UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dark Avengers box set

CortherX

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SDCC is fun and I'm not trying to poo poo it for anyone . . . I'm just old and remeber it from "back in the day"

S'okay. We promise to keep our dad-blasted music turned down and to stay off your lawn too.

is there an official checklist of SDCC exclusive mates yet?

Here's what we know:

AFX Exclusives

• Champions box set
  • Thunderbolts box set
  • T2 Attack on Cyberdyne box set
  • Fan Boy key chains

• Black
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Red

TRU Exclusives

• Dark Avengers box set

DST Exclusives

• Dark Avengers box set (#2)
  • Ghostbusters Peter/Stay-Puft 2-pack

No word on the potential for any DST giveaways (excess DST/AA blanks, Unification Spock, etc).

Out of all of that, I'd say the only ones anyone really has to worry about are the Fan Boy keychains, since the AFX exclusives will be up on AFX, along with likely everything else. TRU will have the Dark Avengers set on their site, and the DST exclusives tend to make their way to all the online retailers too.

sorry if its been pre-posted but shouldnt venom scorpion spiderman watever he is have 4 legs on the spider symbol it only has 3 on the da minimates

Good eye.

i may not be as retarded as i look-er uh sound-er uh read yeah

and are you thbe one who runs mmhq if so good tio speak to you

is there an official checklist of SDCC exclusive mates yet?

Here's what we know:

Out of all of that, I'd say the only ones anyone really has to worry about are the Fan Boy keychains, since the AFX exclusives will be up on AFX, along with likely everything else. TRU will have the Dark Avengers set on their site, and the DST exclusives tend to make their way to all the online retailers too.

thanks man =)

I appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I would wait to see them appear at your comic shop. . .but I wouldn't necessarily order them now, either. I don't think you will have a problem finding any of the SDCC 4 packs online once they are released.

so are these only available thru the websites or the Con itself? should i put my order in now, or wait to see if they show up at my LCS?

The first Dark Avengers set (Iron Patriot, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Marvel Boy) is slated to be available at the show at the Entertainment Earth booth and also online at TRU.com. Whether or not it will make its way to TRU stores or LCS is anyone's guess at this point, though I think TRU stores have a better chance of seeing them than LCS.

The second Dark Avengers set (Ms. Marvel, Ares, Sentry, Hawkeye) is slated to be available from the DST booth at the show. In the past, DST exclusives have made their way to the DST website, and sometimes eventually to LCS, though this is in no way guaranteed. Your best bet here is to either buy from the show if you're going, or order from an online site that will have runners at the show scooping this and other sets up.

Shipping cost concerns aside, AFX is probably the best site to try. At present, they're offering preorders for all their exclusives (3 box sets, with freebies of the Hostile Takeover box set and Web Armor Spider-Man), plus preorders for the second DA set as well as the Ghostbusters 2-pack. Then you'd only be hunting for the first DA set. Not many websites can offer that much gear in one go.

Waiting these sets out is a big gamble, as it depends on the set on how well it will perform. There's no guarantee that the AFX or TRU exclusives will even filter to the LCS level, and the sets that might even stand a chance (GB 2-pack and second DA set) may sell out long before Previews has a chance to solicit them. Still, with AFX swimming in excess Iron Man box sets and Web Armor Spideys, who is to say that their other exclusives won't see a similar fate. Like I said before, its a gamble either way. Hold out for local availability or lower prices and risk not being able to find the set at all. Buy it now, maybe only to find it as a packed in freebie or warming a local store peg later. I went with the safe bet and preordered now.

risk not being able to find the set at all.

Possible, but unlikely in my opinion that these will be hard to find. I wouldn't wait for sub-retail prices, but I also don't think it is necessary to pre-order them in order to assure that you will get them. 2,000 sets is a fair amount for Minimates, and I don't see the demand for these jacking up eBay prices. If these were He-Man figures, I might think differently.

I think the fact that there are so many exclusives will translate to more of them making it to the secondary market. I can't see everyone that goes buying all four set (plus T2 and Ghostbusters). I think most people will pick up some but not all. The question would then be which set might sell out? I tend to think the Champions set is the one to watch for. DA and T-bolts are cool, but I think the set with more well known characters might win out.

I agree with the notion that things aren't going to be predictable. We've never had so many exclusives available in a single show before. The current economic climate also dictates that people won't have as much disposable income, which increases the chances of picking and choosing.

A run of 2000 sets is more than it sounds, so it isn't like these will sell out within minutes. I'm just saying that no one can predict which of these sets will be the Must Have item of the show, and it doesn't seem to cost extra to preorder from any of the sites who are offering stock on these items. If you need them now, it doesn't hurt to preorder. If you can wait, then worst case scenario, you'll find yourself hunting one of these sets down, which may or may not get costly. That's why eBay and the Want/Have thread were invented though, so whichever route you take, the prize will still likely be at the end of the tunnel.

You can still find the Invaders set very, very readily. On sale in some places. The Civil War and Spider-Man Classics just recently started to pop up less frequently on eBay, dropping from common to once a month. Really only the GXM set is something I'd call rare.

Art Asylum has packaged shots of the TRU Dark Avengers set and if you look closely, it appears that Venom/Spiderman/Scorpion will come with a jagged tail. Very cool.

Art Asylum has packaged shots of the TRU Dark Avengers set and if you look closely, it appears that Venom/Spiderman/Scorpion will come with a jagged tail. Very cool.

I hope it is but I think it is actually Dakens mohawk hair piece. still looks like an awesome set!

Jeff of the Miniacs

I really hope that a tail is included with the T-Bolts Venom, just to help justify owning yet another Venom with a different paint job. Okay to help me justify it anyway.

both tbolts and DA are the highlights of sdcc IMO, and these packaging looks amazing!, wish I could pre-order this set now, guess I gotta wait till TRu has these online

I really hope that a tail is included with the T-Bolts Venom, just to help justify owning yet another Venom with a different paint job. Okay to help me justify it anyway.

Yeah - i've been hankering for a Scorpian/Feral Venom tail since the MiniMate was announced too.

I think the fact that there are so many exclusives will translate to more of them making it to the secondary market. I can't see everyone that goes buying all four set (plus T2 and Ghostbusters). I think most people will pick up some but not all. The question would then be which set might sell out? I tend to think the Champions set is the one to watch for. DA and T-bolts are cool, but I think the set with more well known characters might win out.

I'm Going to pick up at least one of everything while Im there, though Ill have to bribe AFX for the keychains for the 2 days I dont have tickets for...There have to be others as psychotic as me.

Being a completist with the Marvel minimates and wanting all of the GB and T2 stuff I will be picking up all of the exclusives and hopefully some of those keychains. I love the exclusives but have to echo TBT who points out how much else there is to do at the show it is awesome!