caprica set. If crappy sets like the Iron Man Hostile Takeover sets can make it out with a 2000 piece run, why can't these ?

Edited by sha_ckwave

Dude, I love BSG. I buy whatever I can, I even go after the QMX Ship Replicas (go ahead and look how much they cost :(). But one thing I have learned from the constant clearance sales is that BSG don't sell above cost. I wish it did. I wish Hasbro did more when they had the license. I hope the DST action figures will continue past wave four. I really hope that the Starbuck bust gets released. You say there is "obviously a demand" from collectors? And how many collectors is there? Fifty of us? A hundred? Just because a handful of collectors have a loud "voice" to get these made does not mean there is great demand in the market. DST seems to know that which is why the only chance these get made is if a specific retail picks them up.

I am sorry if I am coming off as a dick. You who know me know that I want these like crazy, but I honestly see these going the way of SF2.

Also, one more thing. Those of you who really wanted to see these released, did you actually try to make sure these were made (when they were a preorder) or just hoping they would come out. By that I mean did you order a set from an online store or order a case through you LCS. That makes a big difference.

I wish I had insider information! My only intent was to say that, sooner or later, we will hear something, positive or negative, about these.

To answer Pickle's query, I did indeed have the final waves and New Caprica on preorder through BBTS - but not cases of them. In fact, I've been an ardent supporter of this line since the very beginning. I bought a case of Wave 1, and paid full preorder price for everything since - except the Kat 2pack, which I bought at a premium via eBay. In retrospect, I really wish I had followed the same route sha_ckwave did, as I could have saved a bundle of money. In fact, the experience of collecting BSG 'mates has put me off preordering entirely.

I honestly think these will die a silent and anonymous death.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's my distinct impression that once a line goes cold, it's as good as dead... all this "on hold" and "showing the line around" talk is just throwing the fans a bone until the hype of Ghostbusters or Wolverine provide a distraction.

Face it - As long as there are more Spidermen and Wolverine's to make, these are gonna sit on a back burner until they're forgotten Any suggestion by DST to the contrary is pretty much lip service

Well, I just got the nail in the coffin for both Wave 5 and Wave 6 mere moments ago from Big Bad Toy Store. They finally got around to sending the notice that these have been canceled by DST. :(

I knew that was going to happen, but I did not want to see it. As with all of these posts, hopefully that just means that these assortments are being shot into the sun. Maybe there is hope that some (if not all) of these great characters will make it to Earth.

In terms of the essentials for me, it is the remaining 7 Cylons and New Caprica Kara. While Romo would be nice, as would Baltar and one of the two Sixes we saw, they are not as essential, to me, for completing the line. Hotdog or Racetrack would be great, especially with those two new outfits, again, they are not essential.

These 8 characters would make for a great $50 boxset. I would easily buy 3, possibly more depending on the outfits the characters end up getting. But that is my two cents on completing this line, despite the announcement from BBTS.

This thread unfortunately reminds me of 'that girl who I don't love any longer & have gotten over....it took time...but hey I'm over her :)

........then you see her again :(

If truer words were ever spoken, they would be in the New Testament.

This thread is starting to remind me of the old Titanium Basestar Hasbro once promised us. Curse you BBTS for teasing us like the girl next door. Curse you!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So AFX said they are going to have 1 more boxset for SDCC right?

I'm hoping it has something to do with BSG, seeing as how in the last Q & A, they said if any of these sets are released, it would be in a different form and AFX seems to be pushing alot of boxsets lately....so.....any speculations?

I'm hoping it has something to do with BSG, seeing as how in the last Q & A, they said if any of these sets are released, it would be in a different form and AFX seems to be pushing alot of boxsets lately....so.....any speculations?

Can't we let this die in piece?? Horse-beating sticks ready??

We already found out what the last box set was...well, not technically. They gave us a silhouette of 4 and we're guessing. There isn't a chance it's BSG.

Can't we let this die in piece?? Horse-beating sticks ready??

We already found out what the last box set was...well, not technically. They gave us a silhouette of 4 and we're guessing. There isn't a chance it's BSG.

I think it probably would die in peace, except DST keeps teasing with false hope that something is gonna happen - as was the case in today's Q&A. Once again, they decided to emphasize the "on hold" aspect of that line. DST are the ones who keep this alive...

I think it probably would die in peace, except DST keeps teasing with false hope that something is gonna happen - as was the case in today's Q&A. Once again, they decided to emphasize the "on hold" aspect of that line. DST are the ones who keep this alive...

I agree. If DST decides to answer a question about it, even if they're saying nothing, of course there's going to be posting in this thread. I don't like that they seem to be leading us on, but it's understandable that people are going to want to comment. I don't see why people feel the need to pop in and say "Stop beating a dead horse!"

Of course, I guess I could do something more useful with my time, like go vote for Symbiote Bond Spider-Man...

I agree. If DST decides to answer a question about it, even if they're saying nothing, of course there's going to be posting in this thread. I don't like that they seem to be leading us on, but it's understandable that people are going to want to comment. I don't see why people feel the need to pop in and say "Stop beating a dead horse!"

Of course, I guess I could do something more useful with my time, like go vote for Symbiote Bond Spider-Man...

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the replies, its been a couple years since the street fighter line "officailly" ended, and people still post. So if you want to call it beating a dead horse, so be it, cuz I'll keep posting and holding on to the smallest hope that these will someday be made available to finish out the series for everyone that wants them. ;)

Edited by mav-man